The Sound of Hoof Beats.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sound of Hoof Beats.....

I recently had a problem with my truck. This is not directly related to our motorcycles but I post this in the hopes that what I’ve learned may help someone someday.

The truck is a 1985 GMC Vandura with a 350 cubic inch motor. It has a 4-barrel Quadra Jet Carburetor.

The problem:

After the engine sat overnight it would start up just fine. However, after about two to three minutes it would run like crap. I’m talking like at least three cylinders had dropped out. The engine would continue to run like this up until the point when the temperature gauge indicated that it was at operating temperature. After that point it ran perfectly. I could shut the engine off, let it cool for a couple of hours until it was cold to the touch, restart the engine and it would run just fine from cold all the way up to normal operating temperature. The problem only occurred after the engine and the truck had sat overnight. This started happening less than two weeks ago.

Working Theories:

Some component which was time or temperature sensitive was malfunctioning.
    Possible that at startup moisture was somewhere in the ignition system and the heat from the motor eventually dried it out.

Initial Corrective/Investigative Actions:

The spark plugs: All were good.
    The inside of the distributor cap: Clean and no indications of moisture.
    The electric choke: the coil inside had never worked so I had hard wired the choke butterfly in the fully open position. (I ruled this out as a potential problem.)
    All vacuum lines to the carburetor and emission systems were connected and I verified proper operation of all vacuum diaphragms/switches with a vacuum gauge and a vacuum source.

Since I didn’t find the “smoking gun” on this first pass I decided to make small changes like disconnecting/plugging various vacuum lines one at a time. (Have you seen the emissions layout for today’s modern vehicles?) The next day I would start the truck and look for any improvement/ worsening of the symptoms. If no improvement then I would reconnect the vacuum line and try another one. This led to a week long process of “change-test-reset” where every day I would try something new.

At the end of the week I tried disconnecting and plugging every single vacuum line/port from the carburetor: still no improvement. In my line of reasoning this ruled out everything except the carburetor itself: the Quadra jet. I had the choice of buying a rebuild kit and doing it myself or buying a remanufactured Quadra jet online for about $300.00.

The Answer:

While I was in the parts store pricing a rebuild kit (So very much looking forward to doing that here in the Pacific Northwest on a cold/wet/miserable day….), I spoke with the young lady at the parts counter and told her what my trucks symptoms were. She listened patiently and then came out from behind the counter, walked through the store and led me to the aisle where the fuel additives were. She picked up a can of “Sea-Foam” and handed it to me.

“All the stations around here have water in the fuel.” she said.
    “Use this right now and put a bottle of this”, she handed me a container of HEET, “every time you fuel up.”

With nothing left to lose I followed the young ladies advice. That was the only “change” that I did to the truck that very day. The next day of course the engine started and ran properly through the entire heat range from cold all the way to normal temperature. One week later the truck is still symptom free.

Conclusion:

I never used any type of fuel additive whatsoever in the time that I have owned my truck. All this time the moisture that was in the fuel was collecting at the bottom of my fuel tank and had finally reached the point where it was being siphoned in by the fuel pickup during the initial start/warm up. The truck/tank sitting overnight allowed all the water to settle enough to be a problem.

Final Thoughts:

I had spent considerable time trying to figure out what was wrong with my truck and was about to by a new $300.00 carburetor which in the end would not have solved the problem. As part of the troubleshooting process I should have started by ensuring that the fuel itself was not the problem.

“When you hear the sound of hooves, look for horses….not zebras.”

Good to hear that you learned about Heet. We have to use it regularly here in the winter, or that water becomes ICE and the fuel lines freeze shut. I am glad it was that simple!
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I happen to drive a GMC Vandura 6.2 diesel (with mods)
      I learned to get my fuel from high volume sellers (I fuel up at a local truck stop)
      Less likely to get bum fuel and as long as I'm just running local don't need any additives.

On a GMC 3500 454 with throatal body fuel injection ran into the same problem and cured the same way by fueling at high volume dealers.
      Discount gas is good if they have the business.

mro

Comment

Methylated spirit

works to get rid of water in fuel, may be cheaper option.

Comment

+1 on HEET.
          Trying to defrost your car when it's minus it-don't-matter outside is no fun.
          I believe ethanol makes this problem even worse at very low temps.
          XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
            +1 on HEET.
            Trying to defrost your car when it's minus it-don't-matter outside is no fun.
            I believe ethanol makes this problem even worse at very low temps.
            Eh....

Heet is mostly ethanol. Ethanol is soluble in both water and gasoline. The test for seeing how much ethanol is in gasoline involves adding water until it will no longer dissolve, then the known amount of dissolved water indicates the amount of ethanol.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Power Service from Napa.......white bottle diesel fuel additive when it's cold(below freezing), better known as cetane.......a test was over Christmas in Rock Springs,Wyo. and one morning at -20 my 7.3 started like it was summertime. A good test and JMO.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                Eh....

Heet is mostly ethanol. Ethanol is soluble in both water and gasoline. The test for seeing how much ethanol is in gasoline involves adding water until it will no longer dissolve, then the known amount of dissolved water indicates the amount of ethanol.
                True, but when that mixture is cooled, it separates.
                The Heet absorbs the excess water that has come out of solution, along with whatever else condensed from the empty part of the tank.
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

Overall, i agree with using hi volume stations, and like i have said before, i only use Chevron. Sometimes Union 76.I have not had to put additives in my vehicles since i started this usage. It really doesn't get very cold here, except every once in a while. Another problem comes in when a person has been using a non ethanol fuel, and then switches to one that uses ethanol. Could be from the change to winter, or just a different distributor. The ethanol cleans out the system, and can plug filters, and injectors. Make sure if your area changes to ethanol, that you have replaced your filter recently. I have ran into this over the years a lot in the shop. For some reason the water doesn't work like water injection. LOL
                  Bob
                  1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                  1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                  A quick death and an easy one.
                  A pretty girl and an honest one.
                  A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Keeping your tank as close to full as possible helps also.

Keeps the (moist) air from causing condensation inside the tank. The more air, the more condensation.

Comment

Water, Water, Everywhere.....and:

The town I live in has a population of less than 4000 people. There are no 7-11's or Circle K "convenience " stores which offer fuel. There are however , two Chevrons, one Shell, and a truckstop called "Yorky's".

I do get all my fuel from the truck stop . So do most people apparently , as it is the only station which generally has a waiting line to fuel up . The owner of the truck stop checks the fuel prices of all the other gas stations in town and then adjusts his own price to be the lowest. I don't know which particular "brand" of fuel he sells and I will make a note of it to the next time I fuel up.

I guess that the area I live in has some definite disadvantages which contribute to "water in the fuel. " It is the Pacific northwest and located right next to the water . It's not like Alaska where it gets so cold that it snows and makes people with snowmobiles quite happy . Instead the temperature stays right above freezing most of the time and the relative humidity is comparable to what you would experience in your bathroom after you have taken a shower . (that is on a good day and when it rains the situation gets even worse ...)

I guess what I'm saying is that in this area it doesn't matter whether the fuel tank is installed in a vehicle or whether it is buried underground like in a fueling station . As the gas is pumped out the vent allows air to come inside . In my area the cold and wet and makes for a perfect combination leading to water in the fuel: Worse in the wintertime and bad all year around .

For my truck it looks like I'll have to go the "fuel additive" route. The fuel tank has no provision for draining the water out of the bottom nor does it have an inline water/fuel separator . The Quadra jet Carburetor does not have a drain plug in the bottom of its float bowl either .

Makes you really appreciate the way our bikes fuel system is designed , doesn't it ?

Comment

Ha..ha.. you could always install a settling bulb like on a John Deere.

Hmmm... sometimes I suprise myself!

That might not be a bad idea.

Comment

Working...
                        X