Why not buy cheap tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not buy cheap tools?

For the longest time, being on a very tight budget, I've picked up what tools I can when I can. This tradition continues, but for a shift in quality. I'm done grabbing up cheap crap to have on hand. In particular this has been my habit with sockets. I'd get the dirt cheap ones and consider them throwaway.

Picture this: You're on the side of the highway, and need to get a seized bolt off. Traffic's whizzing by at 75, 80 miles an hour. Morons are honking of course and the occasional slushy flies your way, though aggravatingly NEVER landing bottom down and full, nor with a fresh straw. You're torquing on the last bolt you need to pull and CRACK, you fall back down the embankment. You're bruised and scraped, but your climb back isn't too bad though, since you've finally cracked that bolt. You slip the socket back over the head(good thing you didn't drop the ratchet on the way down) and you give it some pressure, but the socket slips off. You try again and of course a third time. Then you realize you didn't break the "seal" on the bolt. You busted your socket. Not a fun situation.

Had this been the case, I wouldn't have had photographs of the offending thingy( a socket it can not be considered), since I'd have hurled it as far as possible. Likely I'd have lost my ratchet as well, since in my agitation, I likely would have forgotten to disconnect it from the offending item before sending it careening through the air.

As it was, this lesson came relatively painlessly. I only gouged up my hand. I can't much complain having been in a comfy, heated, cigar-smoke filled workshop with a Maxim calendar and an Al Hirt record to assuage my grievous aggravation.

The offending item(click to enlarge):

So no more cheap crap for me. Time to grow up I guess. I'm going to start buying Snap-On and Craftsman, like most of the other self-respecting adult gear-heads I know, even though I'm likely going to have to do it one piece at a time.

I think I'll start with a 12mm socket.

-Spider
    1978 XS1100
    "Of all the adversaries I have faced, I was the worst."

Lesson learned. Spare no expense when it comes to tools. Buy em once and never buy them again. My Dad and I share my Grandad's tools which have lasted decades. I am partial to Craftsman because they have never let me down as long as I take care of them. I always bring my craftsman pliers, wire cutters, needle nose, and crescent wrench out to sea. Surprisingly, those basic tools are the ones that go missing the most on a ship. They go through a lot but have never failed me. In fact, they have bailed me out of some tight spots.
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

Comment

I have some of my father, grandfather and great grandfather's tools that are still in use. My ratchets were a gift from my father(not the sockets) when I got my first bike(A 650 Maxim). All gramp's mechanic tools are American though, not a metric tool in the shop, so for the Japanese bikes, I had to start acquiring metric. The old hand carpentry tools still work nicely though, as does the SAE mechanic stuff.
      Last edited by Spider; 12-23-2009, 01:04 AM.
      1978 XS1100

Comment

Craftsmans motto used to be "The tools men swear by, not at". Don't think that is PC any more. No offense to any of the fairer sex here.

Plenty of my fathers and G-fathers tools in the box.

If I could afford it. it was always the Craftsman tools. Exception being the Snap-On screw extractor set. Best money ever spent.
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

You know, I just took one of my Craftsman sockets in for an exchange due to the same thing happening. First one in 20 years though. I also used to own the Buffalo brand of sockets sold at Big Lots and the like. I did ALOT of side fo the road repairs with those sockets and the only thing that ever failed me was the ratchet itself would strip out.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Craftsman tools are not the same that your grandfather used .They are cheap chinese junk .The company that used to make craftsman ,makes Husky (home depot).Snap off also makes the Kobalt line (lowes).Look for Christmas sales on a set

Comment

I chime in with the rest of the comments on tools. My origional starter set was given to me by my dad when I was a kid. They're Craftsman and I still have almost the whole set, with the exception of a 1/4 ratchet that finally stripped (probably my fault for not using the right tool for the job). I too have been victim of cheap junk as well. My wife and I enjoy flee markets and you can always find someone selling tools. I bought a set of open end wrenches that came in a fancy pouch from such a dealer once. Shortly after purchasing my new wrenches I had the occasion to use them on the from end of my 1960 Ford PU. I placed the wrench on one of the front axle bolts and attempted to loosen it. When I couldn't do it by hand I placed my foot on the end of the wrench and grab the inside of the fender well and gave it all I had. I felt the wrench move. Thats great now if I can get the rest of them loose that easy. I reached under the truck to move the wrench to the next bolt and to my amazement the bolt hadn't moved at all but now I did have a horse shoe shaped wrench, prefect for getting around corners.
              Rev.Rick

What I ride now: 1980 XS1100 Special

What I used to Ride: 1980 XS850, 1984 Honda V65 Sabre, 1974 Honda CB750 ss, Yamaha YZ 480 (bored YZ400), Kawasaki 500 triple

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me! John Newton (1725-1807)

Comment

cheap throwaway tools ???? slushi ???? honking ???? traffic ???? falling down hill ???? i can not imagine.......[/IMG]http://travel.webshots.com/photo/127...w?vhost=travel
                Last edited by mxmikie; 12-23-2009, 08:35 AM.
                careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Cheap tools are good if you don't use them. I buy cheap stuff for home and replace them with quality tools if I break them. It doesn't make sense to have Snap-On tools collecting dust. (speaking for myself) I carry quality tools with me on my job.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

"Craftsmans motto used to be "The tools men swear by, not at". Don't think that is PC any more. No offense to any of the fairer sex here."

Damned good motto.

" cheap throwaway tools ???? slushi ???? honking ???? traffic ???? falling down hill ???? i can not imagine.......[/IMG]http://travel.webshots.com/photo/127...w?vhost=travel"

Looks like a nice place to visit. I like heading out places that don't seem to have a lot of people around. The slushy was actually something that's happened to me. I wasn't fixing a bike, I was walking, and some idiot in town thought it would be funny. I walked everywhere then though, and got tired of idiots in cars, so I used to carry rocks in my pocket. I got a slushy on the leg of my pants(Thank heavens it WAS a slushy), and they got a nice bone of the earth in their back window. Even trade I think...

"Cheap tools are good if you don't use them. I buy cheap stuff for home and replace them with quality tools if I break them. It doesn't make sense to have Snap-On tools collecting dust. (speaking for myself) I carry quality tools with me on my job."

Generally I don't buy it if I'm not going to use it(at some point haha).

What I did this winter was assemble an OTR tool kit. I'm using it to overhaul the bike. That way I know that I can actually use what's in the kit to get the job done, and it gives me the chance to augment it and swap out as necessary.

I'll keep my eye out for after Christmas sales... gee that's going to hurt :P
                    1978 XS1100

Comment

rev. rick has the rite idea, you can always pick up quality tools at a flea market. i also attend a lot of public auctions or estate sales where you can find box lots full of tools. sometimes i end up buying a whole box for one wrench or socket, and have all the rest for 'extra' or 'maybe i'll need it someday'. i never pay more for the whole box than i would pay for the one tool i want if it was new. great deals at these types of sales.
                      testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

more pics of dog than blonde?

Originally posted by mxmikie View Post
                        cheap throwaway tools ???? slushi ???? honking ???? traffic ???? falling down hill ???? i can not imagine.......[/IMG]http://travel.webshots.com/photo/127...w?vhost=travel

nice shots of the trip but you have more pics of the dog than that blonde on the bike.... at least it was a Yamaha!

John in San Antonio
                        John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                        '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                        Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                          nice shots of the trip but you have more pics of the dog than that blonde on the bike.... at least it was a Yamaha!

John in San Antonio
                          thats my daughter
                          careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Originally posted by mxmikie View Post
                            thats my daughter
                            Awkward!!
                            Joe

78XS1100

Comment

Moving on from JW's social faux pas

I like a mix of cheap and high quality tools. I get a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight that if I was using for a business I would never touch. But seeing that most of my work is only done in the Man Cave when time permits, El Cheapo brands do me OK.

For example, I bought a small mig welder for a little over 100 bucks with a 3 year warranty that allows me to get a new one if it quits. It's difficult to use and has it's limitations, but it allowed me to build a XS650 street tracker, XS650 hot rodded rebuild, and now my XS1100. And it still works. So, it saved me a couple hundred bucks. Don't get me wrong, if I had the bucks and need to justify it, a Miller welder would be sitting in the Man Cave

Most of the time I use my good wrenches and sockets. But when I was installing the cams on my XS1100 I didn't have a good wrench that would fit to turn the cams during alignment. So I found an old 22mm wrench and ground it to fit. Sure made that job easier

So in Masher's humble opinion (if there is such a thing as Masher having a humble opinion), get the good stuff as much as possible, but when in a pinch, just use what works
                              My heros have always been flat trackers.

Comment

Working...
                              X