Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left out!

Hi everyone!
    Reading all the posts from all of you who can ride right now makes me feel somewhat left out. It was -30 at night and -5 and snowing during the day last week here. So I have absolutely no input in the XS11 realm for now. Here are some pics from what I have been doing. At least it is good weather for this

We have had to be careful as there are already avalanche warnings (pretty early in the season for that). We set some off last weekend hillclimbing in 5-6 feet of bottomless snow. There is no base yet, and so right now it is taking all 185 hp that the sled makes to just stay on top of the snow! I miss my bike, but...
    Oh, and for those who complain about mileage on the XS, this sled is getting about 5 miles to the gallon in this kind of snow!
    I really did miss having any input here. I am following along regularly, though!

Merry Christmas
    Last edited by T99Ford; 12-22-2009, 09:39 PM.
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Man that looks like a lot of fun!!!!

I don't miss the -30 temps up there above the Arctic Circle though.

My oldest son is moving back down here from Billings in 2 or 3 weeks because he's tired of it, and the economy there. I'll be glad to have him closer again although I'm pretty sure he'll p*ss me off again.

That's pretty much a given with kids.

SLED ON BRO'............. NICE machine!

Comment

Hey Greg!
      The economy here is kind of the pits right now, particularly in the construction markets. I run an ag and industrial shop, and we have almost quit any kind of industrial construction equipment repair, except what is being used on the ranches. We have been lucky for that, but have had to pull back a little too.
      Most of the time I don't mind the cold, but when it gets below -30, you kind of just tend to zombie around and try to stay warm (of course, that is when EVERYONE forgets to mix diesel fuel and finds out their block heaters don't work)

Good luck with your soon to be full house, and ride the XS for me.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Can understand minus 30

Been in a few industrial freezers around the country. At this moment it is 100 fahreinheit (37.8C) in the shade on my back verandah. Good weather for a cool drink eh?

Comment

Good luck with your soon to be full house, and ride the XS for me.
          HA..... burned a FULL tank out of her last sunday and I could still feel my fingers and toes when I got home.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Comment

that is a stinker man..... the high here for tomorrow is supposed to be +70F Ill be hopefully riding if I finish my tranny swap.

Although you look like you are having more fun than me!
            Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
            1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
            XJ maxim rear air shocks
            KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
            Pod Filters

Money pit.......
            BLACKED OUT

Comment

I finally figured out that if I am going to live here, I had better have two hobbies so that I could enjoy the cold and the warm. What I have found is that it is really hard to look at the unused out of season piece, though. It did finally warm to 20 F Sunday, and I went and started the bike and let it warm up. They are now calling for more snow (up to 7" down here, and 12-14 in the mountains), and temps back down to 0.

Our drinks are all either hot in temperature now, or the other kind, after which you can't really drive

Kirmit: I have been following your progress. Good luck getting it on the road!

Comment

Originally posted by cueball View Post
                been in a few industrial freezers around the country. At this moment it is 100 fahreinheit (37.8c) in the shade on my back verandah:d. Good weather for a cool drink eh?
                smart ass

May you be fried to a crisp in the hot sun!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Comment

Thanks for checking in ford.Looks like fun.I sold my sled planning on replacing it with a newer faster one.But business has slowed enough that I don't feel that buying new toys would be very responsible right now.I guess I'll have to sit this winter out.Small price to pay considering the hardship that some have to endure right now.Merry Christmas

Terry
                  1980 special (Phyllis)
                  1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Terry,
                    That's tough for sure, but as you say, it could be worse. What were you riding, and what are you looking to get eventually?

Comment

t71Ford,

Good to see you posting again! Haven't seen ya around for a while... now we know why!

While the sled looks like a blast... if it were me... I'd seriously have to consider a Southern climate winter home so I could keep on ridin'...

You could always come down here! We'll ride w/ ya!

Holy cow, man! -30... even snowmobiling would be out of season for me at that temp... don't do frostbite! Count me out.... 0-'s about my limit...
                      Looks like you were tearin' it up, though!

Worked out in those sub -0- temps too many days in the past because some idiot boss wanted to score some brownie points... coldest I can remember was winter of '92, years ago here in Tulsa... temp -23, w/c -35... working for Tulsa Cable.... yeah cable TV... in temps like that... had to remember, everybody else, (all the WISE ones) were home snug as a bug in a rug... watching cable, thanks to us guys out in it.
                      I no longer have to punch a clock & go like that... self employed.
                      Has lots of drawbacks... but does have it's benifits!

Ya know... maybe there is something to this global warming thing... it hasn't been that cold here in a long time... lot's more extended riding seasons...
                      Naaaahhhh!

Glad to hear from ya, ford!
                      Tear it up!
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by t71ford View Post
                        Terry,
                        That's tough for sure, but as you say, it could be worse. What were you riding, and what are you looking to get eventually?
                        580 kat fi I got from a friend who wrecked it.Rebuilt and added long track and a new tunnel.Had a lot of fun blew motor and rebuilt twice then sold.I have a friend that owns Polaris dealership.I test drove several demos and liked the 900 the best.I know there's other stuff out there but when you have friends in the business you're kind of locked in.He also sells Victory and KTM motorcycles.So far I've been able to avoid buying one of those.

Terry
                        1980 special (Phyllis)
                        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

We had 70 degree today. I can't imagine 30 below. Take care!
                          '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                          Original except:
                          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                          Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                          All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                          Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

They are calling for -12 tonight! Darn the luck, it won't snow when it is that cold! But sun on a 0 degree day on the snow looks real pretty...

All you people and your 70 degreesI hope you are happy and riding your XS's

Terry: Nothing wrong with buying a Polaris. If you got a friend in the business, it might mean your warranty is worth something. If I remember right, the 900 was kind of problem prone due to vibration, but was a powerhouse. The 800 Dragon is the one I would get if I was to get a Polaris. They do fit really well right out of the box; they are similar in feel to the Cats.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Comment

Current sled is a 2005 Yamaha RX-1. Previous sled was a '96 Arctic Cat Bearcat.

I started snowmobiling ('68) before I had my first bike ('69). Missed some years when I was in Oregon and Arizona, but have always enjoyed getting out and riding my sleds. There is country you will never see from the back of a bike that you will see from the seat of a sled. Just because it snows doesn't mean you can't have fun!
                              Jerry Fields
                              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                              '06 Concours
                              My Galleries Page.
                              My Blog Page.
                              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                              X