X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A surprising thing

Seems that the next major menace to the USA are these things:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder_Surprise
    To my utmost astonishment I read in this morning's paper that the US customs and Border Patrols will be devoting extreme efforts to searching Christmas parcels sent into the US in order to detect and confiscate any Kinder Surprise toys that may be in them. Seems that the handgun capital of the world is threatened by a child's toy.
    Who'd'a thought it?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Hey, I have an idea!!! Try to send me one and see if it gets here I bought a handle bar from andreas and the friggin border patrol took it out for some reason..... bastards.
    Austin Ingalls

MIDNIGHT FURY
    1979 XS1100 Special [Full Restore Project]
    XJ maxim rear air shocks
    KERKER 4-into-1 exhaust
    Pod Filters

Money pit.......
    BLACKED OUT

Comment

Well, I for one, am glad to see our government protecting us from toys in lumps of chocolate.

Thanks for the heads up Fred. I know my tax dollars are being well spent.

I guess it's a bigger problem than the flow of narcotics, huh?
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

In The Grand Scheme...

Fred,

I agree that it looks odd to do this but only if you look at this action in isolation , you know? Not part of the larger context?

Fact is that on this side of the parallel we are trillions of dollars in debt . That is much more than any single generation of taxpayers would be able to pay off . So we gotta think "long term" and multi-generations here .

Those confiscations and import bans on these little "chocolate menaces " serve to prevent any of our future taxpayers from choking and dieing before they reach the age of sixteen . Just for argument's sake I will concede the fact that any kid who would would have choked to death on these "surprises" would at best be suited for a lifelong position which paid minimum wage and required him/her to always ask, "would you like fries with that?"

they don't have to be that bright anyway . They just have to be bright enough to find a mate and make more little taxpayers who will require protection from choking hazards as well .

See? We need every inch of ground here . (or in your case every 2.54mm ....)

Comment

Rotflmao

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
          Fred,

I agree that it looks odd to do this but only if you look at this action in isolation , you know? Not part of the larger context?

Fact is that on this side of the parallel we are trillions of dollars in debt . That is much more than any single generation of taxpayers would be able to pay off . So we gotta think "long term" and multi-generations here .

Those confiscations and import bans on these little "chocolate menaces " serve to prevent any of our future taxpayers from choking and dieing before they reach the age of sixteen . Just for argument's sake I will concede the fact that any kid who would would have choked to death on these "surprises" would at best be suited for a lifelong position which paid minimum wage and required him/her to always ask, "would you like fries with that?"

they don't have to be that bright anyway . They just have to be bright enough to find a mate and make more little taxpayers who will require protection from choking hazards as well .

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            Seems that the handgun capital of the world.....
            That's the only line that stuck out for me, guess I need to finally break down and buy a handgun then.
            http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
              That's the only line that stuck out for me, guess I need to finally break down and buy a handgun then.
              Hi Blue,
              my point is that you can go and buy yourself a handgun but you can only get a chocolate egg with a toy in it by smuggling it across the Canadian border.
              OTOH we Canadians can go buy all the toy filled chocolate eggs we want but can only get a handgun by smuggling it across the US border.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Larrym View Post
                Fred,

Missed it by a power of 10. (25.4mm to an inch) 2.54CM to an inch
                Last edited by 81xsproject; 12-19-2009, 09:24 AM.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                  Hi Blue,
                  my point is that you can go and buy yourself a handgun but you can only get a chocolate egg with a toy in it by smuggling it across the Canadian border.
                  OTOH we Canadians can go buy all the toy filled chocolate eggs we want but can only get a handgun by smuggling it across the US border.
                  I know our handgun acquiring laws aren't as stringent as a lot of other places but I think we will be there soon enough.
                  http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue View Post
                    I know our handgun acquiring laws aren't as stringent as a lot of other places but I think we will be there soon enough.
                    Hi Blue,
                    so now is the time to buy, eh? Back when all a Canadian had to do to buy a rifle or a shotgun was walk into almost any department store and lay his money down, I had several hunting weapons. Sold 'em all when I moved to city living.
                    Today's regulations are such that I'd hate to jump through all of those hoops to replace them.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Awwh, Fiddlesticks!!!!

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
                      Missed it by a power of 10. (25.4mm to an inch) 2.54CM to an inch
                      Absolutely right! But I was hoping that Fred would have busted my chops on this. That way he might have replied with a "bad math skills might be a direct link to a trillion dollar debt load." kinda answer. I'd have said something along the lines of "Ya don't need math skills to balance a budget when the banks will always raise your credit limit.." That discussion had some real potential.....

BTW, the fact that you caught me on this has me equally confused/impressed at the same time. It's important to be able to tell MM and inches apart especially when one is setting the float levels on XS1100 carbs. But to be caught by the one guy that I know doesn't even have/use carbs/floats anymore really makes my brain hurt....

Comment

Man, who would have thought?
                        My younger brother is one of the Kinder Egg geeks that still gets them and trades the toys with other around the world. I have "smuggled" some of those eggs back into the US when he gave them to my daughters. I still have a set of lawn darts too, so I expect to be on some government list of subversives any day now.
                        I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Power of TEN?

Sorry, but it was only one decimal place whereas the power of ten would be a LOT MORE!
                          '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                          Original except:
                          120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                          4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                          Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                          All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                          Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

I sure feel safer now and am sleeping better at night. God Bless our chocolate egg partol.
                            Last edited by mstic2000; 12-20-2009, 10:27 PM.
                            My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X