No announcement yet.

sign of the times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My kids know that i will allow about two texts on my phone, after that if they want me, they better call and talk. My 26 year old daughter, and my 28 year old Daughter in Law text crap all the time. With my fat fingers, and slow brain it would take ten minues to send a short message that way.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
      My kids know that i will allow about two texts on my phone, after that if they want me, they better call and talk. My 26 year old daughter, and my 28 year old Daughter in Law text crap all the time. With my fat fingers, and slow brain it would take ten minues to send a short message that way.
      She has her own phone. That's how I keep track of her.

I can't texed either. Crap! I only use 1 finger when I type.

I won't say which one but it ain't my thumb.

Comment

What pisses me off? My wife was telling me the other day that they have created ringtones for cell phones that adults can't hear, and they market them at kids/teens... What has the world come to when cell phone companies are trying to enable the delinquency of the youth to turn a buck?
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by 81xsproject View Post
          What pisses me off? My wife was telling me the other day that they have created ringtones for cell phones that adults can't hear, and they market them at kids/teens... What has the world come to when cell phone companies are trying to enable the delinquency of the youth to turn a buck?
          Woah. I haven't heard of this. I really try to keep "in the know" about my kids lives and all the stuff they are exposed to. You got any more info on that? This is something I should really follow up on.
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

On the flip side of that, there is also a market for devices that work the same way, kids/teens can hear but adults can't, that are annoying/painful to listen to. shop keeps are using them to deter congregations of youngsters in front of their shops.
            K. Johnson
            -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
            triple clean and boots
            -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
            replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
            -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
            $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

I think I got it

So, kids hear the Hannah Montana and Yugio ringtones but adults can't/won't hear them.
              Kids ignore or are annoyed by sounds like "take the garbage out, mow the lawn, do your homework".
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hi '81,
                to be fair, they are using that same technology to drive the little bastards out of shopping malls with obnoxious sounds that adults can't hear.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

You got any more info on that?

What it is.. is as we get older, most of us lose the outer limits of our hearing.. very high and very low tones. They have a "Ring tone" that is just a solid pitch note that is higher than most over about 30-35 yo can hear. A couple years ago, I could hear it if I was fairly close to the phone's speaker, but man, you should have seen the younger ones squirming and shouting at you to quit it! lol.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own