Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My "G" just turned 20!!

20K miles that is....
    And I just got her back on the road again after about 8 months of on and off restoration of it. Mostly off, 'cause I was a lazy bum about it and had the J to ride until my son slammed into a parked car.....
    That put me on the fast track to finish the G and have a ride to use. Anyway, had it down to the frame, engine and rear end. Painted the engine, polished the aluminium, etc., you know the drill. Tell me whay you think of it.

And this is how it started out four years ago... and got me hooked on the XS11's

1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Sweeeet, nice job! Like them rotors.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Cobia,
      Awesome, dude! That is beautiful!

Love the exhaust, windshield, LED's on each side of the tag that flash... chrome looks great!

Excellent example of what a Standard should look like.

Wow... sorry to hear that about your son! Is he ok? Did the XJ survive?

And... like Phil... dig the drilled rotors, too!
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Thanks guys!!
        My son is OK, he was just easing out of the carport and turning left when he got confused with the controls or something. Instead of making a hard left he didn't quite make it and slammed into the car that was parked to the left and in front of him. (If that makes sense!!)
        It sounded as if he accelerated when pushing the bars with his right arm and didn't know enough to pull the clutch in to prevent further forward movement.
        He's fine, just a bump below his right knee.
        The XJ..... bent right fork (and left maybe??), destroyed the front fender, sheared off the front bolts holding the fender and the forkbrace to the forks, and the slipstreamer windshield shattered.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Well, well...
          Man, glad to hear he didn't get hurt seriously, Cobia!
          Sounds like the XJ did though... any luck w/ parts yet?

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

There are a ton of parts on ebay for an XJ, just have to look under XS1100 for them. (see my thread on lesson learned about ebay)

The G is looking slick!! Alot of work and very nicely done!!

Glad your son is ok to. I know a few folks that did something similar and tore their legs up badly.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Yes, it could have been worse but he only travelled 25' to 30' with the power rolled on. You should see the door and the rocker panel of the car. Maybe I'll post a pictures tomorrow and show you the distance and the damage. My son is a big boy too, 6'5", 235 or so. I'm just sooooo glad his face, or any other part, didn't get cut with the shattered windshield. It was a real big eye opener for me to see how it broke and what was left behind to cause bodily injury.

I got a set of forks ($100) from someone on ebay who said they were perfect... Well, everybody has different standards shall we say. They have some pitting but not in the travel area and I may be able to turn them around so you can't readily see them. I'm now soaking the bottom bolts in PB Blaster so I can start on them tomorrow. Plan on taking them apart and cleaning them before installing them. They seem to have good seals, still holding air. The Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield was $65 on fleabay, originally paid $75. But I've yet to find a clean front fender...HINT, HINT!!
              Amazingly the fender on the G looks surprisingly similar in size and design. I'm going to do some measuring tomorrow. Oh yeah, and I still don't know if the Telex (?) forkbrace survived intact???

This is what she looked like when I brought her home a year or so ago

1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Man, I usually don't like pinstriping or scrollwork... but that job on the tank I like! Followed the lines nice... let me guess... first thing you stripped and repainted, right? LOL

Good lookin' Maxim. Nice color.

That's too bad... if my boy'd done that to my pride & joy... I'd been grateful he was ok at first, then beat him within an inch 'til he requested an ambulance!!! HeHe... But, he does sound like a pretty big 'ole boy!! Maybe not...

Man, love those Kerker mufflers on the Standard... where & how much?
                Very nice... hope you get the XJ fixed back up soon... too bad that had to happen.

Take care and ride safe, Cobia. And your son, too!

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Yeah, I like the pinstriping on the tank too, trying to keep the tank intact.
                  The Kerker came with the bike. I also have a set of Jardine SS 4X2 turn outs that I may put on it and save the Kerker as a backup for any of the bikes.

They look killer painted flat black

Re: My son. Actually he took a ride around the neighborhood (his first) and did alright. He never shifted out of first, but made it back w/out issues and I parked it. It was I who later told him to go back out and practice some more......
                  Last edited by Cobia; 11-24-2009, 12:39 AM. Reason: adding pics
                  1980G Standard, Restored
                  Kerker 4 - 1
                  850 Rear End Mod
                  Automatic CCT
                  1980GH Special, Restored
                  '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

That was good thinkin', Pop...

If you ever decide to part w/ those Kerkers, let me know.

Bet they sound good...

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

Scene of the accident and the results

Here's a wide view looking from under the carport. All he had to do was turn left and he would've been on his way..... But, nooooo

Instead he went and performed this little feat.

And the bent fork, crushed fender, and sheared off bolts.

They look good together, don't they?

Oh well, soon they'll be running together.
                      1980G Standard, Restored
                      Kerker 4 - 1
                      850 Rear End Mod
                      Automatic CCT
                      1980GH Special, Restored
                      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

what is the brand of the winsheild?
                        Are they still available?
                        If so where can they be found?
                        Congrats on some really nice rides
                        http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/DSC00009.jpg
                        1980 XS1100 Std English Assembled, 378k miles
                        In stock untouched contion.
                        http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q...e/seatside.jpg
                        1979 XS1100F Std NZ new,
                        Mikes XS coils
                        Jardine 4-1
                        Pod filters
                        Harley Davidson Rear Fender
                        Bullet signal lights
                        Twin 75mm headlights
                        Self made single seat

Comment

Wow... he sure did a number on that car door!
                          Gees....

Door's one thing, but it screwed up the rocker, too!

Worse... just look at the poor forks & fender on that beautiful XJ! Ouch...

Good luck with the rebuild...

Was it someone else's car, or one of yours? I can't imagine which would be worse, though... hacked off neighbor, paying for it yourself out of pocket, or filing an insurance claim either way...

Sorry to hear that.

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

Comment

XJOK2PLAY,
                            As it turns out, we've yet to be able to contact the owner even though I know where he lives. Knocked on his door several times and didn't get an answer. I later found out the car doesn't run and they just pushed it and left it there!!
                            Yeah that rocker was more bondo than metal too. I'll just keep watching out for him.

subike
                            That's a Slipstreamer Spirit S-02 and still available. Cheapest place I found it was here for $157 US:
                            http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...=SLPS-S-02-C-M

Mine came with the J but I didn't like the way it looked on it so I put a Slipstreamer Spitfire in the smoke color. It fit really well.

Thanks for the compliments.
                            1980G Standard, Restored
                            Kerker 4 - 1
                            850 Rear End Mod
                            Automatic CCT
                            1980GH Special, Restored
                            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                            X