Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another airbrush job

Here is the hood on my new M1000, fresh from the paint booth:

This 1000 cc is replacing the 700 cc nitrous sled. It's piped and pushing around 185 hp, another 10hp more than the 700 on nitrous. I also finished polishing all the aluminum to mirror finish, and removing all the unnecessary weight. Here is the back of the aluminum tunnel. The gas can racks are gone, as well as the rubber pad. It is then sanded from 600 to 1500 grit paper, then with Soft Scrub, and then with Mother Billet Aluminum polish.

Here is the whole thing so far:

It has a 153 inch track, with 2.25 inch paddles. I am trying this set up for now, but may go longer and taller depending upon how it works. We got 14 inches of snow here on 11-11, so I am ready!

Thanks to everyone for your patience as I post my seemingly endless beginner airbrush projects!
    Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Certainly an interesting suspension system on that bob job.
    But, aren't the tires a little small??
    John
    Now: '78 XS1100E 750 FD Mod (Big Dog)
    '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
    '78 CB750F ( The F)
    '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
    New '82 Honda MB5 Ring Ding
    Then: '76 CB550K
    '78 CB750F
    '84 VF1100S
    And still Looking!

Comment

JJ,
      The suspension is pretty much stock, just lighter this year with the Fox airshocks to remove the standard suspension torsion springs. It is really light. I did two wheel the rear skid at the back, for more weight savings, and contemplated removing the front wheels too, but left them on for hard pack snow.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by t71ford View Post
        JJ,
        The suspension is pretty much stock, just lighter this year with the Fox airshocks to remove the standard suspension torsion springs. It is really light. I did two wheel the rear skid at the back, for more weight savings, and contemplated removing the front wheels too, but left them on for hard pack snow.
        I don't think he got it!
        John
        '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
        '78 CB750F ( The F)
        '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
        '78 CB750F
        '84 VF1100S
        And still Looking!

Comment

Originally posted by jjwaller View Post
          Certainly an interesting suspension system on that bob job.
          But, aren't the tires a little small??
          Most certainly sacasm.

Hey, looks great. I'd like to do some sledin' too but that I would have to (brrrr) be up there in that cold.

Sure is pretty in the mountains with fresh snow though.

Comment

Cold, Snow?? What the heck is that thing???
            John
            '81 CB900C ( 10 Speed)
            '78 CB750F ( The F)
            '76 CB400F ( The Elf)
            '78 CB750F
            '84 VF1100S
            And still Looking!

Comment

Originally posted by jjwaller View Post
              Cold, Snow?? What the heck is that thing???
              Snowmobile
              From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Jump to: navigation, search

A snowmobile tour at Yellowstone National ParkA snowmobile, also known in some places as a snowmachine[1], sled[2], or skimobile [3], is a land vehicle for travel on snow that is commonly propelled by a continuous track or tracks at the rear and steered by skis at the front.

Early snowmobiles used rubber tracks, however modern snowmobiles typically have tracks made of a Kevlar composite. They are designed to be operated on snow and ice, and require no road or trail. Originally snowmobiles were typically powered by two-stroke gasoline/petrol internal combustion engines. Four-stroke engines are becoming more and more popular in snowmobiles. Noise and air pollution concerns and regulations are a driving factor in this transition.[citation needed] Summertime occupations for snowmobile enthusiasts can also involve drag racing on grass, asphalt strips, or even across water.

People who ride them commonly are known as snowmobilers. The main types of riding are Snowcross/racing, trail riding, freestyle, mountain climbing, Boondocking or Carving, and ditchbanging.

Comment

You free hand that or did you use any frisket and such?
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Sorry all, I did get the sarcasm, just failed to show it in my excitement to talk more about my sled This is most assuredly a mountain sled, though. And for anyone who thinks it is a cold sport has not tried to free a 500 lb sled from the bottom of a 4 foot tree well, or unstick a long track sled! I sweat more at 10 below than in 80 degree heat!

Ivan--It is all freehand with a few freehand templates to make the few hardlines. The picture is really poor, since I didn't use a flash in my garage. There is alot more detail, and the work is not as coarse as it looks here. If I can I will post a clearer picture when I get a chance. The main goal of this was to make a subliminal skull "appearing" out of the smoke. This whole hood took about an hour to airbrush, mostly because I kept getting interrupted, since there is no complex masking.

Comment

airbrush

what would you charge to airbrush a XJ tank ?
                    Thanks Tom
                    82 XJ DAILY RIDE
                    78 XS1100E FIXING UP
                    79 XS1100F PARTS BIKE
                    79 XS1100SF NAKED BIKE
                    80 XS1100SG FULL DRESS BIKE
                    82 XJ IN THE ROUGH

Comment

Sweet sled Ford.I live in the steep and deep and like mountain sleds also.Mine has been repainted a couple of times do to pine trees being placed wrong.Your polished aluminum is after my own heart.

Terry
                      1980 special (Phyllis)
                      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

[QUOTE=tw1980;244197]Your polished aluminum is after my ownheart /QUOTE]

YES, that looks VERY good!

Comment

tw1980: BRRAAAAP! Mountain riding is the only kind! What sled do you ride?

Tom: What do you have in mind to paint? The sled is not the best example, but you might have seen my bike on here:

and here is a KZ900 I did this spring:

And the proof I did for a friends Ski-doo XP:

I will try anything once, so let me know what you have in mind. You can PM me if you want, also. We can go from there...
                          Last edited by T99Ford; 11-16-2009, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Finally got to ride!

Since there has been alot of snow here for the last month, I have not been able to ride my bike. But, I have not been able to ride the new sled either, since there has not been ENOUGH snow for that

But finally yesterday, I got to take the new 1000 out. I must admit the 185 hp came in pretty handy where we were (4-5 ft of snow and steep) Here is how she looks now:

At least I can ride something!

Comment

Working...
                            X