How to post a picture - Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to post a picture - Tutorial

I have noticed that there are many times that people are unaware of how to go about posting pictures here in the forum. I figured I would take a moment and write up a step-by-step instructional post to help out with that.

The complexity is related to the fact that XS11.com does not host it's own images. That is done to save money on storage space and bandwidth for the site host(s). I will give a couple of options here to give some idea of what is needed to post pictures here.

1. The first, and most common option is to use an external Photo-hosting site like Photobucket. Once you have an account there, you can use their instructions to upload photos to their site. Once you have a photo uploaded there, it will look something like this:

If you hover your cursor (the arrow controlled by your mouse) over the image you just uploaded to Photobucket, you will see a drop-down panel appear directly below the image, with several options. The one at the very bottom is the one you want to deal with for this operation. If you carefully move your cursor over the box next to "IMG Code", you can click on it once to select the contents, then right-click on it and choose copy to copy the necessary information to your computer's clipboard.

Then, you can go to your post on XS11.com, and right-click and paste in your post. You will see a line of text show up with "[IMG]" at the beginning and end of it. That text is a web link to the picture you just uploaded to Photobucket. You will notice that the title you gave your picture will show up in the code:

Every picture on the internet has a line of text like this that identifies it and allows it to display on your computer screen. That brings us to the second option of how to post a picture.

2. You can post ANY picture you find on the internet to your post here on XS11.com (including pictures in other posts here on the forum). All you need to do is locate the proper text to put in your post. If you right click on ANY picture, a menu will appear. At the bottom of that menu, choose "Properties".

The Properties screen will then appear. You will see a line of text that looks a lot like the one we discussed earlier. However, this one will not have the "IMG" tags on the ends of it.

Select this text with your cursor, and right-click on it and choose "Copy", then select the "Cancel" button at the bottom of the box to clear it away.

Then, go to your post here on the forum, and click on the "Insert Image" button.

When you do that, this box will pop up:

Make sure the contents of the box remain selected (or delete them altogether), and right-click and paste the copied text into that box.

Click "OK" to insert the text (including the added "IMG" tags) into your post.

That's about it! A few things to remember though:

It is usually best to add a blank line (press Enter) before and after each line of image text in your post. That will allow for a cleaner display of the images in the final thread.

You can preview the post by clicking on the "Preview Post" button at the bottom of the screen, to make sure the image links worked before finalizing your post.

I hope this helps those who have been struggling with posting images, and those new members who can't find the "Upload images" button that they are used to in other forums. Have fun posting your pictures!
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Nice tutorial, very thorough.
    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

I still don't get it.......
      http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Jeremy... you find the wildest pics.... whoaaaa....
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Bob,

Here is a possible source of that picture. And also a added bonus of how to link a video.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Cool! Thanks, Don... that was funny!
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Originally posted by XJOK2PLAY View Post
              Jeremy... you find the wildest pics.... whoaaaa....
              Really??? I'm just not seeing it.
              http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Indirect link??

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Bob,

Here is a possible source of that picture. And also a added bonus of how to link a video.
                I've figured out how to put the picture or video directly in the posts but I don't know how to do what was done here: to have the the video or picture indirectly linked to a word/phrase. As in the above case where the word "video" is used to link to the actual video.

Is it obvious as in right in front of my face?

Comment

To add a hyperlink like that, all you have to do is highlight the text in your post BEFORE you hit the "link" button. That will attach the link to the text instead of just adding the URL in the post.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

When all else fails, RTFM (Read the bluddy manual)
                    '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
                    1196 Big Bore
                    4-1 Cowley exhaust
                    750FD Conversion
                    Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
                    Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
                    BMX footpegs
                    Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
                    GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
                    Anti Sticky float bowl system

Comment

Posting a picture.

I have a new camera in my phone. The phone doesn't allow any uploading from the internet though. XS11.com used to have an email address to send photos of bikes for people that wanted to be on their owner's list. Is there an email or phone number that I can use to post pictures of my bike on this forum?
                      [IMG]http://michaelwilliamandersen.ga[/IMG]

Comment

No, it doesn't work that way. You have to plug in your phone to yor PC (or use a memory card reader) and save them on your PC. Then, upload them to photobucket and link to them in your posts here.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Great work C Bug. Very thorough. Been posting pics since day one but did not know the web link thing for outside photobucket, that will save me untold bandwidth and time.
                          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Just be aware that linking to a picture on someone else's site is known as "Hotlinking" and is frowned upon by the folks hosting the picture. They get dinged for the bandwidth, but don't get the benefit of the traffic. Some sites have been known to replace hotlinked images with disgusting/disturbing pictures to prevent further hotlinking.

Not all sites do this, but some do, so I figured I'd warn my fellow XSives.

And knowing is half the battle!
                            Mike C
                            Lake Orion, Michigan
                            '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
                              Just be aware that linking to a picture on someone else's site is known as "Hotlinking" and is frowned upon by the folks hosting the picture. They get dinged for the bandwidth, but don't get the benefit of the traffic.
                              I guess it depends on who is hosting the picture, and for what purpose. I post stuff online for the purpose of allowing the world to see it. I get nothing from it. If someone wants to prevent hotlinking, they can kill the "right-click" function on their site. As far as I'm concerned, if you post in on the public internet, it's fair game.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X