Backrest and Luggage Rack for 79 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backrest and Luggage Rack for 79 Special

Hi, Been awhile since I have been in communication with everyone and want to say Howdy. Over the summer I sold my 79 Special (it had almost 50K and went to a good new owner. In the last month I purchased another 79 Special in mint condition with only 6K on the mileage. A couple of weeks ago I purchased what was advertised as a Backrest and Luggage rack to fit my new 1100 Special. My question is this, when installing the item does anyone know if you need to temporarily remove the rear turnsignals. It appears like this is the only way I will be able to get the combination on.

Thanks, And be careful out there.

Tom

I haven't had to (re)move he signals for any of my backrests, so far.

They usually bolt to the upper shock bolts, and to a spot behind the signal lights.

On the 80 Special, the backrest needs to have mounts that hold the taillight on.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I had to remove the tail light (to access the grab rail mount), NOT the turn signals. As mentioned, they mount to the shock mount and the grab rail mounts. However, on a '79, with it's different grab rail, it may be a bit different.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

On SF's
        If what you have is the "tube type frame " then you may need to relocate the turn signals.
        Easiest is the license plate mount for the turn signals.

mro

Comment

The signal lights mount to the big rubber bushings below the seat. It's this way on ALL XS 11s I've seen except when they have been moved for hard luggage.

The seat rail, round or otherwise should have no effect on the signals at all.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Working...
          X