That time of year again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That time of year again

It's the thanksgiving weekend here in Canada and in Saskatoon the first snowfall is here to herald it in.
    I will take the rig for one more ride around the block then cancel the insurance until next spring.
    Sure I could spend the big bucks on electrically heated riding gear but the XS11 is smarter than I am
    because it won't start if the temperature is below freezing.
    Our garage has to accommodate TWO winterized sidecar rigs now that my son has a Spirit Eagle on his XS750
    AND there has to be space by the door for the snowblower plus room for SWMBO's car.
    This last is made easier by her newly acquired Chevy Malibu being smaller than the old Buick Le Sabre.
    The bad part is the appalling cost of 4 winter tires for the Malibu.
    The styling appeal of 225/50-17 tires is far outweighed by having to pay for the bastards.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Hey Fredintoon. I am suprised that you aint in on this post.
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25009
    Now that ya are parkin your sidecar rig maybe you can help this fellow with some of your knowledge.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
      ... the first snowfall is here to herald it in...
      Fred,

Shush!!! I dont want to hear about snow. My riding season is almost over here in New England, probably in another month. I finally have it running to the point of perfection and its almost time to put it away, lol.

Well I guess the good part is I can start working on my new ride I acquired.

Happy Thanksgiving Fred.

Ozz
      Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

ATGATT, It could save your life!

1980 XS 1100SG
      Dyna 3 Ohm Hi Output Coils
      Pod Filters
      DynoJet Kit
      T.C.'s Fuse Block
      Slip Streamer Turbo Windshield
      Custom Tank and Side Cover Decals
      V-Max Auto CCT

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
        Hey Fredintoon. I am suprised that you aint in on this post.
        http://www.xs11.com/f/showthread.php?t=25009
        - - -
        Hi Rasputin,
        I seldom check the parts wanted forum so was not aware of that post. Thanks for the heads-up.
        Sure I can tell him how I built my rig but what I did suggest was that he sign up with the SCT site and talk to experts.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I was gonna wait til Monday to post this, but Happy Thanksgiving to all you Canucks out there! Sorry to hear of the snow... Keep it all up North for me, will, ya'? I'm hoping to be able to ride through the winter here, as long as the roads aren't icy.
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Dont feel bad Fred we got snow thursday and getting 8 more inches tomorrow gotta love fall.Oh and Happy Thanksgiving in The Great White North
            79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
            80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
            06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
            2000 Concours
            84 Kawi KLR600
            79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
            79 XR250
            Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
            John

Comment

The bad part is the appalling cost of 4 winter tires for the Malibu.
              The styling appeal of 225/50-17 tires is far outweighed by having to pay for the bastards.
              Fred, you need her to do what my SWMBO did, WIN a set of tires! She was in Chicago for a blogger convention, and Michelin had a "spin the wheel" booth. She won a set of tires of her choice! They shipped them out and we had them installed about a month ago! 235/50-17 for the Accord, and they are the brand new Hydroedge, or something like that... 90K mile tire according to Michelin.
              SWMBO can be a great asset at times!(even if the tires ARE for her car!)
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

We've been getting snow here for a couple of weeks. However, it's more the cold that slows things down.

I took the batteries out of the 78 and 80SG, but will leave the 80G for a bit to see if it stays cold.

I did put the snow tires on the car today...
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Just started getting snow in my area the past couple days. Not a lot, but enough to deter me from getting out. I have to do the winter oil changes and put fuel stabilizer in, but the batteries will stay put. I left the AGM batteries in last year with no tender and the bikes started up in the spring no problems. I'm gonna push my luck and try that again.
                  K. Johnson
                  -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
                  triple clean and boots
                  -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
                  replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
                  -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
                  $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

We got our first snow yesterday. I am holding off putting them to bed for the winter in the hopes of one last ride!

Deny
                    1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                    1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Snow, please explain

Don't get that horrible stuff here. However, now that it's warm enough to ride, this area is out of drought and Spring is the wettest season around here. So only getting about three days riding per week, will get better. You may be able to get away from the winter blues by sitting on your bike in the garage with a fan blowing while making vroom vroom noises

Comment

Here in western Colorado the fall 'color' season is just about over, and I can see new snow on the Mamm range and Roan Plateau. That elevation is about 9 - 10K foot elevation, I live at about 5K foot elevation.

Rode to work this AM, temps in the low 40s (F) but not bad riding with full Tourmaster suit and zip-in liner. Daytime temps have been below seasonal average, but later part of the week looks good.

We have had frost at the house a few times, flowers dead, irrigation water has been turned off. On the bright side I fired up the RX1 (Yamaha) snowmobile, and my new trailer is supposed to be in next week. First snowmobile club meeting of the season is tomorrow night.... When a door shuts, a window opens, or something like that.

Still, put a bit over 9K miles on the bike this year, not bad for me and a few K more than average. It was a good summer.
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by cueball View Post
                          You may be able to get away from the winter blues by sitting on your bike in the garage with a fan blowing while making vroom vroom noises
                          I can just imagine Fred in the garage with a scarf and goggles like Snoopy on his dog house, pretending to go after the Red Barron!
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

Machine gun noises

Don't forget the sound effects, (rata tat tat) gotta have those, and a cool drink close at hand to celebrate victory Maybe mount a portable cannon to the bars
                            Last edited by cueball; 10-12-2009, 02:43 PM. Reason: extra

Comment

Originally posted by cueball View Post
                              Don't forget the sound effects, (rata tat tat) gotta have those, and a cool drink close at hand to celebrate victory Maybe mount a portable cannon to the bars
                              Hi Cueball,
                              yeah, modify the Ural LMG mount to fit my S-of-A chair, install a fake Lewis gun that shoots red laser light
                              with appropriate sound effects, (taka-taka-taka) project the dog-fight scenes from
                              Hell's Angels on the inside of the garage door and call me Biggles!
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X