Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamabond?

Hi all,
    I am in the process of changing a leaking valve cover gasket on a kz1100 (yea i know).
    I will be reusing the old rubber plugs as I have had a devil of a time locating new ones.
    Being unfamiliar with the Yamabond stuff I could use some input as to which to use..believe it comes in 4 versions?
    Thanks all
    '81 sh " Maime" The Nature of The Beast

How about simple black RTV???
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Last time I bought some, the parts guy didn't even turn around; he didn't say a word and just reached behind him and pulled it off the pegboard. So if it comes in 'types', you couldn't tell by me.

But I'll agree with DGXSER; I'd use black silicone, as the Yamabond is gray and will show....

'78E original owner
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

einstein

was thinkin the same..but seems i heard somewhere about the magical properties of yamabond being a bit more elastic?
        Just really dont wanna do this job again.
        More input?

Comment

4 kinds?

maybe wrong but thought there were 3 or 4 diff types.

Comment

Haven't heard of different types, but have used it. It is very elastic... very good stuff. My friends prefer it over RTV.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

It's great stuff, and THE choice for 'gasketless' joints like engine cases, etc. But it's a b*tch to get off when set up. And it glues things together really well, so if using on a gasket or seal you may want to use again, I'd be hesitant.

RTV cleans off much easier, and should work just as well for this.

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I just looked online and found mention of Yamabond Versions 4 and 5. One is "Fully Drying" and the other is "Partial Drying". Not sure what the benefit would be of "Partial Drying" but I guess there is a need somewhere, or they wouldn't make it.

I've used Permatex Ultra Black on everything I've done so far. I've never used Yamabond, so I can't compare.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  ...and the other is "Partial Drying". Not sure what the benefit would be of "Partial Drying" but I guess there is a need somewhere, or they wouldn't make it.
                  'Partial Drying' sealers are for surfaces that may have 'movement', caused by mechanical vibration or differing expansion rates. I don't know what Yamaha intends theirs for, but I've run into a similar product in industrial applications. The stuff I saw was made by Dow I think (it's been a while) and was used on some pumps. I think Permatex also makes a similar product.

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Yamabond #4 is what you need for the job. It isn't black, so put just a little on the parts. The "semi-drying" remains elastic, so it will stay bonded to parts with different expansion rates, like rubber and aluminum. I use it for the "half moon" seals on the XS1100, and some Permatex stuff called "the right stuff" for the actual valve cover gasket. It will remove easily, but does stay sealed fairly well. As I ride hard, nothing seems to work for very long....
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I used "The Right Stuff" on my valve cover and had to use a soft hammer to get it off... That stuff is awesome. For the price it darn well better be.
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

It kinda sounds like permatex #1, and #2. #1 hardens, #2 is pliable. Most of your GM'S are put together with the right stuff.
                        1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                        A quick death and an easy one.
                        A pretty girl and an honest one.
                        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

See?

Now we are gettin somewhere..lol.
                          Was wondering about using regualr black rtv on the old hard rubbers.
                          Tho hoping this will be a one time job..really dont want to see the thing back in my garage after spending most of the summer and fall findin parts for a bike that kawasaki didnt make. (no really) its an 81 kz 1100 spectre. But kawasaki says only came out in 82. My buddy bought it new in 81...hmmm

Parts are a nightmare.
                          Just want it sealed up for good
                          The only good thing so far is the valve cover gasket is used on most of em. Just cant find the rubbers. Old bike barn said they could get em....been 3 months..
                          Gonna go with Diver on this one.
                          Thanks All

Comment

#4 is all i use for gaskets and seals on my engines. RTV is okay but if you over do it and squeeze the excess out on the inside, it wont break down in oil and can block galleries AMHIK. Excess yamabond is oil soluble and wont block anything.
                            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Yamabond #4 is really good and I recommend it for surfaces that will not be taken apart on a regular basis. Bad thing about the Yamabond sealers is they are a bit expensive and have a shelf life after you open the tube. So if you only need a small amount intermittently, you may find the tube has hardened a bit when you go to use it the next time.

My tune up routine means I have to take my valve cover off at least once a year and that is something everyone might not do. So I dont use any sealer on my valve cover gasket. I just give it a spray of Pam and put it in then I use a torque wrench to tighten all the cap screws evenly. It is not uncommon for me to use the same gasket for 3 or 4 times and they do not leak.

Whatever works for you is right.
                              Mike Giroir
                              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                              X