Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto guys, bought something rare and older than XS11

A '77 Lancia Scorpion!

Very cool rear engine Italian car, read up on them..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancia_Montecarlo

This was originally a California car, possibly just 3 winters on the road in Utah did most of the rust damage, hasn't been registered since '92. Owner has had shop space for a long time with TONS of classic classic motorcycles and some small cars, all very rare stuff.
    Scorpion probably has less than 75K original miles on it. Engine/tranny/clutch/brakes/etc still in working order, I drove the car home.

Much rust repair to do, and I bought the car because it is rare, light, and rear-engine.... for my turbo super-bike engined car project when i'm ready to complete it.

Nice, haven't seen one of those in a while. If you're gonna restore it, this parts site might help you....

http://www.international-auto.com/index.cfm/sc/28948
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Man I really wanted one of those back in the day. I had a Fiat X1/9, and would have died for a Lancia. A guy in my home town had a bright red Scorpion and it was sooo slick.

I used to go to Bayless in GA for fiat parts and upgrades. Looks like they have been acquired: http://www.midwest-bayless.com/

Good luck and keep the pics coming!
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

congrats - I too have had a love affair with European sporties back in the day
        Always fancied the Alfa 1750 coupe
        Bryan
        Bryan H

"Conan, what's best in life?"
        "To crush your enemies, drive them before you and the lamentation of their women"

Comment

I WORKED for a Fiat/Lancia dealer back then! The Scorpion IS a great car, as it has the twin cam engine in a small, light chassis. The rust is because they DIDN'T treat the steel before building the chassis, and ANY little paint nick was a rust spot! If the car was from the California coast, and it most likely was, THAT is the reason for the rust.
          They are a LOT of fun, and the engine will go for 150K miles if you take care of it. I do hope you have a good wire feed or TIG welder for the body repairs, though.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yeah, good wire feed MIG welder for body repair.

Its not all as bad as it could be, just the floor because it had been wet under the carpet at times, the sides of doors etc you can see. All 4 shock towers and engine compartment are very clean, absolutely no rust that would cause structural/suspension problems.

I'll prob drive it as-is with this stock engine for a bit before massive changes..

Comment

That car reminds me of my dad's old Lotus Europa. Except the fiberglass body made for a lot less rust. I was rather upset as a 14-year old kid when my dad sold it...
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
              X