Sleeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeper

Anybody put 750 emblems on their 11? Then go looking for Harleys!
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Dunno what difference it would make. There isn't enough chrome on the XS to catch the attention of the Hardley riders, and they don't have a desire to go fast enough to challenge even a true 750. Reminds me of Ramone, in Disney's Cars movie... "Low and slow..."
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

The guys on the sporty choppers around here are the aggressive Harley riders. I can usually get them to hook up, but in town its more about who has the bigger pair than the faster bike. 80+ down main in heavy traffic and see who brakes first. I guess I am too stupid to loose.

As far as an all out drag race, on my 81 with the 750 FD, they get me off the line, but have to shift two to three times before I hit second. By the time I do hit second, its usually all over. Some of the good guys that weigh $1.50 less than I do and a big engine can keep up, but they still have a payment every month.

On my 79 with the 1100 FD, well that is a different story. That thing is bad to the bone and will make my 81 look like a 250 Virago.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
        Anybody put 750 emblems on their 11? Then go looking for Harleys!
        Hi Red,
        another Harley slagger eh? What's wrong with them? Apart from being old-fashioned and overweight, that is, but WTF, so am I.
        Also beyond my price range but not as much so as a Ducati and really not as much so as a Vincent.
        OTOH, I toured Cape Breton Island's Cabot trail this summer (alas, in a rented car) and the trail was wall to wall motorcycles.
        I would estimate ~60% of them were Harleys. Lotsa old geezers riding them, too. Southernmost Harley plate I saw was from Florida.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I have only run into one person that new what the XS eleven emblem on my bike meant. And he was riding one. Everyone else has no clue. Mine is most often assumed to be a CB750, even with the Yamaha on the tank.
          79 XS11 special

Comment

Originally posted by stoked View Post
            I have only run into one person that new what the XS eleven emblem on my bike meant. And he was riding one. Everyone else has no clue. Mine is most often assumed to be a CB750, even with the Yamaha on the tank.
            Yeah I was at the Yamaha dealer the other day talking to them about the new Xmax and looking at some R1's.The salesman asked me what kind of bike I road and I got a lot of puzzled looks.The service manager was the only one who knew what I was talking about.

Terry
            1980 special (Phyllis)
            1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

most harley riders/owners have their bikes simply as status symbols. a great deal of the older riders started on the jap bikes and know what the mighty beast xs11 is. they will not challenge you, [they hate to be embarrased] especially in front of the rest of the posse.
              it's them younger, new harley ridin, status seeking, bandana sporting, no helmet wearing, pony tail types that will give you a try.
              ALWAYS, put them in their place accordingly.
              peace out,
              redbone
              testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

You know folks that H-D riders for the most part are just like us...but like any group loyal brand they do have a few lacking a good mentality...so really nothhing unique about that or exclusive to one brand of riders. H-Ds' are not the kind of bikes i would ride, but I would no less respect them as I would want to be respected...going around looking for H-Ds' just to beat them in a race is pretty immmature stuff. JMHO
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by redbone View Post
                  it's them younger, new harley ridin, status seeking, bandana sporting, no helmet wearing, pony tail types that will give you a try.
                  Around here, the only ponytails are made of white hair, and usually match the long white beard. The young ones all ride crotch rockets or have chopped their bike so much that the only thing left that can be considered a HD is the engine.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

I was on a LARGE ride last fall. The older HD riders KNEW what I was riding, and gave me a thumbs up as I was going past. The younger ones just sneered, but got put down by the older HD crowd! I was on the MNS, and this was about one month after I got it. I DID have one older rider give me a bad time, until I told him to count the exhaust pipes! He thought it was an 850MNS, as he didn't know they made an XS1100 MNS. He didn't want to race once he realized his mistake!
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                      I was on a LARGE ride last fall. The older HD riders KNEW what I was riding, and gave me a thumbs up as I was going past. The younger ones just sneered, but got put down by the older HD crowd! I was on the MNS, and this was about one month after I got it. I DID have one older rider give me a bad time, until I told him to count the exhaust pipes! He thought it was an 850MNS, as he didn't know they made an XS1100 MNS. He didn't want to race once he realized his mistake!
                      I haven't really run into an HD rider that didn't respect my XS. As a matter of fact I had a few who have admired my XS400 (they said it sounded good (I guess the almost straight pipe original exhaust helps)) as well. But I do know that most of them do NOT respect most of the Japanese HD clones. I don't think it's about them not being U.S. made, but rather that for the most part there is no real originality, just a copy of the most popular motorcycle in the world (notice I didn't say the best, just the most popular).
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

"You know folks that H-D riders for the most part are just like us...but like any group loyal brand they do have a few lacking a good mentality"

I put it to you that pretty much the whole group lacks intelligence. Let's look at the facts.

Name ONE reason to buy a hoggie over all the other brands out there:

Power? no (like a tugboat, slow but sure)
                        Speed? no (1920's technology)
                        Handling? no (like racing a tub)
                        Reliability? no (Yeah right)
                        Features? no (They just started using 1970's CB radios!)
                        Quality? (fit and finish) no
                        Comfort? no (vibration)

So what is they buy them for? People buy Harleys because thier penis is too small and they think that by buying a bike that some tough rowdy types rode back in the late 40's early 50's, the rest of us will think that thier penis is much larger than it really is.

This is why most of them also put on loud pipes, because when they ride down the street, with normal pipes, they notice no one is looking at them, to see how big thier penis is.

This is also why most biker get togethers are largely crowds of Hogs, it is a group therapy thing where they can sit around and reassure each other they didn't get ripped off on thier new bike.

The funny part is, if you look at the modern harley riders, they are mostly old guys (mid-life crisis) young punks (who know nothing about bikes) and tiny women trying to act cool with a bike that is too large for them to comfortably maneuver.
                        Last edited by Crazcnuk; 09-30-2009, 02:55 PM.
                        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

If you really want to screw with Harley riders get an old RD350 or RD400 and set the oil injector up on the rich. you'll blow by the hogs so fast they won't know what happened and you'll leave them in a smoke cloud that James Bond would be proud of.

Geezer
                          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I don't care what kind of bike other people ride.If they ride it legally,safe and enjoy themselves that's my only rule.

Terry
                            1980 special (Phyllis)
                            1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

HD rider waved at me the other day...right before he reached up and held his nose as I rode by. I've been ignored by 'em before but that was the first disrespect. My impulse was to U-turn and blow by him, but the county mounties are hungry around here and I didn't want to lose to him in an immaturity contest. As much pull as HD has with the gummint, we're lucky we can still ride Jap bikes, so I just enjoy mine.
                              1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Working...
                              X