worst dust storm in city history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worst dust storm in city history

today - Australia from Sydney in south to Brisbane in north - 1000km dust storm front

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBMP8oo_jQA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWaSLXton5o

Bryan
    Bryan H

"Conan, what's best in life?"
    "To crush your enemies, drive them before you and the lamentation of their women"

Judging by those pictures, Sydney copped it worse. Today show was filming from southern end of Harbour Bridge and could only see about 1/3 of bridge. We didn't get dust storm here (southern NSW), however rain storms carrying dust passed overnight, dumped 44mm (176 points) of rain in short time and left a lovely layer of red mud on everything.

Comment

yeh - it didn't really roll in here till about 9.30-10.00am
      its here now though - sneezing, sore eyes etc
      Bryan
      Bryan H

"Conan, what's best in life?"
      "To crush your enemies, drive them before you and the lamentation of their women"

Comment

Truck stop in Melbourne used to have picture of dust cloud that hit in I think the seventies. Picture was as cloud approached city. AWESOME This may be a good reminder that the drought has not broken yet.

If I live long enough (not holding breath), some "switched on politician" may get on with the idea that was first proposed nearly a century ago to harvest water from tropical north and turn inland into green oasis.

The technology is available. There are millions of hectares inland (2.5 acres to hectare) that will grow anything if given water. Australia could be turned into food bowl for half the planet. Be interesting to see if anybody has the balls to have a go.
        Last edited by cueball; 09-22-2009, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Saw that on the news tonight. Talk about a Red Dawn . Phoned my brother (lives in Sydney) and he reckons that coming out of the harbour tunnel on the city side was like driving into a wall. Couldnt see a thing for the first 100 or so metres.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Working...
          X