Legacy Clutch Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy Clutch Trouble

Anyone know anything about Subaru Legacy's. My boy has a '92 Legacy Wagon with a kaput clutch. Has anyone DIY replaced one? Are there any tips and tricks I should know before tearing into it?, aside from paying someone else to do it. Or should I just push it off a cliff and tell him to buy another car? Done lots of gearbox and clutch jobs over the years but never in a front/four wheel drive.
    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Step #1: Remove Subaru from clutch.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Comment

Pull radiator and such, undo exhaust at motor, unbolt motor mounts FROM the motor, unbolt bell housing, one person on each valve cover, lift a bit and pull motor ahead off bell housing so as to have enough room to remove clutch assembly. Use the plastic pilot to center new disc, tighten all up and re-assemble reverse order.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I did a clutch on an old GL1500 wagon, about 15 years ago or so, found the subaru clutch to be easier than most to change. it was front wheel drive only, but the engine was NOT transverse mounted, the driveaxles came out the sides of the transmission. trans came out easy, went back in easy (too easy the first time as the parts store sold me the wrong clutch friction disc, it took a larger splined shaft and I didn't think to check it before installation) but I think the whole job was done in an afternoon, even with having to do it twice, sort of. I know it's not a "legacy" but if the legacy has any of the design left over from the old GL series, it should be fairly easy. have a nice day and ride safe
        I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Originally posted by oseaghdha View Post
          Step #1: Remove Subaru from clutch.
          ..... and discard Subaru...

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Pull radiator and such, undo exhaust at motor, unbolt motor mounts FROM the motor, unbolt bell housing, one person on each valve cover, lift a bit and pull motor ahead off bell housing so as to have enough room to remove clutch assembly. Use the plastic pilot to center new disc, tighten all up and re-assemble reverse order.
            ..hadn't thought of doing it that way round. I like your thinking.

Comment

Working...
            X