No announcement yet.

Neighbor traded up to a new Harley because of my XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"If you break down on a trip, they have dealers all over the place and move you to the head of the line. "

When you build the least reliable bike on the road, you kind of need to do this.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      He lost only one day and $2500 for an overhaul.
      So, just becuse he broke down, he spent enough to buy 2 (at least) XS's, and still got the same POS back when he was done...

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
      When you build the least reliable bike on the road, you kind of need to do this.
      The nice thing about the XS is that usually, if you break down on the side of the road, it might take a few hours, but you can fix it right there on the side of the road with the tools in your toolkit...
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I've been stuck, waiting for the 2008 UC to be fixed a couple of times. One day, he may have to wait for me.

'05 ST1300

Comment

The price is right

And with Our XS/XJ's..

You can Fix it yourself, usually for VERY little.
          By the side of the road, with the help of a Smartphone and CH11 forum Guru's

Cost: 1 smartphone (which you had anyway)

or assuming you have the smartphone, you can probibly find a CH11 member neer by on your touring trip and brib with beer to come help fix your bike.

Cost: (phone) and BEER..

VS the alternitive, almost $30,000 dollars in bank payments..

I like my XS
          1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.

2012 FJR1300 Gen 2. Heli bar risers, R-gaza crash bars, mccruise cruise control.

(2)2008 WR250R. Because kids outgrew others.

2007 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. (Just added 2024) pre-crashed.

1975 Kawasaki S1 250. My first bike. Still have it. NO I'm not selling it!!

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk View Post
            "It's hard to believe but they list 54 mpg hiway on those big buggers"

I have two friends with Ultra-Classics, the 2008 one gets 50+ on our imp gallons, the 2009 gets in the low to mid 40s.
            Not hard to beleive when you consider how little power they make with a 1500cc motor.
            Power has nothing to do with it; it's the efficiency of the particular design at a given load. The XS motor makes lots of power, but it's not efficient, hence the poor fuel economy.

My Sportster delivered a consistant 60 mpg before I leaned on the motor; now, at 85 RWHP, it still knocks down 50+ with every tank, a number most XS riders can only dream of.....

And it's never stranded me either.....

'78E original owner
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Quote...My Sportster delivered a consistant 60 mpg before I leaned on the motor; now, at 85 RWHP, it still knocks down 50+ with every tank, a number most XS riders can only dream of.....

Steve,
              Are you getting that from an 883 with 1200 heads(85 RWHP)? why is it that the smaller harleys make more power?
              Last edited by barberad; 09-23-2009, 05:54 AM.
              Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
              Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
              while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

My XS will deliver 52mpg if I ride it like a Harley. If I ride it like it was meant to it gets in the low 30's. If I wanted to ride a couch I'd have bought(and still be making monthly payments) a Harley. I bought/built all of my bikes to run. I might breakdown and buy a V-Rod someday.
                sinners & saints
                '80 xs11 special
                '84 Honda vf700f
                '75 Honda CB500T
                '92 Yamaha Seca II

Comment

Originally posted by XScafe View Post
                  My XS will deliver 52mpg if I ride it like a Harley.
                  REALLY?? How is that? Can you give more details on what it means to "Ride it like a Harley"? It would be nice to know if I relly needed to save on gas for a short time...
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

50 mpg

Just find a long straight level road and cruise along at 40 mph. You should get nearly 50 mpg.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

My XS will get 52 miles per gallon if I drop it off a 52 mile high cliff with a gallon of gas.

As far as ride it like a Harley, you have to tie a brick to the fly wheel to get the "feel" of the harley. Then you unhook one of the coils, and advance the ignition so it lopes along. Put a #250 main jet on one of the remaining cylinders and a #85 on the other to get a nice "potato-potato-potato" sound out the exhaust. Remove the rear shocks and chain the swingarm all the way up so it sits so low you can't lean it over, and have the nice hard tail ride. Oh, you'll need to get some really nice chrome pieces too...
                      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

"Power has nothing to do with it; it's the efficiency of the particular design at a given load. The XS motor makes lots of power, but it's not efficient, hence the poor fuel economy."

Power is the whole point.

Efficiency is producing the most power from the least amount of fuel.

Most vehicles are designed for low power, and therefore may not be geared corrctly to take advantage of extra power if you make your engine more efficient.

The Harleys are 1500cc yet make far less hp than our xs11s. What they did was add a 2nd OD gear to put the engine in it's most efficient spot, but that doesn't make it really efficient. The design of the big v-twin alows it to have sufficient torque at low rpms to crusie comfortably.

The problem with the XS is that it is geared like a sport bike, because the inline 4 does not have low end tourque to spare and the efficiency range is fairly high in the rpm range. The xs relys on high rpm to make power. If we gear too high, we don't have the power at lower rpms to take advantage of the areas where we don't need power, but would rather be cruising at minimum rpms.

The fuel injection helps on the Hogs too.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Originally posted by barberad View Post
                          Steve,
                          Are you getting that from an 883 with 1200 heads(85 RWHP)? why is it that the smaller harleys make more power?
                          You can't easily get any real power out of a 883 as the small bore prevents you from fitting decent-sized valves. If you want more poop in a 883, you need to go to the 1200 bore first. Mine was a stock 1200 to start with (and still is only a 1200) but I did big-valve S&S heads with 10.5 compression ratio, the largest cams you can install without machining the cam chest (266 duration, .555 lift) and opened up the exhaust and AC. From about 4k until I hit the rev limiter (6800) it pulls every bit as good as the XS does, probably better. Bottom end ain't so good though... get below 2k under much load and it bucks. Just a bit too much cam for low speed grunt...

It's not so much that the 'smaller' Harleys make 'more' power, it has more to do with the bore/stroke relationship (and the Sportsters are considerable lighter; at least 100 lbs less than the next-lightest model). All Harleys are 'undersquare' motors (stroke is bigger than the bore) and as the stroke gets longer, you lose high rpm potential (unless you don't mind replacing the crankpin often). The Big Twins get the big inches from really long strokes (some are over 5"!) so they make their power down low. Although there is a guy with a big-motor bagger and nitrous that has managed high-nine 1/4 mile times, but that's a rather extreme case. I suspect his engine longevity isn't the best.

Want lots of reliable power in a sleeper? Do a 'square' Sportster; bore out to the same number as the stroke (3 7/8") and get 1450cc. You have to bore the cases for the oversize cylinders, but with good heads and mild cams 100 RWHP is no problem at all and 120 isn't hard to get if you get just bit radical with the cams. Axtell (who makes the cylinders) has a fully-scienced 150 HP Sporty that turns mid-nines and is still street-legal. Put one of these in a lightweight Buell chassis and you can run with the big dogs...

Now, I'm not gonna tell you that any of these combos will make good touring bikes or that they're dirt cheap to build. For smoothness and/or gobbling a lot of distance fast, in my stable the choice will still be the XS. But for around town or in the twisties, Whoo Hooo!!

'78E original owner

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                            Just find a long straight level road and cruise along at 40 mph. You should get nearly 50 mpg.
                            Ahhhh, that explains my crummy mileage. I live in western Washington. Long straight level roads are in short supply around here, and if you're doing 40 on it you'll get your a** ran over. Like I said, the BEST I ever got was 41....

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Like I said, the BEST I ever got was 41....
                              Make a run up to Paradise on Mt. Rainier.. just don't count your fuel mileage on the way up. Then pull in your clutch and coast back down... I bet you'll get great mileage AND have some of the best scenery to be had!

Yup.. just a little bit envious. I grew up in that area (Graham) and don't mind riding in the rain, so it would be great for me. Plus, I could pester the hell out of Prometheus over in Olympia.. lol. (Which.. just by showing up.. you would accomplish.)

Tod
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                                Yup.. just a little bit envious. I grew up in that area (Graham) and don't mind riding in the rain, so it would be great for me. Plus, I could pester the hell out of Prometheus over in Olympia.. lol. (Which.. just by showing up.. you would accomplish.)

Tod
                                Yeah, no lack of good motorcycling roads here, although the traffic is getting pretty nasty in too many places and it appears the state gives drivers licenses to damn near anybody. I'm only about 8 miles from Eatonville as the crow flies, grew up in Puyallup (remember the Puyallup Drags?) so I know those roads fairly well.

If you've been gone from Graham for much time, you probably wouldn't recognise it. Meridian is 4 lanes well past Thun Field towards Graham (excuse me, 'Pierce Co Airport'), has apartments/strip malls/industrial parks on both sides of the road beyond the airport. It might be like that all the way to 220th by now as they were working on that last time I was that way. There's so much traffic out that way that a popular local bumper sticker reads 'Pray For Me... I Drive Meridian'. I stay away....

Even podunk Yelm is getting big; we've got six (count 'em! six!) traffic lights now and an evening rush hour through town. There was one three-way stop sign when I moved here. Progress......

'78E original owner

'82 XJ rebuild project
                                '79F parts...
                                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                                X