Neighbor traded up to a new Harley because of my XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbor traded up to a new Harley because of my XS

My neighbor is one of those stereotypical biker guys. Tattoos, shaved head, turtle-shell helmet, all that stuff...

Anyway, he and his SWMBO both ride hardleys, and last spring, he bought her a sportster for her birthday. He's been riding a DynaGlide. He's been watching me put my MNS together for the last year, and has evidently been envious of the full-bagger setup I've put together (even though it's 30 years old). They trailered their bikes about a week ago and went camping. He came back today with one bike on the trailer (the Dyna) and he was riding a new, $22,500 Hardley Ultraglide!! Evidently, he traded in her Sportster and gave her the Dyna (she's trading up, I suppose).

The Ultraglide really is a nice bike though. Complete fly-by-wire, real cruise control, full bagger. He rode it up to his side yard to put it in the back yard for the night, and hit a bump of dirt, where he proptly laid it over on the crash bars... Thankfully, it didn't go over all the way, but it's one heck of a big bike. I still can't figure out why Hardley doesn't use the fixed fairing on their "top-of-the-line" bike. It's still fork mounted...
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

That's what I like about where I live. I don't have to look at my neighbors crap!
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
      That's what I like about where I live. I don't have to look at my neighbors crap!
      No doubt!
      You know you've made it when they actually bury it...
      lol
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

I still can't figure out why Hardley doesn't use the fixed fairing on their "top-of-the-line" bike. It's still fork mounted...
        It's a toss up. I have my fairing frame mounted which has a lot less affect on steering during windy days, but on some twisty roads at night, it would be nice to have a headlight pointing to where I was going like the fork mounted fairings do.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

The DO use a fixed fairing, just give the model a different set of letters. I rented a 2008 RoadGlide (I think it's the proper name) in Hawaii. It had the fixed fairing, electronic everything, "big" engine, and ALL the bells and whistles!! It was also the first one I've ridden that I would consider buying WHEN I WIN THE LOTTERY! I don't have the $27K plus 9% sales tax plus 5% registration!
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
            It's a toss up. I have my fairing frame mounted which has a lot less affect on steering during windy days, but on some twisty roads at night, it would be nice to have a headlight pointing to where I was going like the fork mounted fairings do.

Tod
            Unless you are going as slow as some of the harleys in the twisties, would that really help? Since you are leaning the bike and countersteering to go around the corner, wouldn't the headlight still be straight ahead, just like a frame mounted fairing?
            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
            '82 XJ1100
            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
              Unless you are going as slow as some of the harleys in the twisties, would that really help? Since you are leaning the bike and countersteering to go around the corner, wouldn't the headlight still be straight ahead, just like a frame mounted fairing?
              I have trouble with it pointing at the ground when pushing hard around city street corners at night. Nothing like having 5 feet of light in front of you at 30 mph.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I was killing time between appointments the other day. I hit the Yamaha / Honda / Kawasaki / Suzuki dealership Set on a bunch of bikes etc. Still had another hour to kill so I went into a Harley dealership. It's hard to believe but they list 54 mpg hiway on those big buggers. They gota be stretching it a bit.

Deny
                1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                  I have trouble with it pointing at the ground when pushing hard around city street corners at night. Nothing like having 5 feet of light in front of you at 30 mph.
                  Try a different brand of headlight. Years ago I bought an expensive Cibie headlight and when I leaned into a corner, all my light was on the ground like you describe. My bother bought a cheap Hella head light and on low beam his light threw a pattern that was like riding in a tube. You still had light when leaned over. I put that Cibie in my truck and put a Hella in my bike. This is one case where do don't get what you pay for...

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                    Try a different brand of headlight. Years ago I bought an expensive Cibie headlight and when I leaned into a corner, all my light was on the ground like you describe. My bother bought a cheap Hella head light and on low beam his light threw a pattern that was like riding in a tube. You still had light when leaned over. I put that Cibie in my truck and put a Hella in my bike. This is one case where do don't get what you pay for...

Geezer
                    Well, I bought one of those high power Sullivan H4 bulbs that fits the stock lens.

Any suggestions? The previous bulb had the same problem.
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

It's not the bulb, it's the lens and reflector. Since you have a special, you can swap in any 7" round headlight.

Geezer
                      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

It's hard to believe but they list 54 mpg hiway on those big buggers. They gota be stretching it a bit.

I have a buddy with a big full dresser Road King with a barcolounger on the back... and with him and his girlfriend, he consistently gets @ 52 mpg. I'm sure it would do a bit better with him by himself... but that bike doesn't move without her on the back! lol.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post

Geezer
                          I don't know which one you got but the one I have is pretty awesome.
                          It throws some serious fire with a 70/55 watt bulb, no cornering problems that I have noticed.
                          XS1100SF
                          XS1100F

Comment

"It's hard to believe but they list 54 mpg hiway on those big buggers"

I have two friends with Ultra-Classics, the 2008 one gets 50+ on our imp gallons, the 2009 gets in the low to mid 40s.
                            Not hard to beleive when you consider how little power they make with a 1500cc motor. That and they really slow down on hills in 6th gear...
                            Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                            '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I've been told the Harley is the best thing to tour on. The gas mileage doesn't hurt. If you break down on a trip, they have dealers all over the place and move you to the head of the line. A colleague was riding to Sturgis from Atlanta with a buddy whose engine grenaded along the way. He lost only one day and $2500 for an overhaul. There's something to be said for that, like Harleys or not.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X