X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I HATE Macho Maroon

Started sanding down a std tank I got.

Everything in my garage is purple now.

I want to find this paint, looks like a decent match for the Yamaha Carmine Red. Has some flake in it.

1998 Corvette Light Carmine Red Metallic Code

OEM 53
    DuPont B9723
    Sherwin Williams 52974
    Dutch Boy R2127
    PPG 35679
    RM 5219
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

The 1978 macho maroon is a very unique color that would have to be mixed by a custom paint mixer with a very good eye. That of course is why it's so important to get it right or use NOS painted parts on restoration jobs. 1979 red is an off the shelf mixable paint that can be obtained at any auto paint supply house. To confirm color match you need a NOS painted body part to take to the paint shop / paint mixer but it's worth it because there's no other tone of red like it anywhere.
    Rob
    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
    1978 XS500E
    1979 XS1100F Restored
    1980 XS1100 SG
    1981 Suzuki GS1100
    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Diamond Silver

In the same vein.... Is there another color that comes even close to the Diamond Silver? This was new in '80 and it is a two tone number on the tank...???? Or is it a "take it in and have the paint meister eyeball it and mix it"... crossed fingers and all.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

API carries it in a three stage urethane.I think they have it listed under Yamaha colors.Gonna set you back about 300 clams there,but it's good paint.Should turn out very nice if you take your time.Make sure you get enough paint to do your side covers and helmets.A good detail paint gun works great.Make sure you ask the people at the paint store for a mixing container and have them show you how to use it.

Terry
        1980 special (Phyllis)
        1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Don't know why it wouldn't pick up the picture, so I stole it.

XS1100SF
          XS1100F

Comment

Originally posted by tw1980 View Post
            API carries it in a three stage urethane.I think they have it listed under Yamaha colors.Gonna set you back about 300 clams there,but it's good paint.Should turn out very nice if you take your time.Make sure you get enough paint to do your side covers and helmets.A good detail paint gun works great.Make sure you ask the people at the paint store for a mixing container and have them show you how to use it.

Terry
            Sorry I misspoke I think the name of the paint company is APS.
            1980 special (Phyllis)
            1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Thanks TW,
              Is that $300 for a gallon or for a quart? And what about the darker color for the knee indentation area on the tank?
              Regardless, $300 is too rich for my wallet, I could probably buy a replacement tank and side covers for that kind of $$.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
              Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
              Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                Thanks TW,
                Is that $300 for a gallon or for a quart? And what about the darker color for the knee indentation area on the tank?
                Regardless, $300 is too rich for my wallet, I could probably buy a replacement tank and side covers for that kind of $$.
                IIRC it was for 1/2 gal base,color and clear coat and all the reducer,hardener etc...For two tone you would need another color mixed up but you would have enough hardener and reducer.I'm with you on the price.I ended up ordering a gallon of paint on line for 60 bucks.I though the color would be very close but it ended up being more of a light burgundy.I like the color but it doesn't look original.

Terry
                1980 special (Phyllis)

Comment

I want to do the Standard tank in the Carmine Red with Black knee indents.

I had the guy at Dupont scan my side cover and $300 was about right for a pint, including primer and hardener. He told me red is the most expensive paint to buy. Go figure. I guess that's why basic black is so popular.

The paint on my Special is in great condition and matches the fairing and hard bags I have, so I don't really want to redo everything if I can avoid it.
                  XS1100SF
                  XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                  X