• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangers of riding in a pack

Just saw this on MSN
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32923524...ife/?GT1=43001
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

I run that road all the time. Any one that drives it all the time would know that it slows quickly in that spot. From my understanding this was an annual run, so maybe the fact they were in a tight pack and watching each other instead of traffic, but what a bad thing to happen.
    1980 midnight xs1100 Rebilt cosmetically
    1980 midnight xs850 bagger
    1980 Special xs1100 (all apart)
    1979 special Special runner
    2011 street glide

Comment

As it happens I was out riding two up with the wife onboard today and coming back from West Virginia I caught up to, and became one of a "pack". We didn't know it at the time but it was some type of charity ride with maybe 75 ~ 80 bikes.

As this group passed intersections two of the lead bikes would peel off and block intersections so the back markers (like us) could run red lights and stay with the group. The "crossing guards" would then catch up to the group and so on as we rode along.

There was a considerable accordion effect going on, and suddenly I saw two bikes ahead of me break hard to the right and left, while the bike following them started smoking it's back tire as it ran into a slowed bike ahead of them all.

I was able, thanks to the 1100's excellent brakes, to slow down very rapidly and miss the colliders. I was plenty worried about the chasing "crossing guards" running into us, but we slipped by the stopped bikes and gassed it.

Very scary, but no one was hurt, lucky that.
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special - induction and head work, bored w/ Wisco pistons, SuperTrapp 4 into 1 stainless exhaust. This bike was built by someone who knew what to do - it flys

1978 SR500E - pristine stocker

1978 SR500E - soon to get cafe style makeover

Comment

That outlaw gang as they call them, were doing what so many groups do. They follow way to close, and leave no time for reaction.
        1980 XS1100LG Midnight
        1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
        A quick death and an easy one.
        A pretty girl and an honest one.
        A cold beer and another one!

Comment

This bunch like to ride in large packs to be intimidating. This time it backfired on them.
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

I’ve been ride captain on a couple of small pack rides on a couple of meets. I always instruct riders who aren’t used to pack riding: ride in a staggered formation; don’t ride in any ones blind spot; don’t ride next to anyone you don’t know; don’t take your eye off the road for more than a second at a time; do have a good time, and keep the rubber side down!
            Special Ed
            Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
            I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

I think you're missing the point. The guys that were in this crash were an outlaw biker gang. Not a bunch of touring riders out for a Sunday ride together...

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
              X