Cages, Cell phones, and idiots trying to kill you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cages, Cell phones, and idiots trying to kill you

Well, yesterday it happened again. Some jackass on the cell phone doing 25 in a 55, I pass, they speed up. When I slowed for the turn she wasn't paying attention, and ended up driving in the ditch, honking at me and causing a scene. I am such an @sshat for interupting her phone call, I guess. Where have I seen this situation before?

KS plate BCD 501, anyone know how to find the owner?

Anyhoot, this got me thinking. How hard would it be to set up a website where motorcyclists could post the plagte number and a small summary of what happened, so when some jack ass does hurt someone, they could look up the website, search for that plate number and tell the judge, "Look, this guy has jacked with people on scoots 67 other times, and that is just the ones that were reported. Maybe a ticket for following to close is underkill." If nothing else, it would give guys a place to vent a bit.

Good or bad idea?
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Here is a good way to mark them.

http://www.platewire.com/

for all the idiots in your life.
    Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
    Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
    while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

I like that idea! I wonder how long it would take to get a decent listing of "Problem Drivers".

Glad you managed to steer clear of that one. Gotta watch out for those things, and keep yourself safe. Can't trust those soccer moms to pay attention to where you are.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Just signed up on the website!!
        Used the plate from the MNS for registration, as my car plate can be traced via FCC......
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Tagging the Hags

Ivan,

Good to hear the physical therapy is working along with "regularly scheduled bike rides."

Big problem with having to remember all those plates while riding. We'd have to have a laptop onboard and a navigator trying to run all the plates through the database in real world/real time for it to be effective before we end up in the ditch waiting for the medics.

My solution would be for us all to carry those little toy guns which shoot a dart with a suction cup on the end of it. Attached to the tail of the dart would be a little pennant which reads "IDIOT."

If you saw a cage covered with these darts any where on the road you'd be able to steer clear before you became a driving-while-texting casualty

Comment

Cell phones and driving don't mix. I've posted many times on this. A law against driving while using cell phones/texting (except in emergencies like being followed by a maniac) needs to be passed. Lots of people are dying over this. There's nothing short of a serious emergency that people can't pull over to the side of the road for a phone conversation for. I won't even have mine turned on when I'm in the car. I know you guys don't like new legislation but this is a new situation, better to have a law than be dead.

Even if you have the plate number there's nothing you can do right now about these people...with a law you can get results by way of subpoena of call records.

Glad to know this one missed you Ivan.
            Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Ivan I'm glad you missed this one too.

I was just driving down the road today in a 55 mph section when I came upon this driver that was doing 35. As I passed there she was. Driving and talking on the cell phone with her head leaned over holding the phone driving and weaving between the two lines as her kids was jumping around in the back seat.

And whats worse... I've seen police officers drive around while using a cell too.

Well I'm off to go drive around town and make all my personal phone calls.
              Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
              87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
              93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
              71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
              69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Originally posted by ccogswel View Post
                And whats worse... I've seen police officers drive around while using a cell too.
                Yeah, I get that a lot around here too. Extremely infuriating. It has saved me from some hellacios speeding tickets though.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Here's one

When buying my 79 XS in California in 79, the salesman told me that on the freeway when someone was driving like a idiot, he would get in front of them and reach into his jacket pocket and bring out a couple of steel ballbearings and toss them over his shoulder. He said after a little practice, he could get the right trijectory to hit the offenders windshield every time. The windshield looked like bullets hit it!! Since Ca. has legal lane spilting, he would be way far away before the brainless in the cage thought to try to get a plate number. I just never had that kind of nerve. But I thought about it long and hard.
                  Jack, Lost my bearings!
                  J.D."Jack" Smith
                  1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                  1978E straight job
                  "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Working...
                  X