Grumbling after my new tire installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grumbling after my new tire installation

I just ordered a new Dunlop E3 from Motorcycle-superstore.com. I paid $110.99 for it, and had it shipped to a local shop (Street Bikes Plus, here in St. Louis) that they have listed as a "Preferred installer". I went to this same shop for my front tire this past spring, so I felt confident having this done. The online quote from MS said they would charge $35 to install if I just rode in, and $25 if I brought in the wheel. Since my bike is my primary means of transportation, and I just recently removed the rear end and greased it all, I let SWMBO have the cage, and decided to just ride in. I called them yesterday to verify they had time to do it, and they said as long as I brought it in before 3pm, it would be quick and easy.

"Perfect!" I thought... I tracked the tire via UPS, and rode in on my lunch hour. The first thing they said is, "that'll be $45 for installation."

I explained what I had seen on the online quote page, and they said that is the price if I purchased through THEM! It's an extra $10 since I didn't buy it from them directly! They don't sell Dunlops at all, which is why I had to go through MS in the first place.

Since both the tire and I were already there, I said "fine" and handed them my keys. They said it would take 30-45 minutes and I'd be done. 1.5 hours later, and the excuse that there wer 2 other bikes in front of me, I finally had my keys back and a new tire on my bike.

I walked out to see the bike. I decided to really look at it, and noticed a tiny nick in the aluminum! Already frustrated, I got on the bike and rode back to work (without having eaten lunch). I got off the bike, walked inside, and sat down at my desk. I noticed that my hands felt kinda sticky... I looked at my plams, and they are covered in black grime! The mechanic obviously just used his engine/road grime-covered hands to move the bike around and didn't bother to wash it off!

Needless to say, I am now grumpy and will avoid going back to this place for anything in the future. On top of my rant here, I added a negatory review for this "Preferred Installer" on MS's website.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Mounted correct??

Did you check the rotation arrow on the tire to make sure it was mounted correctly. I had this happen to me the other day. Closest shop to me is 30 miles. I was one hot cajun when I got home. I should have checked it before I left.
    78 XS1100E Standard
    Coca Cola Red
    Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by foreda View Post
      Did you check the rotation arrow on the tire to make sure it was mounted correctly. I had this happen to me the other day. Closest shop to me is 30 miles. I was one hot cajun when I got home. I should have checked it before I left.
      I just went out and looked, and it's on correctly. I really would have been pissed if that had been wrong too!
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Sorry to hear about your installation ordeal. I would call M/C superstore and tell them about it, as well as the damage to the wheel. I took my tires to a local Harley shop and they were pretty straight up about the install (30 plus tax), although some of the customers looked like they wanted to kill me for bringing in a metric wheel.
        Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
        Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
        while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Maybe this will help make you feel better... (keep in mind this takes place over a period of just over 3 wks.)

(Note: I apologize in advance for the length of the following, then again, nobody has to read it! )

I was out for a ride late one afternoon (3 weeks ago) and, found myself about 50+ miles from home, in the middle of nowhere, when the bike began to ride rather strangely. Had that old 'slip slidin' away' feel to it. Yup, you guessed it, flat (rear) tire. Won't get into the dirty details, suffice to say that some nice country folk offered to let me use their garage to safely store my bike, until I could get the tire looked after. (I had already ordered a tire, a few days prior to this, as I knew it was time for a replacement.) I managed to con a ride into the city where I was able to catch a bus (then a 2nd, 3rd and finally a 4th) home. (I hadn't taken a bus in over 30 yrs., quite the experience!) 4 1/2 hrs later, exhausted, I walked in the front door.

Next day, I made my way back to where I had left the bike, removed the rear wheel and, brought it back home. Next morning I took it to the bike shop where the replacement Bridgestone 'Spitfire' was waiting. Picked-up the wheel a few hours later, returned home and, talked my neighbour into driving me back out to the bike. He returned home and, I proceeded to install the wheel. Managed to get it done and pack up, just as it was getting dark. All set to go and... bike wouldn't start. Battery ran a bit low from the numerous times starting it the day of the flat and, from sitting for 3 days. I managed to push the bike up the driveway to the road and, on the 2nd try, running it down the drive, it fired up. Let it run long enough to charge up the battery (just in case) then headed home. About 10 miles into the run, that strange feeling came back. No, I thought, not another flat! I pulled off to the side of the road, found my flashlight and, had a good look at the tire. It looked OK, well, at least it still had air in it, so I continued on and 'wobbled' my way home.

Next day I took the bike for a ride to check if the 'wobble' was real or I had imagined it. It was real! And, it was a Saturday so, there was nothing I could do until the following week. As I had already ordered a new tire for the front, I decided to wait until it came in before taking the rear one back. Tuesday was the day. Took the front wheel off and took it in to have the new tire installed. I figured that I would wait for the new front tire to verify that 'it' wasn't the cause of the 'wobble'. (I had already informed the shop of the problem as I really didn't think the front wheel was the cause.) Got the front wheel back and installed Thursday evening. Too late to test ride so, I waited until the following day. Problem still there! Took the rear wheel off (again!) and brought it to the shop. Even though I had told them of the problem the previous Monday, they wouldn't/didn't believe me and, had to see it for themselves. They checked the tire and... wouldn't you know, it had a slight bulge in it! Nothing they could do now, they told me, had to order another tire. Friday though, couldn't get it 'til the next week.

Yes, it was Friday... Friday of the last long weekend of the summer! And, the weather forecast... sunny and warm all weekend long and right through the following week. - Now, most of you wouldn't know this but, the weather in this part of the country, has sucked, all summer long! Rainy and cool... record rain fall in both June and July and, probably August too. We didn't have 2 days in a row where it didn't rain! And, this, the last long weekend of the summer (labour day), the weather is suppose to be sunny and warm and, I DON'T HAVE MY BIKE!!! (Well, I have it, I just CAN'T RIDE IT!) I don't smoke but, I'm sure there was some coming out of my nostrils and my ears!

OK, I'm calm... I really am... believe me! So, how did I spend the last long, sunny and warm, weekend of the summer? Trying to get the 16" wheel, that's on the MNS and, has a brand new Metzler tire on it, to fit on the Standard. A temporary solution at best, that afforded me a couple of short runs to the store, just so that I could say that I didn't sit on my A$$ all weekend long sulking and being miserable!

OK... I'm calm... really.

The Wednesday, following the LAST LONG WEEKEND of the summer, I received a call that my rear wheel was ready for pick-up. I picked it up late in the afternoon however, I was unable to re-install it until Thursday. Went for a short 'test' run in the evening and, something wasn't quite right. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but... After riding for about 10 miles or so, just enough to 'warm' the tire up, it felt like it had a bit of a wobble to it! Something's definitely wrong. Back to the homestead, I head. Friday I call the shop to inform them that something still isn't right but, not sure exactly what so, I'll get back to them. Put the bike on the lift, spin the rear wheel a few times but, doesn't look right. Take the wheel off, check the balance as outlined in the repair manual and, lo and behold, it's not balanced. Off I go to the shop (again), have the tire re-balanced, back home and re-install it (for the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8... ? time ). Saturday a quick trip to the bank and, oh $h#t, the balance weight has taken leave from the rear wheel!

Ignore it, I say to myself and, off for a short ride, I go. Hmmm not too bad... whoops... spoke too soon. Tires warmed up and, front is trying its best to do an imitation of a bouncing ball . Not good, I tell myself, back home we go.

OK, now I'm starting to get pi$$ed. Park the bike and walk away. Can't deal with this right now. Not able to get back to it until Tuesday. Call the shop and, once again let them know what's up. I'll get back to them, I say. Wednesday, put the bike back on the lift, spin the front wheel a few times and, what's this, an imperfection in the tire?! Can't be! Not the front tire too? Call the shop to let them know what I've found. Hopefully, they'll order another tire. Not a chance. They have to verify the defect first. Why, I ask, if I'm wrong, I'll buy the 2nd tire anyway. Nope, gotta bring it in.

Take the front tire off, take it in to the shop, they can't find the defect. Not a problem, says I, I already marked where it is and proceed to show them. Yup, they say, can't believe it, never came across the likes of this before.

First time for everything, I say. Well, too late now to order another one... will have to do it tomorrow. Be ready for Friday. Fine, I say suppose to be a nice sunny weekend and, I'd like to get some riding in before the weather gets too bad. And, as I'm walking out the door I turn and say "make sure you get a good one, I'm getting tired of this!"

And so, today is Friday. Sun is starting to break through and, it looks like it's going to be a nice weekend. Question is, will I finally get to ride? Time will tell.

(p.s. Hey CatatonicBug... feel better now?)

1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
          1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
          1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
          1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
          2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

You need a ride!!

My Canadian friend, sounds like you really really need a ride.
            78 XS1100E Standard
            Coca Cola Red
            Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

I'd say you had it a bit worse than I did... Wow! As always, whenever you think things are bad, look around - someone is always having a harder time than you are...
              1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

CBug,
                You just need to invest a little cash upfront, and get your own setup to do your own tires... Harbor Freight, $69 I think for the breakdown stand... get some stickon weights, and get a static balancer setup... pays for itself quick... you know it's done right, and if it's not, you can complain only to yourself... about yourself! LOL
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I know a lot of people do their own tires, and there are probably many of you that will gnash their teeth at me for this comment, but I trust a computer over a human in just about everything mechanical. That includes balancing tires. I'm not saying I'm right about this, or that a human couldn't do just as good a (or maybe even a better) job as a computer, but the machines just have won my trust a lot more than humans in these things. As important as tires are, and as delicate as the balancing can be, I don't know that I could trust myself to do a good enough job.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I understand how ya feel, Bug...

But my buddy installed and balanced both of mine the way I described, and their great!

Plus, I've helped him install a few other sets as well... all with perfect results.

I have discovered some particular models of tires... even within the same brand are easier than others to mount... some Michelin Pilots, for example have incredably stiff sidewalls, and other Michelin Pilots are soft sided and a snap to install!

As far as static balancing goes... it's natural forces... good old gravity. Piece of cake, and saves big bucks... especially if you ride hard, or buy the kind of tires that don't last long...

But, everybody's got their preferred method. Once you see how easy AND reliable it is, though... good investment to get the stuff & do it yourself...
                    And I figure most here are always looking to save & do more "hands on" if they can, especially if they can avoid the delays, hassels, expense, and fears of a stranger working on their bike!

Take it easy, Bug.
                    Bob
                    Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 09-19-2009, 09:14 AM.
                    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

damn tyres

I can help you out with the tyre prob.
                      We have the same prob down here, the tyres aren't all made in the same factory in the same country, therefore you have large variances in manufacture standards, from the level of rubber & silica to the precision of the cases and bonding technique.
                      We've bought 8 tyres down here & they have all been made in 8 different places, I've never bothered to check but car and truck tyres have manufactured dates on them, if you don't know how to decipher the numbers your local car tyre shop dealer should help
                      never ride faster than your gaurdian angel
                      can fly

1981 rh 5N5
                      MIDNIGHTSPECIAL
                      1188cc
                      4 into 1 pipes with a transac muffler,
                      as the motorcycling gods intended everything else stock std

http://s856.photobucket.com/home/steptoexs11
                      http://steptoexs11.webs.com/
                      http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

1982 vf750 sabre

Comment

You just need to invest a little cash upfront, and get your own setup to do your own tires
                        No, no no...you need a 2nd or 3rd bike so at least 1 is always ready to ride! Just coincidently I have my XJ for sale....
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                          No, no no...you need a 2nd or 3rd bike so at least 1 is always ready to ride! Just coincidently I have my XJ for sale....
                          Unfortunately, unlike SOME folks on here, my SWMBO isn't exactly enamored by the idea of adding MORE bikes to the stable... The next bike I add will probably be something smaller than the 1100, for SWMBO to ride herself. I may end up adding an XS650, that'll take a while...
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Another thing

Some don't know, and that means some tire shops, that there is a small yellow dot on the sidewall of the tires. That dot is supposed to line up with the valve stem when it's installed correctly. The dot represents the lightest part of the tire so to make balancing easier.
                            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                            Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                            Drilled airbox
                            Tkat fork brace
                            Hardly mufflers
                            late model carbs
                            Newer style fuses
                            Oil pressure guage
                            Custom security system
                            Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Of course that is assuming that where the stem is is actually the heavy spot on the rim. I took the time to find the heavy spot on the rim prior to mounting the tire (thanks Bohn). It was about 30 degrees off from the stem. Lined the dot up with that location. It took very little weight to balance once the tire was mounted. I doubt a dealer would take the time to do that.
                              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                              '82 XJ1100
                              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                              X