What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red

Detail work is good, like what you did on side covers with fine brush, also like calipers painted a colour other than black However, not a fan of red at the best of times. Macho Maroon with a dark Gold for some contrast would look better IMHO
    Last edited by cueball; 09-16-2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      Make sure you thank Kat for getting a good part of the polishing done for you.
      Already did, but I do have to say, I have the nicest looking forks I have seen. Every time I look down, I get distracted and start swerving all over the road saying "My Prescioussssss........"

Thanks Kat!

The red on the cover was done with a small brush and the same paint. I got the Dupli-Color caliper paint kit, which is brush on. It looks nice from ten feet, but up close, its pretty obvious the calipers were painted with a brush. So, while I was at it, I just painted in the letters and ring on the cover.
      Last edited by Ivan; 09-16-2009, 10:18 PM.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Looks great!!!
        Did you clearcoat the polished aluminum? If so, with what?
        For those who faught for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never taste.
        Unknown deffender of Khe Sahn

Comment

Originally posted by cueball View Post
          Detail work is good, like what you did on side covers with fine brush, also like calipers painted a colour other than black However, not a fan of red at the best of times. Macho Maroon with a dark Gold for some contrast would look better IMHO
          Well, it really doesn't matter to me, I am red/green color blind. That bike next to one that is the original maroon color look darn near the same. Even next to a green bike, it looks close to the same.

I did paint the calipers red, didn't I?

Comment

How do you go with traffic lights?

Comment

Top red light.... stop. Bottom red light.. Go.

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Its RED! Seriously, I like it.

Like they say, sweat the details. Some stainless brakelines would look so good with your red calipers. Enhance stopping power too.

Great looking bike.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Very nice Ivan. I was gonna ask how well that red matched with the red on the tank and side covers, but since you arre colorblind, I imagine it matched perfectly. LOL.
                  Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                  '82 XJ1100
                  '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Originally posted by JMF View Post
                    Looks great!!!
                    Did you clearcoat the polished aluminum? If so, with what?
                    No, just ue some turtle wax on it to keep it from corroding. Clear coating it tends to yellow with age and look crappy.

Originally posted by cueball
                    Tod pegged it, the red is always on the top. I haven't seen sideways lights in long enough that I forgot. Also, watching what the other traffic is doing helps a lot too.

Originally posted by Bigfoot
                    Very nice Ivan. I was gonna ask how well that red matched with the red on the tank and side covers, but since you arre colorblind, I imagine it matched perfectly. LOL.
                    What really gets me is when red and green are beside each other, and are of the same intensity. Then the colors start swapping back and forth, and I get headaches. The worst part about being color blind is that I choose some really "weird" color combos when I paint things or choose colors. I had a model airplane that I covered in florescent orange and silver, and thought it looked great, while everyone else started retching and having heart failure. Now days I always bounce my choices off my wife to see if it is OK.

FWIW, I knew they were red, the package said so.

Comment

No Ivan, they are pink. I am the only one that is a big enough AAA hole to tell you.
                      '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
                      Original except:
                      120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                      4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
                      Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
                      All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
                      Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Seriously guys and gals that bike is a fine tribute to the camaraderie in the club.

It looks GRRRRREAT!!!!!
                        Original except:
                        120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
                        4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
                          No Ivan, they are pink. I am the only one that is a big enough AAA hole to tell you.
                          Thats a@@hole! Gosh, you really need to learn to spell your four letter words, hehe.

If they really are pink, then Kat is going to want to borrow it since it matches the fuzzy pink handcuffs, or was that Russ....?

Comment

Nope, I'm triple A rated. First in class, but someday I will have to appoint my sucessor. I have a couple of double A's in mind. Heads up, look sharp, you never know when I'll be watching.
                            Original except:

Big John

Comment

Yeah, I "C" it.
                              Original except:

Big John

Comment

Originally posted by jmnjrpa View Post
                                Nope, I'm triple A rated. First in class, but someday I will have to appoint my sucessor. I have a couple of double A's in mind. Heads up, look sharp, you never know when I'll be watching.
                                Well, I have been called an A@@hole, First Class by some old military fart. I guess I am only one step below!

Comment

Working...
                                X