TUFF SHED Ranch Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUFF SHED Ranch Garage

My house doesn't have a garage. It does however, have a pad for one. I've been considering building a 2 car garage for years but have never gotten anywhere with it. Then I find a 20' x 24' prefab, installed and painted for around 10 grand. I dont' really see a down side, other than spending a pissload of cash.

Anyone have experience with them? Hows the build quality and longevity on em?

CLICKIE
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

Hi Ray,
    depends if you got the ten grand, eh?
    Does it come assembled or do you get the World's biggest model airplane kit?
    There is another route, you can get a tubular frame dacron covered temporary building for less than a grand.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Might be a good deal. Then again, if it were me, and I had $10k to spend on a garage, I think I'd get the real thing, and build it by hand. A few weekends with a few good friends, and I'd have it up and done.

Will they build it to the size of your existing pad, and anchor it to that pad, or will they require that they pour a new pad to make the warranty valid?
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
        A few weekends with a few good friends, and I'd have it up and done.
        Care to make a few trips to Indianapolis?
        If you don't own a fire extinguisher, do me a personal favor and go purchase one... immediately.

1980 MNS

Comment

silent,

If you have a local Junior College close by and they have a construction class, they are most always looking for a project.
          If you provide the materials they might build your garage for you providing they are not building a house somwhere.

Even if they are building a house somewhere they may be waitng for plans to be finalized or waiting on permits. They might be looking for something to do.

I was building a shed in my back yard and drew up the plans for the rafter assembly. They love to have good Auto-Cad drawings! Took them the lumber and nails. Got a call at noon the next day to come and pick them up. I made a hefty donation to the BBQ fund and everyone was happy.

It is worth a visit to them to find out.

Rodger
          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

$10k is a lot of money, the lure is that they come in and build it right on site. My existing pad should be good enough, if not, add a couple grand for a new pour. Granted, I could probably build a garage by myself, but the work is more than I really want to do. Not to mention, I sold my truck so I have no way to haul materials other than my Wrangler.
            Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Varnae View Post
              Care to make a few trips to Indianapolis?
              I was referring to MY good friends! I have a few of them right here in St. Louis.

Originally posted by Silent View Post
              I sold my truck so I have no way to haul materials other than my Wrangler.
              I seem to remember something on here recently about a guy who used his bike for expressly this purpose! It might take a few extra trips, but I'm sure you could do it!

Besides, you buy $8k-$10k worth of building materials, and chances are, the seller will happily deliver them to you!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

When I had the rafters built they did that at the school. If you were going to have the whole thing built on site just have the lumber yard deliver to the site.

Most likely the entire project would become a class lesson. Material list included.

At our JC the instructors won't let anything get past that isn't to code.

They would have done the entire project but it wasn't big enough to keep the whole class busy. They would have been done the same day!
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Apperently I just saved myself about 2 grand. My pads only 16 x 20 thats what I get for going off memory. Now what was I taliking about...

I can buy a helluvalot of materials for $8k...
                  Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

Well, there goes that saved 2 grand, plus another 2-3 grand. My pads not up to current code so they won't use it. I have it removed and replaced with a thicker reinforced pad

Anyone have a ballpark on a 16' x 20' x 4" reinforced pad? Probably 3500 psi, I don't know what the Republics code is.
                    Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

Originally posted by Silent View Post
                      Well, there goes that saved 2 grand, plus another 2-3 grand. My pads not up to current code so they won't use it. I have it removed and replaced with a thicker reinforced pad
                      Anyone have a ballpark on a 16' x 20' x 4" reinforced pad? Probably 3500 psi, I don't know what the Republics code is.
                      Hi Silent,
                      have you already had the existing slab removed?
                      If it's still there and in good shape it'll do fine for a shed floor.
                      Dig a trench all round it and get a 12" x 12" footing poured all round it to build a larger shed on.
                      16' x 20' is a bit on the small side anyway.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Unfortunately it's not a matter of the slab being able to hold up to the weight, it's that the Republic of Kalifornia won't let Tuff Shed build my garage on it. Since the garage is over 200 square, a permit is required and code must be followed. The old slab is cracked in several places anyway, so I doubt that it's reinforced. I know I can save some cash by doing the demo and haul out myself.
                        Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

Building yourself from scratch can be a big headache. Knowing and meeting the various codes, getting inspections and perhaps re-inspections etc all adds up and can add up fast. If you can get a 2 car garage for 10K and it's well built your in pretty good shape. If it's insulated and wired ready to go your in really really good shape. From what I have seen on TV ads for some of them the only down side is .. will it blend in with your home and also add to the overall value. Some of those ready to go structures can be somewhat industrial looking and some are down right ugly.
                          Rob
                          KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                          1978 XS500E
                          1979 XS1100F Restored
                          1980 XS1100 SG
                          1981 Suzuki GS1100
                          1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                          1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Follow the Clickie in the first post and the first picture (upper left) is the one that I'm considering having built. My house is a stucco colonial. Only reason I'd call it a colonial is that there's pillars out front holding up the portch roof. Tuff Shed has a pritty good reputation so the quality should be there. I'll have to do the insulation, wiring and drywall myself, but I'm good with all that.
                            Ray

'07 FJR1300

Comment

If you've gone this long without one.....you should ask yourself, "for 10 grand do I really need one and what will I do with it once it's built?" I got a 3 car garage and a story and 1/2 barn full of STUFF and there's just enough room for the XS11 SWMBO is a hoarder and I have to admit that after 20 years of marriage, I have become one too. JAT
                              My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X