Rear shock adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear shock adjustment

Hi, This may seem like a very elementary question but exactley how do you rotate the rear shock tension dealy. It says in clymer to just use the spanner in the tool kit (Cresent wrench?). Right now it is sitting at it's lowest point and I need to increase tension but I don't really see a way to rotate it.
    79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
    07 V-star 1100
    Do you want it done right or do you want me to do it?

Re: Rear shock adjustment

Originally posted by Bud Manley
    Hi, This may seem like a very elementary question but exactley how do you rotate the rear shock tension dealy. It says in clymer to just use the spanner in the tool kit (Cresent wrench?). Right now it is sitting at it's lowest point and I need to increase tension but I don't really see a way to rotate it.
    Robert
    79 SF

Comment

I'll try again..... I stick a long thin screwdriver in the hole in the knob at the bottom of the shock for leverage and turn (to increase preload turn clockwise I believe). It may help it turn easier if you lubricate the collar.
      Robert
      79 SF

Comment

Not sure a screwdriver will work. The problem is that at it's lowest point I have to rotate the nob to the inside. I bet theres a tool to do it I just don't have it in my kit. Does anyone have a tool that looks like this:

/---------\
        | /||---- \
        | /
        | /
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | |
        | |
        ~~
        79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
        07 V-star 1100

Comment

Check lower left of pic from partsnmore, it shows the tool.

http://partsnmore.com/PNMSite/RD350%...7%20SHOCKS.htm
          Gary
          79sf
          78e

Comment

Does taking them off make it easier? I did mine but can't remember if they were mounted or not at the time.
            Marty in NW PA
            Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
            Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
            This IS my happy face.

Comment

There is a hole about 1/8" in diameter for you to put a blunt tool in and rotate - not the best set up if you don't have the right diameter tool. It takes a straight rod. Something like a phillips with the tip cut off would work best.
              Traditional spanners won't work (parts n more) due to the dealy bob being about 1/4" off the surface of the shock adjustment thingy.
              Grease on the cam greatly helps.
              The intent was for "on the bike adjustment" for weight loading conditions - removing from the bike may be required to free them up and grease them, but not for regular day to day adjustment.
              If the adjustment knob rotates to the inside when turned, I bet someone put the shocks on backwards.
              Rocky
              00 Cagiva Gran Canyon
              80 XS11 Special -sold
              77 HD Sportster
              75 Norton Commando

Comment

Thats the tool. It's not in my kit and it would almost work if it would be able to fit between the shock and frame.

I think your right rockyr74 the PO mounted em backwards.

This leads to yet another question. are they hard to remove? Also I haven't searched here yet but the blinker module only blinks on a rouhg idle or when I hit it with something leading me to believe that it needs replacement. I went to Advanced Auto a little while ago and bought an electronic blinker thingy and it doesn't do ****. Is there a common replacement or is this a "Special" item?
                79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                07 V-star 1100

Comment

Bud,
                  I used a large Channel Lock to turn my old ones, wrapped in a shop rag. The new Whipmes came with the hook tool you show.
                  '81 XS11 Midnight Special

Comment

I'll try the channel locks or perhaps a pipe wrench. Good idea. I was afraid of crushing them but I suppose it's worth a try.
                    Thanks
                    79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                    07 V-star 1100

Comment

shock adjustment

Bud. hi. i use the channel lock method, cuz my bike has side hard bags.only way to adjust them on bike. My bike is a xs 1100 SG full dress.
                      when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                      80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Thanks guys.
                        79 XS1100F "JINGUS"
                        07 V-star 1100

Comment

Working...
                        X