LED Turn signals,Brake /Taillight???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Turn signals,Brake /Taillight???

Has anyone used LED turn signals and brake/taillight applications on their Elevens and have they been successful?? I'm looking into this and was curious from those who are much wiser than I am about this bike if they will work and what I need to do to make them happen, or should I trash the idea???
    From "OK" to "We Will See!!"
    79 XS11F "Old Spice"

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...light=led+time

Several of us are using various combinations of LEDS and HID.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hey CNJFarm,

With your bike, you'll need to add a couple of diodes between your turn signal lines going to the turn signal INDICATOR in the dash, otherwise the current will bleed thru the indicator and light up the OTHER SIDE, and you will only have 4 way flashers! MikesXS.net used to carry these, but when I searched their site recently, they didn't have/show them. I think BikeBandit has them?

The 79SF has the small single bulb tail light, and in the site that is provided in that previous thread, you'll find some special lights with separate bulb bases and LED display plates, so you can get a much larger/wider array of bulbs to mount inside the tail light lens other than just a single solid bulb.

Also there are a few tech tips with info about LEDs and such. IT's a few years old, and much of the surgery isn't required anymore with these newer fancier bulb designs!! And like Craz, I've put LEDs in my gauges, my license light, hi beam and neutral light, but not in the fuel indicator, again because there is voltage leakage to that it came on all the time, switched back to regular bulb for that one. Also, best to use regular bulb in the turn INDICATOR, provides more resistance for the electronic flasher to work.

A fellow Xsive recently went to ALL LEDs including his turn indicators, and his flasher's won't work with a electronic flasher? Haven't heard an update from him regarding whether putting the regular bulbs back in the Indicator sockets helped to solve the non flashing problem??
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I just bought the flashers I use from the same place as the LEDs. Figured they would know what works.

and they were inexpensive.

Because mine is an 80, I don't have that bleed through issue, but what is neat is that the signal indicators in the dash light up when I signal, and then alternate between 1/2 on and full on, instead of going off/on. A little different effect.

Personally, I wouldn't have put LEDs on the signal lights, except that they are also park lights, of which I have 10 on my bike. Lots of power draw.

'05 ST1300

Comment

I just,for giggles, checked the manufacture date which is 11/79. the title says 79, but I think I have a mismatch 80 on my hands..............hmmm
          79 XS11F "Old Spice"

Comment

LED turn signal lights

yep - I have fitted LED units - found they wouldnt flash then sought an electronic flasher unit and all is good (the LED units dont draw sufficient current for the bi-metallic strip flasher unit to work)

want to ditch the whole tail light assembly for a more svelt LED unit but havent done so yet.

Bryan
            Bryan H

"Conan, what's best in life?"
            "To crush your enemies, drive them before you and the lamentation of their women"

Comment

Originally posted by cnjfarm View Post
              I just,for giggles, checked the manufacture date which is 11/79. the title says 79, but I think I have a mismatch 80 on my hands..............hmmm
              Don't go by the born on date, but the frame/engine serial number, then go to the MISC forum, look for the thread about finding out what year/model of XS11 you have, and you'll know for sure what year/model you have...provided your engine and frame #'s match!?
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

yep they make a huge difference!
                " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                8mm msd wires
                tkat fork brace...
                Fox shocks...
                mikes650 front fender
                led's gallore...
                renthal bars
                gold valve emulators
                vmax tensioner
                Rifle fairing

Comment

Just ran her birthday up on the ID chart, according to that she is a 79 but certainly does have some 80 model looks....................
                  79 XS11F "Old Spice"

Comment

If it was made in Nov 79, it's an 80.

Not sure where TC is going, but all vehicles made after Aug, in any year, are models of the following model year.

Been that way for over 50 years, as far as I know.

Sometimes you will get hybrids, or 1/2yr models. Ford used to like to do that with 1964 1/2 Mustangs, etc. but I have never seen the Japanese do that.

So the question is: What parts look like 79 and what parts look like 80? Perhaps a PO had to do some repairs, and mixed n matched a few things.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Check out THIS THREAD. I changed my indicators and rear light to LED and I'm very pleased with the result
                      '84 Sport

Comment

Working...
                      X