Seat pad advice (gel pad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat pad advice (gel pad)

Well, they hauled off my wheel chair today, and they left the padding here, since it had butt sweat on it (although not on my face ). SO I have about a 1.5 square foot piece of 3/4 thick medical grade gel cushion.

Can I just put that in between the seat foam and cover or does it need some foam on top to protect it from wear? What would be the best way to make my seat on the scoot more comfy for long trips with that?
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

I just added some carpet padding to my seat. I was surprised how easily the cover came off and went back on. Less than an hours work. It works great. Not sure on the gel pad though. I would think if the pad has a cover on it already you wouldn't need any extra covering.
    My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Well, it wasn't what I thought. It was a heavy duty bag filled with what feels like dish soap. I just shoved it in between the foam and the cover. We'll see how it works.

Still open to some suggestion on a way to make it work better.

Comment

Ivan can't help you with the seat thing , but just wanted to say that I'm glad you are doing better and getting ready to ride again. Larry R
        Alias Larry R in Kelso WA

When in dought, punch it.
        XS1100LG Precious current
        XS1100SF Ruby gone to a better home
        KZ900B MIA stolen (ALL bike thieves MUST GET OFF THE PLANET more politically correct ???)

Comment

Hey Ivan I have one of those ATV seat pads that I got from Tod...along with 2 layers of sleeping bag mattress foam abt 1/2" thick. I cut the foam to the shape of the seat while staying within the ATV pad's shape...so with the 2 pcs of foam between the seat and the ATV pad (which can be tightened down by the straps) I have enough padding to flatten out my XJ's seat.. The ATV pad keeps the foam in place and protects it from wear. Lets see if I can find a pic...BTW my XJ seat was like sitting on a ski slope. I kept sliding down it and could not maintain the position I wanted...Now its 100% better. Click on pic to resize
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

seat

I know its some money but I bought an airhawk and I love the thing. Even if you dont start out using it on a trip you can add it later in the trip and it helps tons. I bought one at a harley swap meet for $40.00 And it still looked new. I try to go to the harley swap meet here in kc every month. If the part has anything to do with jap bikes its cheap.

ed

Comment

I wear a pair of padded bicycle shorts under my riding pants.That being said...please burn the butt sweat foam and never speak of it again.

Terry
              1980 special (Phyllis)
              1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Speaking of gel pads and burning, I believe others have tried putting the gel directly under the seat cover and found it got so bloody hot it burned their delicate parts!!
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Ivan, that gel idea will be off help for your bottom side...........just doen't leave bike parked in sun for awhile, then get back on. That gel will hold the heat, then transfer to you bout the 100yd.mark, and you'll have blisters before you can whoa it and get off.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Ran across this about a year ago.....

http://greatdaytoride.com/FAQ.html I think i might send my seat to this guy sometime soon. The price seems right! I have a JCW Travelcade King Queen seat kit that replaced the old foam and cover. The shape is fine but the foam hard as heck after about 100 mi.
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Schming View Post
                      http://greatdaytoride.com/FAQ.html I think i might send my seat to this guy sometime soon. The price seems right! I have a JCW Travelcade King Queen seat kit that replaced the old foam and cover. The shape is fine but the foam hard as heck after about 100 mi.
                      Sounds like a good idea and reasonable price. Might do that this winter, if time and money permits.

Comment

Highly Recommend Spencer's

Yeah I posted a thread a while back with a link to Spencer's Moto Care... He does alot of seats...he did my Honda ST1100 seat and earlier this year he redid my '82 XJ1100 seat as well...if you get his LD mod you have the choice of having him lower the seat 1'' or not...also if you dont have the pillion portion done its only $75...at least it was when I had mine done...he is quick too...from the time I sent it out and it came back...7 days total!
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Thinkin about buying one of these myself:

http://www.alaskaleatheronline.com/s...timonials/Page

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                            Yeah I posted a thread a while back with a link to Spencer's Moto Care... He does alot of seats...he did my Honda ST1100 seat and earlier this year he redid my '82 XJ1100 seat as well...if you get his LD mod you have the choice of having him lower the seat 1'' or not...also if you dont have the pillion portion done its only $75...at least it was when I had mine done...he is quick too...from the time I sent it out and it came back...7 days total!
                            Wow! Seven days, that's amazing! I'm goin' for it. Did you have to send pics of You and/or Your passenger seated on the bike? I only ask 'cause my bike is up on a stand without the forks as I'm rebuilding them along with every other part of the bike I apoligize. I didn't mean to hijack this thread
                            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Wow! Seven days, that's amazing! I'm goin' for it. Did you have to send pics of You and/or Your passenger seated on the bike? I only ask 'cause my bike is up on a stand without the forks as I'm rebuilding them along with every other part of the bike I apoligize. I didn't mean to hijack this thread
                              Its a valid question...1st off it took 3 days by UPS to get to fla he worked on it in 1 day and sent it out that day too...then 3 days to get it back to me...depending on where you are sending it from...now I have dealt with him twice and never sent any pics...if you go to his website in the link there is an order form and some pretty clearcut instructions..just read thru it carefully...It is up to you to ship the seat and pre-pay for the return shipping as well..enclose the printed copy of the order form and the money order and the return shipping label...Finally dont trycalling him as he is too busy to answer the phone...however if you email him he is very prompt at responding...Lastly...Spencer(real name is Frank) is an absolute gentleman and a pleasure to do business with...Your mileage wont vary on that one oh one final note be sure to ask him if he does your particular seat...
                              Last edited by madmax-im; 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM.
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X