Avon Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avon Tires

Should have know better than buy tires named after a brand of lipstick. I put Avon AM26 Roadrider tires on my XS11 two years ago. A couple of weeks ago I get this wiggle in my rear, (the bikes rear) that ran my pucker facter up to about 9.9 on a 1 to 10 scale. Checked the air in my tires, and it was fine, so I kept going. Noticed a little weather checking on the rear and thinking it was a bit soon to be seeing that, I kept going. A couple of days later, it happened again. This time I started shaking the wheel, and looked closer trying to see what the heck. Then I noticed I have some deep cracks around the sides of the rear tire, said a few choice words, and started surfing the web to see if anyone else has had the problem. Learned about date codes and found my front tire to be 2006, and rear is 2007. Both tires were installed same day in 2007. Found a post on the Inet that said Avon had acknowledged a bad batch of tires produced two years ago. The guy that posted the message said he had gotten a replacement tire for just the mounting cost. I plan to try the same thing this week. Will let you know how it comes out. If you have Avon tires, made in 2007, you might want to give them a close look.
    Last edited by rickmc2000; 08-30-2009, 09:20 PM.
    RickMc
    <ricks.mailbox@charter.net>
    1978 XS1100E

Thanks for the realworld/realtime update. Would be nice to know how a bikeshop responds to the "recall/bad tire" situation.

And I was just about to order a set of Mary Kay tubeless tires in pink.

Comment

I got an Avon rear tire last year because the guy at the bike shop said guys on the Goldwings were getting 12-15k out of them. I tried one and got less than 8k, and it cupped so bad, it felt like you were riding on a ridgeboard when cornering.

With that said, the Avon on the front has been the best tire I've had up there to date. With an Elite 3 on the back and the Avon up front, it has given me the best handling combination I've had yet. I probably got close to 20k miles out of that front Avon and it shed rain/water like a duck's back. It only came in black though, not pink. Sorry to break it to you Larry.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

[QUOTE=rickmc2000;230204]Should have known better than buy tires named after a brand of lipstick.

Hi Rick,
        FYI the Avon rubber Co. had it's beginnings in a mill in Limpley Stoke on the banks of the river Avon in 1885.
        The cosmetics firm started a year later but did not change it's name to Avon Products until 1939.
        Better to ask SWMBO why her cosmetics are named after a tire company.
        Last edited by fredintoon; 08-31-2009, 10:24 AM.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Contenatial Tires

I had been a firm beliver of Continental tires. I know this string was about a differant brand. i HOWEVER WANTED to add my history and problems. Please forgive my divergence.

I had a major blowout in less then 500 miles using Conti Cruse tires. The fact that I lived through it makes me happy big time. I had less then 1000 miles on the tire. Two inch hole in the side wall, do ing 80 mph. The tire had less then 1000 miles on it.
          Last edited by DenyP; 08-31-2009, 01:55 PM.
          1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
          1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

I had a major blowout in less then 500 miles using Conti Cruse tires.
            But wasn't that from hitting a rock?

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100

Comment

I was stone sober!! I do not think I hit anything, but if I did, it wasn't part of the expirance.

Deny
              1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
              1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

That was someone else that hit the rock Tod. C'mon man, keep up. lol
                Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                '82 XJ1100
                '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Yeah, I remember THINGS well... but peoples' names.. not so much. lol.

I was stone sober!!
                  Maybe that was the problem?? Come make a weekend ride with us..

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

Avon Tires

Finally resolved. Started this thread on August 30th and finally got my tires replaced Novenber 1st. I have to apologize to Avon, they bent over backward to replace my two year old cracked tires. Our local dealer, Full Throttle, where I bopught the tires was another story. Full Throttle made me do all of the leg work to contact Avon, who was very supportive, it just took them a long time to get the rear tire in stock. Motorcycle Superstore from Oregon, gave me a bit of run around also. They originally said they would front me a tire and have Avon replace their tire when they got one. Sounded great, but when it came down to it, they quit answering my calls and finally told Avon they didn't have the tire in stock even though they told me that they did. Now that the season is over, I'm ready to ride. Oh well, I'l be ready for next year. Next time I think I'll buy Brigstone or ?
                    RickMc
                    <ricks.mailbox@charter.net>
                    1978 XS1100E

Comment

Todd's
                      But wasn't that from hitting a rock?
                      That was DENYZ I believe
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
                      X