More confussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More confussion

My search for crossover pasts has led me to a maze.

In a search in the Partsfinder website for rear brake caliper (thinking I would turn up compatable parts) I would up in a confusing bunch of numbers.

1979SF turned up rear master cylinder matches of:

XS11003X0 2H9
    XS1100E 2H7
    XS1100G 3H5

CALIPER # IS:
    79SF caliper (2H7-25810-51)
    78E calliper 3J6-25810-52-00
    80G caliper 2H7-25810-52-00
    On the Partfinder page with the part# for the caliper it said Originally From XS1100 E&F The part #'s for the E & F are way off from the others.

PAD#: 79SF Pad 1J3-W0046-00-00
    80G Pad 1J3-W0046-00-00
    78E BRAKE PAD KIT, FRNT 4K0-W0045-01-00 (That is how it is listed in "rear brake caliper")
    79F BRAKE PAD KIT, FRNT 4K0-W0045-01-00

Does this make sense to anyone? Different caliper numbers (not off by much) but having such a difference in brake pad numbers.
    I realize that the Caliper numbers could be such as they have been superceded part numbers.
    It is a small thing but is there a secret to cracking the parts codes?

Nothing is off by much but it is enough to give me pause before ordering any parts.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Rodger
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

I'll touch on a couple of pieces here.

There are 2 different styles of brake pads for the XS's, with a total of 3 different sets, depending on year/model. What exactly are you trying to purchase - the calipers, or the pads, or both? The pads on my MNS have the flat, square-looking pads on both sides on the front (all 4 pads are the same), just like the Standards, and the rear has the rectangular, beveled pads, just like the right-fronts on the other Specials.

4W1-W0046-00-00 (LH Rear) and 3J6-W0045-01-00 (SH right front), 2G2-W0045-00-00 (SF Front right) are all exactly the same.

2G2-W0045-10-00 (SF Left Front) and 3J6-W0045-11-00 (SG,SH left front) are both exactly the same.

4W1-W0045-00-00 (LH Front - both sides), 1J3-W0045-00-00 (E,F,G front - both sides), and 3H5-W0045-01-00 (H front - both sides) are all exactly the same.

The main difference between some of them is the shims that come in the kits. Of course, some distributors don't include the shims in the package. For example, the front's for the LH don't require the "B" shaped shims that the Standards do, because the calipers are shaped differently.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

The other thing to remember is the pad material is different between front and rear! Yamaha had a "harder" pad on the front, as it does most of the brake work. The rear pad was designed to work even in the "wet", although it didn't do that well, IMHO. Most after market pads use the same material for front and rear, and do work well. Pad technology, like eveything else, has improved since 30 years ago!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Here is what I am trying to replace.

I have no idea how this happened. I never asked the PO. Short of having been hit with a grinder, it looks like a wheel or something rubbed it down. The brake line was similarly worn on the fitting. The bike only had scrapes like it had gone down once, lightly, on its right side. (How did I do, Ivan).

I decided if I was going to flog everything else, it will be a small thing to replace the caliper. I just want to be able to replace it with a know quantity. Also want to be able the tell someone "it's all 79SF".

I used to own a '68 International Scout and every time I repaired something new I had to take the part I wanted to fix down to the parts store to be sure I was getting the correct part.
        Last edited by latexeses; 08-31-2009, 10:46 PM.

Everything on hold...

Comment

Looks to me like they had some bags mounted that were rubbing. Or they ground it down to keep their bags from rubbing.
          Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
          '82 XJ1100
          '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Looks like bag mounts rubbing to me too, I've seen that before.

There is (some) sense to the Yamaha part numbering system....
            - First three digits gives us the first model the part was used on (2H7 being 1978 E model XS1100)
            - The middle 5 digits just tell us what part of the bike it is, 25810 means brake caliper.
            - Next two digits tell us what type of caliper, e.g. 02 Front Left, 12 Front Left, 52 is a Rear caliper.

The 1979 SF Rear Caliper is part number 2H7-25810-52-00 which is the same part number as on the 1978 E and 1980 G models so you can definately use those calipers.

Now then, the F model came between the E and G and I don't think they would have changed & then reverted to the old caliper so I'd say that will fit as well.

SG and onwards models have a different part number so there may be a design change so I can't say for sure that you can use one of those calipers.

Looks to me like the confusion with the part numbers has come about because once the 'new' SG caliper with the 3J6 number was assigned they (it's always they isn't it?) went back to the earlier E/F caliper and updated the part number to match the new one. Dunno why, maybe they were trying to help.
            Brian
            XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
            Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Bigfoot, Lamric,

I think you are exactly right. There was a set of hard bags with the bike when I picked them up. They weren't mounted though. I sort of stuffed those parts in the shed and worried about the rest of the bike.

Come to think of it, the mounts on the bags didn't look like they were stock. PO may have been trying to make something work that didn't belong on the bike.

He was using a 78 manual to work on the 79SF wiring.

I'll post a photo of the fuse box in a bit.

Everything on hold...

Comment

PO's creative wiring..
                Can anyone think of a reason it wouldn't run right?
                The fuse block really doesn't look that good. I pushed all of the holders back into place to take the photo...

Champ the Circus Freak... Another story...

Last edited by latexeses; 09-01-2009, 06:10 PM.

Everything on hold...

Comment

All the rear calipers on the Standards (all years) and the Specials (79-80) are the same.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

My humble thanks gentlemen.

Rodger

Everything on hold...

Comment

Nasty looking wiring. Nice looking dog!
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

That is EXACTLY the way it looked when the PO said he couldn't get it to run.

I figure that and some of the "fuzzy" connections might have had something to do with the failure to run.

The dog has a nose like no other dog I have ever had. Had Britany spaniels, English pointers, German shorthairs and Labs.

He dug a ten inch deep hole in the back yard to dig up a rusty hammer head. No joke. He dug up old spark plugs, rusty 5/8" nuts and it goes on...

But he's all mine. Just wish I could teach him to find gold nuggets!!!

Everything on hold...

Comment

Now THAT is cool! A metal-detecting dog!? My dog can't even find his own chew-bone if I throw it across the yard. Although, I can imagine how frustrating it might be to have a yard full of holes, and nothing worth-while to show for it...
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

It really p!$$ed me off when he was digging the holes. All of the little rusty gifts he was leaving by the back door.

I told a buddy about him finding the iron and said I couldn't wait to get him on the pheasants. My buddy said "Screw the pheasants, teach him to find gold nuggets!!

Good advice. I just don't have too many of them burried around the yard...

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
                            X