Most dangerous city for motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most dangerous city for motorcycles

I live in Baton Rouge Louisiana and have an 80 G. Although it hasn't been started in 6 years, I'll be getting to it soon and will be calling out for help.
    About a year ago my wife and her girlfriend told me that they saw on the net that Baton Rouge was the most dangerous city in the country for motorcycling.
    Whenever I do a search all I get is lawyers or insurance companies.
    Anyone know if that is true and where to get info on where are the worst places to ride?
    thanks
    JMF
    For those who faught for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never taste.
    Unknown deffender of Khe Sahn

Welcome to the site, and you came to the right place for help getting one of these bikes up and running again.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

The place you ride isn't the only thing that makes it dangerous! HOW you ride has a LOT more to do with your survival on a motorcycle. Study the thread about motorcycles being invisible. To survive in ANY city, you MUST ride as if no one can see you. My second rule is the cars that DO see me are trying to kill me. So far that has kept me alive on the roads for almost 40 years...
      Welcome to the site, and DO try to take a motorcycle safety course. You can never learn too much about staying alive on the road.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Guys - the OP has been on here for the last 2 years... not exactly a new member.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

2007, statistics for your state

89 fatalities, 73.0% wearing helmets, 23.5 w/o

Both California and Florida had over 500 fatalities.
          Your state is sort of in the middle/upper end of fatalities for states with low populations. No info for cities only.

mro
          Ride like DiverRay

Comment

Most dangerous place to ride is wherever I am at on my bike at that moment....in my mind anyway.

Like DiverRay statedm it was taught to me at my safety course to be paranoid! Assume they are ALL trying to kill you!

Best case is you were prepared for somethign that did not happen, worse case is you were prepared for what did happen and had the best chance to take all precautions to minimize the impact, figuratively and literally.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              Guys - the OP has been on here for the last 2 years... not exactly a new member.
              Oops, my bad.
              Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
              '82 XJ1100
              '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Knowing the Unknowable

I had a respectful interest in this topic when I got my special running. At the time I was living on an island that had the top rating for vehicle accidents per capita/per miles driven. Very scary place: San Juan Island in Washington State.

Check this out:

http://money.aol.com/forbes/general/...18113109990001

More important than looking at the statistics of known "risky" roads is being able to recognize roads and situations that would qualify as such.

Stay Sharp!

Comment

In my experience, its not that they are TRYING to kill you, its that they are too STUPID not to. I really wish they'd leave the killing me part up to me.
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Baton Rouge

Welcome to the site. I am right down the road from you about 70 miles so if you ever need something, give me a shout.
                    78 XS1100E Standard
                    Coca Cola Red
                    Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Baton Rouge Safer Than San Juan Island

Took me a while to find this but worth the effort:

http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/sanjuans.../20102009.html

Chances are that the entire island would fit inside the boundaries of your home city. Not nearly as many streets or as many miles of paved roads as Baton Rouge. Just that because there's so many distractions: things to divert your eyes and attention from the road. Likely that most drivers are on vacation with their favorite liquor in the cup holders. Not a coincidence that the liquor store is the second busiest in the state either.

And I thought that cause I was out of the "big city" I was safer.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                        In my experience, its not that they are TRYING to kill you, its that they are too STUPID not to. I really wish they'd leave the killing me part up to me.
                        I hear ya Ivan. Sooner or latter they will get ya. I've had a few in the past thank God not as bad as Ivans but still 11 days in the Oak/Nav hospital. I believe every city is the worst - I try to stay out of them. Mind you I am the guy who lives 8 miles from town, a town of 2500. Still gota watch out for the Green (John Deer) and them with antlers, but neither is likely to hit me doing 45+. If I am going to Minneapolis I am usually in my cage.

Deny
                        1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                        1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Thanks for the response. I've been riding for 40 years and most of it on my G that I baught new. Through my own negligence I stopped riding and now I have a bunch of work to get it back on the road. Don't get me wrong, This will be a labor of love to work on my bike and make her loto prove or disproveok pretty again. As a machinist I love tinkering with things and especialy inventing little gadgets and doodads for my bike, car or p/u.
                          I've taken about 6 MSF courses and a few others. I retired a year and a half ago but while in work I was always on the safety committee and as often as I could I tried to bring MC safety, awareness and statistics as a topic.
                          My wife with the help of her girlfriend, are trying to intimidate, coerce and scare me into not riding any more. Them telling me that Baton Rouge is the most dagerouse city to ride in is part of their tactic.
                          I would like to find the info to prove or disprove their claims. regardless I will be riding hopefully by next spring.
                          Thanks
                          JMF

i
                          For those who faught for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never taste.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I've been riding for 40 years and most of it on my G that I baught new. Through my own negligence I stopped riding and now I have a bunch of work to get it back on the road. Don't get me wrong, This will be a labor of love to work on my bike and make her look pretty again. As a machinist I love tinkering with things and especialy inventing little gadgets and doodads for my bike, car or p/u.
                            I've taken about 6 MSF courses and a few others. I retired a year and a half ago but while in work I was always on the safety committee and as often as I could I tried to bring MC safety, awareness and statistics as a topic.
                            My wife with the help of her girlfriend, are trying to intimidate, coerce and scare me into not riding any more. Them telling me that Baton Rouge is the most dagerouse city to ride in is part of their tactic.
                            I would like to find the info to prove or disprove their claims. regardless I will be riding hopefully by next spring.
                            Thanks
                            JMF

i

Comment

Working...
                            X