Subaru Legacy Coils???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subaru Legacy Coils???

I know this is a motorcycle forum but thought I would ask. I have been having a problem with my work car and did a tune up(oil, filters, plugs and wires) and it did not help. The problem I am having is in the morning on start up the car acts like it skipping/stalling. After it warms up about five minutes driving the problem goes away and will not act up the rest of the day even sitting for 3 to 4 hours. My thought is that it is the coils so I pulled the coils to look at them and they had a white battery corrosion on the screws(no were near the battery. I cleaned them off it also looked as though the contact to the engine was dirty so I cleaned them up. My questions are were would the battery acid white come from and could me cleaning it solve my problem. My problem only occurs in the morning I have been unable to get it to act up during the day. I did pull the plug wires off the coils yesterday one at a time. When I took #1 off the engine cut off, #2 the engine ran poorly and same for #3 and #4. After cleaning today it cuts off no matter which one I pulled off.
    Eric (South of Greensboro, NC)
    82 XJ1100 "Echos" Mostly Stock
    Matthew 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

Sounds like A fuel injection issue. I would run a couple bottles of cleaner thru it.
    '81 1100 MNS - "Midnight XSpress"
    Original except:
    120 mains outer cylinders - 125 mains inner cylinders - Ceramic headers - Powder coated pipes, covers calipers, and MC's
    4 pods - Air box gutted--E3 Plugs - High Back seat - Grooved out swing arm - SS brake lines
    Fork brace - 160 speedo - Auto CCT
    All gold paint and chrome replaced with GOLD plate

"STUPID is Forever" Ron White.
    Contact me by PM -I don't deal with stupid anymore.

Big John

Comment

Rough running in the morning is a symptom of coils. But coils are not the only cause for that syptom.

The corrosion comes from bimetallic electrochemicalsomethingoranother. When two metals are bolted up against each other, they corrode. I suspect its steel against aluminum. Usually a small amount of that is not a big deal. The secondary ignition system used very high voltage and very low current. If you see it in the connector for the primary side, then you may have a problem. Also, if I am not mistaken, it is a waste spark system on the subaru, just like our XS11s. If that is the case, there wouldn't even be any current running to ground from the coil pack any how, since the coil fires through two plug wires to make the circuit.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
      X