No announcement yet.

Any Ford electronics experts out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ford electronics experts out there?

The other day I picked up a factory cd changer/head unit for a 08' mustang. It has the same plug style as my 08' f150. Initially I just had the factory radio with nothing else. When I plugged in the new stereo, it plays CD's and radio fine but he lights do not work. The screen works great but when I put on the lights, it does not dim. I am assuming that the dimmer wire is in a different location. I wanted to retain a stock radio so that I would keep the dimming feature because I do a lot of night driving. So Right now, I have a radio that plays but only works well in the day time because if does not dim and the buttons do not light up. Does anyone know anthing about ford wiring? Where could I pick up a wiring schematic for an f150 and mustang to compare the wiring setups? I read somewhere that these radio can be reprogrammed for that to work. Any ideas?
    thanks
    United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
    If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
    "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
    "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
    Acta Non Verba

I got the wiring diagrams for installing a remote starter in SWMBO's 01 blazer on a site called "all data DIY". They worked well for me but I think the cost of a subscription is based on the number of cars you want info for. Maybe try mustang/truck forums, someone might have them for free?
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

Ford used two main methods for controlling the dimming for lights on the panel. A rheostat and a digital dimmer. Things like incandescent light bulbs do well with just reduced voltage. Florescent displays don't work well with that. They use much less current than a light bulb and require a different approach to dimming, so they use an on-off switch several thousand times a second and control the duty cycle for dimming.

You can see why the two would not be interchangeable. I am not up on the 08 models, but the trucks used to have a LCD display with a very small light bulb behind it that mimicked a fluorescent display, while the cars had an actual fluorescent display. I suspect here in lies your problem. Yes, all the radios used all the same plugs from the focus to the GT.
      Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It helped a lot. I did lots of research today and that supports what you said. By inspecting the two radios, this is what I found. There are two ways of controlling the dimmer function. One is the analogue dimmer wire located in the main power harness. The other method is the digital control located on the can bus input. My truck is not equipped with the radio can bus input. However, the radio firmware can be updated to control the dimmer function via the analogue wire. I called a ford dealer and they did not have the controller. I need to find a way or someone who can reprogram my radio to use the analogue wire. Any suggestions?
        United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
        If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
        "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
        "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
        Acta Non Verba

Comment

That kind of thing was always sent in to the ford radio repair facility. Not sure where it is, but it is expensive.

You might try crutchfield or something, they may have a solution?
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

radio

It isnt a wiring issue. The radio will have to be programed at a dealer. Thats what happens when you install one without programing. The radio plays but certain parts wont work like the lights. A ford dealer should be able to help you out. If you come to Kansas City I can do it for you.

ed

Comment

Working...
            X