Riding Gear and the weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding Gear and the weather

OK I am young, dum and full of ****. I have seen many post on must wear that gear. But my problem is it is 95 to 100 degrees sitting on a bike that is baking my legs and butt sweat running down my face even when riding. I always wear a helmet. But due to the heat I wear shorts and a T-shirt with tennis shoes with good tread. So it seems that one I need to invest in gear. I have a good leather coat and boots but I am wondering how to keep cool and what else do I need to get. I am roasting most of the time I am riding in just shorts and T-shirt. I can not imagine wear a coat and pants. So I guess i am asking for ways to keep cool. I got kids to think about and "not a pot to urinate in" to buy kevlar.
    Eric (South of Greensboro, NC)
    82 XJ1100 "Echos" Mostly Stock
    Matthew 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

Cycleport kevlar mesh. Wearing a form of body covering is more important as the heat rises. The sun and win will thear you a new one without protection. Ever wonder why the Arabians wear so much clothing?
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

Comment

Mesh body armor is the way to go. It is safe and comfortable. I wear a Camel Back so I can drink water as I ride. I have actually gotten chilled at 60mph in 100 deg. F. ambient temp. If I start feeling hot, I drink some water.

The only real down side is walking around looking like a power ranger when off the bike. I have had people say "you must be burning up in that black suit!". What they don't realize is I have only underwear on underneath.

It is the safest way to feel like you are ridding naked.
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Bigge al...

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention!!!! LOL

BUT... as someone who's experienced what it's like to have laid a bike down on asphalt, at 55 mph, in August, in shorts, tee-shirt, & tennis shoes... only a helmet... it gives a guy a "new perspective" about the importance of proper gear! Cause, let me tell ya, road rash hurts like a mother, but having those wounds SCRUBBED to get the asphalt out of them with a brush...well, I'm not sure I can properly express what that feels like, so I'll pass on trying.

But let me assure you, you don't want to find out!

So, back to what I opened with... being poor...

To date, I've been fortunate to have friends that have helped, and shopped around for sales for some of it, and saved for the rest.

Here's what I've gathered in the past 6 months...(and I can hardly believe it!)

Scorpion helmet... w/ 3 visors (used)- $100
        Mesh, kevlar jacket (used)- $60
        Mesh, Kevlar riding pants w/ liner (new) $60
        Kevlar gloves (used) -free, gift from a friend.
        TCX touring boots, new (on sale) $169.00
        Mesh undershirt and shorts- new WalMart- $20
        Fieldsheer raingear set- new, on sale- $60
        Total- $469.00

It's been 100 here in Ok. lots a days this summer... the mesh stuff works great... yes, you do want to keep moving, but it's bearable.
        One feature my bike has that I love... engine guard w' great forward foot pegs! Stretch out, and feel the breeze! Love it. Mesh pants work like A/C!

Make the investment. It's well worth it. Protect your hide! You'll be glad you did. Ride in the mornings or the late evenings when it's cooler if you can.
        But don't let a little heat, or lack of $ be your excuse why you didn't go ATGATT.
        JAT....FWIW
        Bob
        Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 08-18-2009, 08:28 PM.
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I sweated out my first summer riding in Oklahoma. Only had an all-season riding suit, but it came with a venting system. Didn't work too well, but it kept me safe from road rash. I drank lots of water. Then I got a Fieldsheer Mach IV mesh jacket and matching pants. Way better! Mesh is good. If it's chilly put on the rain cover over it and it'll keep ya warm. If it's hot, it controls evaporation to keep ya cool. Well worth the money and way cheaper than a trip to the emergency room. Sportsman's Guide is a good source of leather boots heavy enough for riding in, and New Enough.com is a good source for other gear, lots of sales and clearance stuff there, but it's good.
          So far I haven't had to road test any of my gear, but it is a comfort knowing it's there.
          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

PopRock,

Yes, a friend turned me on to New Enough.com as well.

I tried to buy my boots from them, but they didn't have my size in the style of TCX's I was looking for. Good prices, though. Especially on the clearance items.

And, I agree, mesh during the summer, and I put my liner in my riding pants and my FieldSheer rain gear on top in the winter... good to go.

I guess guys can convince themselves of lots of reasons they "can't" or "won't" ride with the right gear, and that's their choice.

But, I learned my lesson... the hard way.... ONCE.
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I don't often have to deal with temps over 100, but hight 80s to mid 90s are common, along with midwest humidity. I commute to work, so I have to wear my dress shoes and slacks on my 1.3-mile commute. However, if I go anywhere else, I put on jeans and a pair of work boots. On the top half, I always cover up. I have 2 jackets, depending on the season. For summer, its a Frank Thomas mesh, armored jacket ($119), mesh, full-fingered gloves ($30), and a full-face hemet ($79). In the winter, I trade out the jacket and gloves for the non-mesh version of the same Frank Thomas armored jacket ($229) and insulated gauntlets ($40). Of course, I spread out the cost over several months.

I agree with the statement about the highway pegs. Feeling the air up the pant legs makes a BIG difference! I crack the visor on the helmet one or two dentent notches to let air into the helmet, and it really helps cool me off. If needed, I unzip the wrist openings to catch more air. It does get warm when stopped, but I take off the jacket as soon as I dismount, so no power-ranger here! I haven't tried the armored pants ($119), but I hear they are pretty nice.

When I rode to Kansas City, I didn't drink enough, and I ended up dehydrated for the next 2 days. The wind running over the skin while sweating will dry you out super fast. Keep hydrated, and you'll be able to safely take advantage of the cooling aspects of sweat.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

FWIW....

I find that I am more comfortable in my Tourmaster gear than in a T-shirt and jeans. Riding gear does not have to be uncomfortably hot, as many in this thread have confirmed. Good gear is not cheap but you can find deals; I paid $260.00 for my pants and jacket on eBay, year-end close out of new mechandise. Boots were bought on-line at sale prices. Gloves (summer weight, Kevlar mesh) were another on-line purchase. Wearing gear can get hot at fuel stops, but when riding the suit's vents help control your sweating and you don't dry out as much. Hydration is still an issue, always take fluids with you and drink a lot.

I routinely ran, in Arizona, in temps of over 100 deg. F. Here in Colorado my commuting temps going home are often in the high 90 degree F range, and the commute is 56 miles each way. My Tourmaster jacket is more comfortable than my unvented leather jacket. Given the dust and bugs I encounter, it is not just heat that is an issue...it stings to get hit by all that junk, and the jacket helps protect in that way as well.

In short, you may find that having good gear is not only safer, but more comfortable than riding in a T and jeans, particularly if you are going to be on the road for more than an hour at a time in hot weather.

Good gear wil last many years. My Tourmaster stuff, boots, and gloves are now going on 9 years old. Jacket is starting to show some wear around the cuffs, but still very servicable. Think of your gear as an investment, as it will last a long time.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

IMHO Levies, Levie jacket, lace up steel toe boots, gloves and a helmet are a bare minimum. I wear a leather jacket and perforated leather shapps until it is all but unbearable then switch to the minimum. I will be purchasing a mesh outfit for next year. Like you, I didn't have any green to start with. I was able to buy the leathers on eBay for under $100.00.

Deny
                  1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                  1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

I bought my Fieldsheer setup in the fall. I picked it up on a close out sale in October.
                    DZ
                    Vyger, 'F'
                    "The Special", 'SF'
                    '08 FJR1300

Comment

i bought a yamaha jacket 5 years ago and it's great! even though it's black it has several zip open areas to let the cool air it. not riding i am a tank top man but this jacket feels cooler that when i am wearing tank tops.... plus it's got armor.
                      my coworker just bought a bike last month. he kept riding with just a tank top and low and behold he wiped out on some gravel.... he broke his shoulder blade. if he had armor he might have been ok. it absorbs some of the impact.

i can't remember the name of the jacket but i did see a guy in one of the bike mags wearing it once. it's some kind of textile. maybe not as good as leather but definatly cooler!
                      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                      8mm msd wires
                      tkat fork brace...
                      Fox shocks...
                      mikes650 front fender
                      led's gallore...
                      renthal bars
                      gold valve emulators
                      vmax tensioner
                      Rifle fairing

Comment

Riding mostly in Saskatchewan, I rely on a Heine Gericke hip length leather jacket & rain pants over jeans (my Belstaff pants having mysteriously shrunk over time) to stay warm enough. But a while back my wife and I rode on the "Geezers on Wheezers" tour in Northern Montana. Riding temperatures up to 105ºF. "At least it's a dry heat". Yeah, right. Only the daily rides stopping at 3pm and getting into an air conditioned motel and then into the motel pool kept us from mutual murder. I was down to my tee shirt, jeans & sneakers and Montana being a no helmet law State I borrowed my wife's 1/2 helmet while she let her hair blow in the wind. Safety freaks please note, this was a sidecar rig on minor, mostly dirt roads in a convoy of antique bikes puttering along at ~40mph.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yup... mesh good. BUT... I was wondering about THIS!?!?

...and butt sweat running down my face even when riding.
                          WTF is that all about?? Punctuation.. or lack there-of can sure make a sentence funny sometimes... lol.

Tod
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Well had to take son to hospital today so on the way there had to pass a few bike shops so I dropped in on them to check out some mesh jackets. I got my eye on a closeout jacket at a HD dealership my friend works at. Think he can get it for under a hundred. Retails for 250 but was marked down to 150. He said he would see what he could do and call me Friday. The trip to the shops was not just for gear I was also looking for fuel line, struck out at five different shops. Think I am going to have to ask for some help getting some. Looking for single wall 1/4 fuel line.
                            Eric (South of Greensboro, NC)
                            82 XJ1100 "Echos" Mostly Stock
                            Matthew 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

Comment

You can find a mesh jacket a lot cheaper than that unless you just like that one. I got a new Yamaha one with the liner for $52 off Ebay recently.

Tod
                              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100
                              *Crashed/Totalled, still own