Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel advice

Hey everyone,

I registered yesteday, and wanted to introduce myself but didn't find any about me section. Anyways I do have a question and wanted to post it in the tips section, since i am asking for some advice, but the thread is closed. If the admins need to move this thread go ahead, sorry about that.
    Well I just bought a 1980 XS eleven special from a co-worker and burnt through a tank of gas in two days riding around town, trying to adjust to the bike and of course having fun. This is my first bike and i am still very in-expirienced at riding. i took the basic riders course and learned quit a bit, but i always want to learn new things and don't mind taking advice from others.
    My question is, well I want to do a road trip probably around 300 miles and it would require me to go on the interstate for about half of the trip (honestly i am a bit iffy on going on the interstate, and i just wanted to ask fellow riders what tips and advice you could share with me to make the trip safe and enjoyable?
    Thanks in advance!!!
    JayGTI
    1980 Yamaha XS Eleven Special

I have some advice but you will not like it. Being that you are new to the bike and riding I would not go on a long trip this soon. First you need more time to learn to ride. Second give yourself time riding to see if there are any bugs to be worked out. You don't want to be 150 miles from home with a bike that is broken down. I have been ridng for three years and I just took the longest ride of two hours about 100 miles yesterday. The key thing to remember is they(other motorist) do not see you. Take a look around the site there is more info on here than you can read in weeks. I would start with the tech tips under the XS11 info tab.
    Eric (South of Greensboro, NC)
    82 XJ1100 "Echos" Mostly Stock
    Matthew 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

Comment

Welcome aboard! This kind of thread is best posted in the Members Lounge.

I kinda agree with Al... Being so new, and new to this bike, you really need to gain some experience before jumping into anything that big. Several weeks of city traffic, then a few weeks of runs on the highway to the next town and back. Give yourself some time to learn the bike. Each one has a personality of it's own, and little quirks you will need to learn about. You don't want to be stuck on the side of the road, without the right tools and the knowledge of how to fix the problem. These bikes are super powerful, and can really get you into trouble fast. Take it slow and learn your bike and how to ride. You'll enjoy it a lot more in the long run.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Thanks for the advice bigge_al and catatonicbug! I should expect that though. With everything in life you always need alot of practice and expirience. I have been riding everyday around town for about an hour and a half, since i got the bike. The trip wasn't planned for right now anyways, more along the next couple of months, but still like you two said it still might be too early. I'll just keep riding around town and here and there hit the interstate for one exit to the next town, like catatonic said, for a while and play it safe. Thanks again for the advice, and any more advice to come!
        JayGTI

Comment

I think I have to disagree with the others.
          I think a road trip is a good idea.Maybe goa 100 miles on the first trip.
          I dont mean a high speed white knuckle ride.
          But getting experience is just that and a good rider needs all types of riding.
          I personally think that city riding is the most dangerous place to ride.
          I am not real big on freeway riding as much as back country roads.I like the twisties and sweepers and the scenery too.
          I do agree that drivers just dont see us.It is up to us to make them see us.
          Defensive driving is critical on a motorcycle.
          You took the MSF course,that is good stuff.
          I would definitely take it easy and get used to the bike and riding in general.
          If you think the machine is capable of being reliable and everything is in good shape,I would spend a little more time close to home and ride a few tanks through a 30 year old bike.Just to make sure it's up to the task.
          Another thing I recommend is ride with a buddy if you can.That way you can keep an eye out for each other on the road.
          Ride safe
          Rick
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Flight Plan

Since you are new to riding, and you want to go on a road trip, make sure you plan it like a aiplane pilot files a filght plan. Make sure you notify a friend or family member of your riding plan with details (where, when and how long). That way you are covered if something goes awry (Heaven forbid). Carry a cell phone and make sure you're tool kit is intact. You might want to carry a spare set of plugs. Anyway, that's my thoughts for what it's worth.
            78 XS1100E Standard
            Coca Cola Red
            Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Yeah that's my next thing on my to-get list for the bike, is a tool kit. I found the thread that JP made which was a pretty big long list. I been searching the net and found the cruzTools kits and the windzone kits. I probably pick one of those up.
              JayGTI

Comment

Ride with Buddies!!!

Above all else on your first few road trips, Ride with some buddies!!! Guys that have been riding for a while will normally gladly take a 'short' (~100mi) with a new rider in a heartbeat just because it gives them an excuse to ride and help bring a new rider in safely! They will know what to watch for while you are more concerned about keeping the bike doing what you want and learning what you can and shouldn't do on it! One of the biggest problem areas I have seen in new riders on the highway is looking over their shoulder to change lanes/merge... They are either uncomfortable doing it and rely on their mirrors, or they have trouble holding the bike in the right direction while they are looking elsewhere! Riding with others you can rely on them a little bit to protect you in those situations while you are learning the 'ropes'. The slightest movement of the handlebars while you are looking behind you could make for a very messy mistake! (unfortunately I have seen this first hand more than once...)

Don't ever be scared to ask for advise or help! It could save your life!
                This world needs more Christian, RedNeck, Cowboys!

1981 XS1100 Special for sale! $750!

Comment

Welcome to the forum...and I'd think some riding buddies on a 100 miler would be great way to gain some valuable insights into riding...also I would tend to avoid city riding as there are too many variables to account for...Interstates(slabs) are generally safer than being in town but are boring as hell..IMHO back roads are the best... When I learned to ride a street bike 33 yrs ago...the first thing I did was take it out on the interstate and rode from Tucson to Phoenix and back..and I did it solo..plus back then the only motorcycle safety course was" flying by the seat of your pants"...Most importantly is that people in cages(cars) do NOT see you and you should think and act like you are invisible to them...look in the tech section for an article by TC "You Are Invisible"...Finally you would do well to get some proper riding apparrel...a full face helmet and some good clothing that has armor in it...there are all sorts of proponents for ATGATT(all the gear all the time)some people are dead set against it ...and it is their right to choose...however if you are concerned for you well being then the prudent thing is to gear up...Good luck and dont rush things and you'll have a lifetime of great riding to experience.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by JayGTI View Post
                    - - - - I want to do a road trip probably around 300 miles and it would require me to go on the interstate for about half of the trip (honestly i am a bit iffy on going on the interstate, and i just wanted to ask fellow riders what tips and advice you could share with me to make the trip safe and enjoyable?
                    Thanks in advance!!!
                    Hi Johnny and welcome,
                    don't sweat the interstate, so long as you don't ride like a madman you are safer there than when you are in downtown traffic.
                    One thing about interstates and XS11 Specials is always knowing where the next gas station is. The XS11 has an appalling thirst and the Special has a gas tank that carries just less than 4 gallons. You will really hate pushing it.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

My 2 cents

I have to agree with what I've read so far. I noticed that you are on an AF base, so you should have a buncha guys looking to escape for a ride. I was lucky and had a neighbor that rode with me when I got back in the saddle this spring. We hit all the back roads. Lotsa different conditions that way to get used too. I have ridden since '65, but since I was down for a few years, I understand your excitement. The ting to remember is that you are ridinga 30 yr. old machine. At it's inception it was "the" muscle bike.

Having recently made the acquaintance of a local highway, I can't stress enough that gear is vital for your well being.

Mt thought is : If you take your time now and learn, you will have plenty of time later to ride.

Enjoy!
                      Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
                      1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
                      1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

I agree with everyone here, both opinions. Its hard for us to tell you, you should or shouldn’t go for yer first 100 miler, that decision is ultimately up to you. What you should do first is ride ride ride. Get to know your bike, ride around town, get out on the back roads and ride, preferably with another riding buddy. I grew up riding on two wheels but when I got my XS11 it was my first “real” two wheeled experience on the road. Ive had my XS since late April and have rode slightly over 5000 miles. I had about 1000 miles on'er when I decided to make a 200 mile round trip one day. I think it was a little too much at that time, let me tell ya, the next day I was hurting. Although I did it and was safe about it, I found out you use muscles you never knew you had! On the way back with an hour left to go it was no more fun, it turned into “I just cant wait to be off this thing”! That’s when its time to stop for a rest, don’t push yourself, that’s when bad things can happen. At this point I average 100+ miles a day and could probably jam out 200 miles with ease. Here is my tip if you’re going to travel on a 4 lane highway. I suggest you observe your side mirror for traffic approaching in the fast lane (or the idiot passing in the slow lane) and take count of the vehicles, then count them as they pass you. This will give you a better idea if someone is still in your blind spot cuz they slowed down and aren’t paying attention. This is applicable if the traffic isn’t too heavy and you get short lines of faster cars passing in groups. It allows you to concentrate on the road and you wont end up check you mirrior after every car passes. Other than that I suggest a full face helmet and a thick leather jacket, some gloves, and blue jean PANTS, no shorts ever. For me, steel toe work boots that lace higher than the ankle is mandatory. Have fun, enjoy, be safe, and welcome!
                        Last edited by WMarshy; 08-19-2009, 10:23 AM.
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I guess I would add to remember it is a 30 year old bike. I would strongly recommend giving it a good once over before any longer trips. Change all the fluids, inspect your breaks and tires etc. You can not trust that the PO has done this. Parts can take a little while to obtain for these fine machines. They are generally quite dependable provided the proper maintenance has been performed. When I bought mine she looked exceptional for her age. My eyes were opened when I began going over her. Wheel bearings, breaks, fluids etc. Don't trust the tires if they show any signs of weather cracking or checking. I think you get what I am saying.

Welcome Aboard

Deny
                          1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                          1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Thx

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I will try to look for a riding buddy here on base.
                            I did buy i a good leather jacket with all the armor (elbows, back,etc.) and a full face helmet and gloves. When i got the bike the PO threw in another full face helmet that was about a month old and a joe rocket military edition jacket with all the armor too, with gloves. Another fried gave me a a half helmet and a bike cover and last weekend i got a tank bag. So i am pretty much getting set up. I just need to get my tool + emergency kit and i should be good to go. I noticed though I am usually the only one except crotch rocket riders here in the area, that wears full gear. Alot just where t-shirt or long sleeve, jeans and a half helmet.
                            One thing i noticed which is really cool i think, is as soon as you ride a bike you kinda automatically are part of a familiy. Riding down the road a fellow biker never fails to render/give a wave. I think its awesome!
                            I'm still browsing through all the forum threads trying to soak up as much as I can. Thanks again for all the input!!!
                            JayGTI

Comment

Originally posted by JayGTI View Post
                              One thing i noticed which is really cool i think, is as soon as you ride a bike you kinda automatically are part of a familiy. Riding down the road a fellow biker never fails to render/give a wave.
                              That is a fact. Bikers tend to watch out for bikers. As you get to know this group, you'll see how very true that is. I will always remember how I felt when I first started riding last fall, and had another biker wave at me for the first time. I was grinning for an hour! It feels good to know there are friends out there even though you've never met them.
                              1980 XS850SG - Sold
                              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                              -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                              X