New Member in Nebraska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member in Nebraska

Okay my first XS1100, and get this my first bike. Sort of the the mid life thing but hey. So I got my bike on Sunday got my training wheels-learners permit on Monday. First good ride Monday night. What a GREAT time. Okay members please don't be afraid to tell my things about this bike or riding. I do know life is a learning process and I want to take care of my bike. 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special-I loved that show-21,000 miles, windjammer and rear bags. I am reading the forums and learning things about this bike. Thanks for your help in advance.
    There is a VERY fine line between "hobby" and "mental Illness"
    I don't own a classic I RIDE one

Brad Norton
    Kearney, Ne

Photojournalist
    Hobbies-Family
    rock and tree climbing, rescue ropes, firefighter, Boy Scouts leader, metal detecting and camping

age 49

1980 XS1100SG Special- My very first bike!!!

Welcome,If this is your first bike I would strongly recommend a good riding coarse.Also a trip to the library or Barns and Noble to pick up a book on motorcycling and safety.I think that would help you develop good riding habits and keep the rubber side down.

Terry
    1980 special (Phyllis)
    1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

Hey! Welcome to the fun! Glad to have you here!

We're a picture loving bunch here... so we'd love to see you're "new" MNS!

Those are cool bikes.

If this is indeed your first, most here will recommend a MC safety course, if you haven't already had one.

A good tool kit and flat repair kit is essential.

Get either a Clymer's repair manual, or check out another member here who has a link to a free download of manuals for your bike (and a fellow MNS owner, I believe...) CatatonicBug.

I also recommend good riding gear! Helmet, gloves, boots, pants, jacket... cause road rash sucks! DAMHIK (Don't ask me how I know.)

(Also, we use a lot of short cut acronyms here... on the forums page, there's a thread...)

While these bikes aren't half as powerful as todays modern tech ones are... they are still plenty that can get away from you real fast if you're not careful. So take your time, take a safety course, get familiar w/ the bike... and ride safe! Not only do you have to be aware of the beast you've straddled, but moreso the others who are sharing the road as well! Most do not see you! Always ride with that in mind, and always leave yourself an "escape plan" if you can...

Congrats on the bike. If you haven't figured out how to post pics, you can send me a PM and I'll fill you in.

There's also a way for you to "edit" your signature... meaning add your bike's info so that it automatically puts it on your posts for you.
      Where you're at in the world, what bike you have, and a little of your biking experiences & mechanical abilities help us help you.

Hope this helps get you started!
      Ride Safe!

Regards,
      Bob
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Welcome aboard!! Always nice to see another MNS on the forum! As was mentioned, get a manual. You can download both versions from the link in my signature. While you're getting the manual, check out the "We are invisible" pamphlet as well. I second the riding course too. It may seem a bit pricey, but it's worth it to save your skin (and your bike!). Definitely invest in some decent gear (ATGATT - All the gear, all the time). You never know when some crazy texting teen in a cage will try to run you over (look for the thread about Ivan's bike rebuild ) - It may just be at the end of your block.

These are VERY powerful bikes, even to today's standards, so be very careful starting out. A quick blip on the throttle, and they can shoot right out from under you! At 600 lbs, you don't want to find yourself on the pavement with your bike on top of you! Take a few weeks of short runs on surface streets at low speeds before trying to open it up. My MNS was my first bike too, and I've learned to respect the majesty of these machines. Take a few hours and read through all the tech tips, even if you don't think you'll ever need the information. It will help you later.

You've definitely found the right place for any kind of information you might ever want to know about the XS11's, so feel free to ask away. This is a very friendly place, and though you might get some ribbing now and again, it's all in fun. We definitely like pictures! Get some posted soon, so we can drool over your new ride!
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Heh, I grew up in a little town about 100 miles west of Kearney. Arapahoe. Used to live in McCook, and North Platte. Marched in the Harvest of Harmony parade in GI every year in High School.

Had a lot of friends in Kearney. Not sure if any of them are still there. Some of the best times I can't ever remember having were in Kearney...

Many parties with the college girls at what is now UNK. hehe. Do they still have wanted pictures of me there in the post office?
          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Welcome. I'm another transplanted Nebraska Cornhusker! Originally from Wauneta, west of McCook on Hwy 6. Welcome to the site. I have the MNS model also and love it! Hey, Ivan---I knew there was something special about you!
            There are excellent resources on this site. Learn to use the threads--print the good stuff off, as it's sometimes hard to find them. I put them in a 3-ring binder, under the same breakdown as the schematics you can find and print under OEM diagrams. Kim
            '81 XS11 LH (MNS)

"On a scale of 1 to 10, I have an eleven!"

"Excess is easier to say than XS,"

Comment

Cam chain adjustment

First question.
              Should I do this since I just got the bike? I think I hear some chain noise at a little higher R.P.M. I will also post pictures with questions I don't know-I love macro photos and well lit photos-if u have questions about photos ask me I have worked as a photojournalist for 22 years professionally. Thanks
              What a group to get started with. I feel I have smart friends on here and havn't met anyone yet.

I grabbed the MC class schedule when I was at the Driver lic examiner office yesterday so I have that in mind.
              Not that it means anything for driving but I am on the fire department here and drive the tankers, grass rigs, engines and ladder trucks. WE have advanced driving classes there too. Alot of the same plan and cover and know your margin of safety-front, back and sides. Differences too-look through the curve-one funny sumetimes they don't see us with lights and sirens.

Thanks questions and pictures soon.

Brad Norton
              Kearney, Ne

Photojournalist
              Hobbies-Family
              rock and tree climbing, rescue ropes, firefighter, Boy Scouts leader, metal detecting and camping

age 49

Comment

Marched in the Harvest of Harmony parade in GI every year in High School.
                Is that like a gay parade? Is that why you weren't worried too much about the banjo music in Arkansas??

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

No, it was four and a half miles of f'n hell. In Arapahoe, being in band got you laid. The loosers weren't in band, all three of them. We sucked at football, so everyone got into band. Backward, I know. I saw more T&A on the buss going on band trips than guys that went to "The Tower" which was the famous strip club in Holdrege NE and for quite some time the only one between Denver and Lincoln.

As far as the banjo music, well, I wasn't worried since I am just not that sexy anymore. I knew you guys would go for something a little more appealing...

Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

In Arapahoe, being in band got you laid.
                    Same as Arkansas... especially if you play the banjo...

I saw more T&A on the buss going on band trips than guys that went to "The Tower"
                    Didn't seem to matter that there weren't any girls around on the bus though...

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I was in the band too.. Jr. and Sr. year, I was actually the Drum Major! I still have my mace. We had a similar parade in California, over in Norwalk. It was super hot, and we had full wool blue uniforms. I was thankful that the Drum Major's was the only white one. Our school sucked at football too, but no one seemed to care. Band members were mainly honors kids, and anyone who wasn't in other sports. No T&A in our band though. I guess we kept it a bit more under cover. We did have a whole rifle squad of gay guys though!
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Rocknroll90 View Post
                        Okay my first XS1100, and get this my first bike. Sort of the the mid life thing but hey. So I got my bike on Sunday got my training wheels-learners permit on Monday. First good ride Monday night. What a GREAT time. - - - -
                        Hi R'n'r90 and welcome,
                        First bike eh? Back in the early 1930s the Nazis were secretly developing aircraft engines by building the Auto-Union race car. Thing is, a car with 1930s style handling and a 1,000 HP engine will kill every experienced racecar driver that tries it. The answer was to get young men off the farm who had no previous conceptions of how a racecar should handle, they did quite well.
                        Same with you and an XS11.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I'll be rolling through Kearney tomorrow (8/19/09). Probably stop in Grand Is. or Lincoln for the night (I'm a truck driver).
                          Thur. night will be in IA or IL. I have a Fri am delivery in Holland, MI then down to Mt Sterling, IL for the weekend.
                          On my return trips to CA I usually stay at the Kearney rest area.
                          Maybe we can meet-up sometime.
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Welcome Aboard!!
                            I've lots of family in Nebraska. Never missed a Pheasant opener there for most of 25 years and many spring and fall prairie dog hunts as well.
                            Keep the rubber side down!

Deny
                            1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                            1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Trying for a photo

This bike was on sale here until Sunday

Brad Norton
                              Kearney, Ne

Photojournalist
                              Hobbies-Family

age 49

Comment

Working...
                              X