Tools and cheeze whiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools and cheeze whiz

I was on my way down to have a Pow Wow with Yahman and wouldn't you know the only time I leave home without a single wrench, my bike has a problem. Only a few blocks from home and luckily before I got on the freeway, cylinders 1 and 1 cut out and when I look down gas is p*ss*ing all over the place.

I shut it down quickly and get the old girl on the side of the road and up on the center stand. Sure enough the gas line had come off the 1-2 carb fuel intake. There I was with only a Leatherman tool. A cell phone call got my wife to bring me some tools but it was obvious that the fuel lines were shot. The strange thing is I put new cloth covered VW lines on it about a year and a half ago. Anyway a little trimming got the hoses to stay on well enough that I felt safe riding home.

We tossed the Vetter bags in the trunk of the cage with the tools and off we went. I dropped my XS11 off at home and we took off in the cage to get parts. 1I needed to pick up a new bulb socket for the cage and since the Chevy dealer was across the road from a NAPA, I figured I consolidate the trips and buy the new fuel hose there.

While I was at the NAPA, I asked about some dielectric grease. They had just gotten some in but it's in a can like cheese whiz. You push the nozzle to the side and out comes the grease, just like cheese whiz. Pretty cool don'tcha think?

Tools, never leave home without'em...

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

I hope napa's di-electric grease dispenser works better then the one I got at autozone, same setup except the third time I went to use it there was no propellant left in it so you press and nothing comes out. My solution was to cut the top off with my dremel, still have it sitting on my shelf, now about 1/2 full.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

I have heart issues,I only get to dream about cheese whiz.LOL
      1980 special (Phyllis)
      1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

I went on the South Beach diet a few months ago and processed foods like cheese Whiz are 100% out. I've found I've lost the taste for a lot of things I used to love.

I bought the dielectric grease in a cheese whiz can because the electronics store has been out of the stuff for a couple months now. Those tiny 3/4 ounce tubes get expensive fast. This was 3.5 ounces for 10 bucks. It's CRC brand and that should be the best. If the pressure fails, Ill cut open the can and pack the stuff in a wall paper syringe to dispense it.

Geezer

Comment

Try MCM,Union Electronics,Pac Parts,Encompass and Andrews Electronics.I think they all carry chemicals. Terry PS and I still like cheese whiz.
          Last edited by tw1980; 08-15-2009, 06:21 AM. Reason: sp
          1980 special (Phyllis)
          1196 10.5 to 1 kit,megacycle cams,shaved head,dynojet carb kit,ported intake and exhaust,mac 4 into 1 exhaust,drilled rotors,ss brake lines,pods,mikes xs green coils,iridium plugs,led lights,throttle lock,progressive shocks,oil cooler,ajustable cam gears,HD valve springs,Vmax tensioner mod

Comment

I bought my dialectric grease in a toothpaste style tube from my Yamaha dealer.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I normally buy a 5.5 ounce tube for about 15 bucks at Norvac Electronics here in Beaverton, OR. The problem is I've had a couple tubes on order for the last 3 months. Yes you can find it lots of places but not at this price...

Geezer

Comment

I have that same can, geez. I love it. Because I use that crap everywhere electrical things meet.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I bought that squit-cheese can of grease, only because it was the only one I saw on the shelf when I went looking. I had never used the stuff before (got it because of this site) and it works pretty well! It's a bit messy, as it comes out a little fast sometimes, but it's nice for squirting down into socket holes and small spots. No problem yet with a lack of propellant.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Grainger has it.
                    XS1100SF
                    XS1100F

Comment

Can any tech guy tell me, is there any real difference between dielectric grease and vaselene? (apart from that dielectric grease can't be bought baby-powder scented?) I recently bought my first ever tube of dielectric grease and it looks and feels just like the vaselene I've been daubing on battery terminals etc for the past 50 years.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ditto on having to cut the top off with the dremel!
                        Worked great for 6-8 uses then it was out of propellant.
                        Still got that can sitting on the shelf with a baggie over it.
                        Richard

Comment

Well i have heart problems too, but i'll eat cheese whiz. I'll bring some to Detroit lake if you like. Also, Napa does have the 4 or 5 ounce tube of dielectric grease. It was about 8 dollars a few years ago. Just don't get the Echlin brand, it costs a lot more. I worked for Napa for years. I'll gat a part number for you.
                          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                          A quick death and an easy one.
                          A pretty girl and an honest one.
                          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I believe vaseline is a conductor and di-electric grease is not .
                            XJ1100K
                            Avon rubber
                            MikesXS black coils
                            Iridium plugs w/ 1k caps
                            MikesXS front master
                            Paragon SS brake lines (unlinked)
                            Loud Horns (Stebel/Fiamm)
                            Progressive fork springs
                            CIBIE headlight reflector
                            YICS Eliminator

Comment

Ok folks. these are some Napa numbers. Actually they are Balkamp, but carried by Napa. 765-1124 is 3oz at about 5.29. 765-1827 is 3oz permatex brand under a Balkamp number at about 4.29. There is also 765-1190 1oz at 7.59. The Echlin is ML2 which is 3 OZ and costs about 29.49. Depending on the store, the number they stock may be different.
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                              1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                              A quick death and an easy one.
                              A pretty girl and an honest one.
                              A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Working...
                              X