Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it better to eat rotten meat than to starve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it better to eat rotten meat than to starve?

i know this is a hellaous question, but i will be ridiculed at the other forums, only my buds here won't past judgment.

do you actually get any nutrients from eating rancid meat or should it be avoided at all costs?
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Originally posted by mason79 View Post
    i know this is a hellaous question, but i will be ridiculed at the other forums, only my buds here won't past judgment.

do you actually get any nutrients from eating rancid meat or should it be avoided at all costs?
    well if you could keep it down you might get some nutrients from it...however more than likely it'll just make you sicker than a dog...negating any nutritional value...I would avoid eating anything rancid...why in God's name would you even consider such a thing??? Heck if you're short on money go to Mickey D's and get a couple dollar burgers jeez...
    Last edited by madmax-im; 08-14-2009, 04:58 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
      well if you could keep it down you might get some nutrients from it...however more than likely it'll just make you sicker than a dog...negating any nutritional value...I would avoid eating anything rancid...why in God's name would you even consider such a thing??? Heck if you're short on money go to Mickey D's and get a couple dollar burgers jeez...
      ha ha ha ha.... what if you cook the crap out of it? and what's in it that make you sick?
      Last edited by mason79; 08-14-2009, 05:02 PM.
      History
      85 Yamaha FJ 1100
      79 yamaha xs1100f
      03 honda cbr 600 f4
      91 yamaha fzr 600
      84 yamaha fj 1100
      82 yamaha seca 750
      87 yamaha fazer
      86 yamaha maxim x
      82 yamaha vision
      78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Originally posted by mason79 View Post
        ha ha ha ha.... what if you cook the crap out of it? and what's in it that make you sick?
        cook the crap out of it? I wouldnt even try...so what the he!! have you been smokin'? I dunno what's in it...ecol-i...pefringens....nasty $h!+ ,,why would you bother??? You on crack???
        1980 XS650G Special-Two
        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
          cook the crap out of it? I wouldnt even try...so what the he!! have you been smokin'? I dunno what's in it...ecol-i...pefringens....nasty $h!+ ,,why would you bother??? You on crack???
          i'm not saying i am doing it, this is a hypothetical....
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I've heard that the reason the French invented such heavy sauces was to cover the taste of meat that was going bad, or had already gone bad. No proof of this tho.
            Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
            '07 FJR1300

Comment

As long as the meat is fully cooked, e-coli will be killed. However, I don't know what other things might survive the heat. I would say that if I were lost out in the wilderness, and ran across some carion and had no other food source, I would rather cook and eat the meat than starve. Heck, I've seen Bear Grylls do it!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

I found this for you mason... certainly made for some rather interesting reading...

ChefTalk
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

Wow Kat Thanks for that info...I think...LOL I learned sumthin' new today...not that I am gonna try any...and that guy Bear Gryllis he always grosses me out...and also amazes me as to what one could do in a true survival situation.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You would be better off eating wild plants. Most of the year you can find fresh edible plants growing almost everywhere. There's plenty of books on the subject if you care to look for them...

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

You're welcome, Ben

I'm with Geezer... I think I'd stick with the plants...

Probably a good idea to pay careful attention to the one post in that thread about the heat resistant spores... some bacteria as well as some parasites that can be potentially harmful, form what is basically a heat resistant shield...
                      You could char the food beyond it being edible or nutritious before these would be affected...
                      81 SH Something Special
                      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                      80 LG Black Magic
                      78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                      For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
                        You're welcome, Ben

I'm with Geezer... I think I'd stick with the plants...

Probably a good idea to pay careful attention to the one post in that thread about the heat resistant spores... some bacteria as well as some parasites that can be potentially harmful, form what is basically a heat resistant shield...
                        You could char the food beyond it being edible or nutritious before these would be affected...
                        Yeah I'm in the plants are better for ya category too>>> But think about it...if you are in a true survival situation...say in some environment where edible plants are few and far between...like in the coldest climes or in the desolate deserts...you wouldn't have too many choices...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

True... It's definitely a LOT easier to sit here in the comfort of my home after a decent meal and say I would NEVER eat certain things... but some of my Army buddies who went through survival training convinced me that in certain situations... NEVER becomes very subjective...

Still not sure about some of the things that Bear eats though... I might go ahead and choose the alternative if my only choice on the menu is a big, juicy grubworm...
                          81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                          80 LG Black Magic
                          78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                          For those on FB

Comment

It also depends on how resourceful you are. I know that will the stuff I carry in my pockets, I have the means to make a weapon that can be used to bring down small animals.

Geezer
                            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
                              I found this for you mason... certainly made for some rather interesting reading...

ChefTalk
                              thanks kat that was the answer i was looking for...

it was not that unusual to eat that stuff before ice and refrigeration....

watch les strouds nibble on stuff as survivorman, is not my idea of a meal....

i could prolly eat the wrong things and die....
                              History
                              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                              79 yamaha xs1100f
                              03 honda cbr 600 f4
                              91 yamaha fzr 600
                              84 yamaha fj 1100
                              82 yamaha seca 750
                              87 yamaha fazer
                              86 yamaha maxim x
                              82 yamaha vision
                              78 yamaha rd 400