New member in Illinois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member in Illinois

I dont know if this is the appropriate place for introductions but here goes. I figure i should at least say hi before i send a barrage of questions at the experts here.

I am the proud owner of an 82 XS1100 Maxim, picked it up yesterday. The PO told me it was an XJ but the title and bikez.com say otherwise, maybe you guys can clarify what to look for to identify my bike. She is purple and ugly right now but with a little elbow grease and some paint i think she will shine just fine. It has ALOT more power than my old bike (86 Kawasaki 454LTD) and rides alot smoother.

Well that about sums up the important stuff. Ride safe.

Welcome to XS 11! What part of Il are you from? I am hosting a ride next weekend the 22nd in northern Il. And please Post pics! Everyone likes toseea good bike even if you think its ugly in purple.
    68 Honda Cl350 (sold)
    76 Honda Cb 400 super sport
    79 special (skull bike)
    79 special (parts bike w/title)
    79 special
    80 standard full dress (Sat 24 years)
    81 special (parts for now trying to get the title)
    81 kaw 750 ltd (sold to brother-in-law)
    80 650 maxim (fixing for wife)
    81 650 maxim
    81 Xs 650 special ( No title found in a barn)
    88 Zx 600r (Sold)
    01 Gz 250

Comment

Welcome aboard!

Maybe this will help identifying your ride...

Model Identification

If you don't have a place to upload your pics...
      Many of us use Photobucket and then post them here...
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Apparently it is a 1982 XJ1100J. The title says XS though, is that common?

Im 45 mins south of Chicago and ill shoot some pics of the bike once i have it cleaned up. Its been in storage and is horrid right now, i wouldn't do her justice.

Thanks for the help, now on to diagnose the oil in the airbox.....

Comment

Originally posted by ian1320 View Post

Im 45 mins south of Chicago and ill shoot some pics of the bike once i have it cleaned up. Its been in storage and is horrid right now, i wouldn't do her justice.

great place here they won't let you down, only if you loose it.
          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Welcome aboard!! Pictures are never a bad thing (as long as they are of your bike )! It's not too uncommon for titles to be erroneous, as the people doing the paperwork often have no idea what a motorcycle looks like up close. What's important is that YOU know what you have, and can ask the right questions related to your model. Not to point you away from this site at all, but there is another one called xjbikes.com that may be of some assistance to you as well.

There are several members in the Chicagoland area. There is a thread about a Chicago ride happening this weekend, I believe. Might chime in there and identify some locals. Folks here will often be willing to lend a hand if you're in a pickle.

Oil in the airbox may just be leftovers from the air filter. Depending on what kind of filter element you have, you need to oil the element to make it grab the dirt particles as the air passes through it. I know when I oild mine, I over-did it and had oil dripping from the airbox for a few weeks. Try just squeezing it out of the air filter and wiping up the residue, and you should be fine.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Welcome to CH.11 if your bike looks like this then its an XJ1100 Maxim also if along the bottom of your engine it has "YICS" then its an '82 XJ...like mine..
              1980 XS650G Special-Two
              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Oil in the airbox

Just FIY sometimes people check the oil and fill it to the sight glass while on the side stand. It should show in the sight window only on the centerstand. Too much oil and it blows out and into the airbox as that is where the crankcase breather goes....
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                  Welcome to CH.11 if your bike looks like this then its an XJ1100 Maxim also if along the bottom of your engine it has "YICS" then its an '82 XJ...like mine..
                  My bike looks exactly like yours and has the YICS on the lower engine. The chart listed above also helped me identify my bike as a true XJ1100J.

Thanks so much for the help, all get pics up as soon as i get it clean enough.

Comment

- - - Thanks so much for the help, all get pics up as soon as i get it clean enough.
                    Hi Ian and welcome,
                    no, no, no! You should take "before" pics so folks can see how much work you did to get the bike all nice looking again.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                      Hi Ian and welcome,
                      no, no, no! You should take "before" pics so folks can see how much work you did to get the bike all nice looking again.
                      Agreed! We like to see how well you do at the clean-up process! It also makes for great bragging rights down the road when you can say, "Look what I did!"
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                      -H. Ford

Comment

Welcome

Welcome to the club. This is the place to find out about your new/old ride and it's care and feeding. An unbelievable amount of knowledge is here as well as a great bunch of folks willing to help out!

Again Welcome

Deny
                        1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                        1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Working...
                        X