top speed 114mph, What the F&*(?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deny,

My theory is that when the slides top out and it is running solely on the main jets is when the mileage goes to pot. I wonder if stiffer slide springs would help this. Unfortunately with my nekkid scoot and my large frontal area, I spend a lot of time with the load high enough to keep the slides up all the way.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Heavier slide springs??
      i'm not sure if your joking or not.....

but i did streach the slide springs an extra 5mm from "stock"...
      it had to do with a post i saw when i first started looking on here...

By the way... DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

all that does for you is throw you over the handle bars when you let off the throttle.

but i wonder why it runs out of HP... ??
      an 1100 should have the ponies to run 140...?
      1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
      1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Originally posted by MindWebs View Post
        Heavier slide springs??
        i'm not sure if your joking or not.....

but i did streach the slide springs an extra 5mm from "stock"...
        it had to do with a post i saw when i first started looking on here...

By the way... DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

all that does for you is throw you over the handle bars when you let off the throttle.

but i wonder why it runs out of HP... ??
        an 1100 should have the ponies to run 140...?
        Funny, I stretched min out about an extra inch and found no such problem. It did help my low end response in some amount though. So if I am not supposed to do it, you're way too late in telling me.

I suspect if you have too much engine braking, it has little to do with your slide springs. If the throttle plates are closed, then it really doesn't matter what your slides are doing, since the restriction comes from the throttle plate and not the slide.

As far as 140, yeah they will do it. The biggest problem I have seen is people shifting into fifth at 40 and thinking it will still pull all the way through. You really have to keep the revs up around 4-5k on these engines to hit the curve. They aren't long stroke v-twins with three torque numbers three times higher than their hp number.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
          Funny, I stretched min out about an extra inch and found no such problem. It did help my low end response in some amount though. So if I am not supposed to do it, you're way too late in telling me.

I suspect if you have too much engine braking, it has little to do with your slide springs. If the throttle plates are closed, then it really doesn't matter what your slides are doing, since the restriction comes from the throttle plate and not the slide.

As far as 140, yeah they will do it. The biggest problem I have seen is people shifting into fifth at 40 and thinking it will still pull all the way through. You really have to keep the revs up around 4-5k on these engines to hit the curve. They aren't long stroke v-twins with three torque numbers three times higher than their hp number.
          While I haven't touched my carbs (they are working so well that it's the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" area of endevour) and I haven't tried a top end run yet (and might never do), I find that mine will pull HARD from about 2k on up, and doesn't seem to have any flat spots. It will definetely get up to 4 and 5k pretty quick from 2k in 5th, so I'm thinking things are pretty dialed in at this point. I'm finding myself in love with this machine more and more the longer I ride it, and while it's had the small issue here and there, overall it's been an absolute joy to own and ride (of course isn't that why we are here?). Of course SWMBO doesn't quite see it that way, so I have to keep appeasing there, but man these things run hard, especially of you get a push .

And yes, while I like the look of the naked bikes, having ridden both naked and faired bikes you won't catch me doing any significant riding on a naked bike if I have any choice in the matter, as much like CB I = parachute without a fairing, and that just don't work very well on these things.
          Last edited by cywelchjr; 08-28-2009, 05:11 PM.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
          X