Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinion article on motorcycle safety in local paper

http://www.wetaskiwintimes.com/Artic...aspx?e=1677734

Please take a look at it and post back what you think of it.

I personally have written to complain about the article and point our some blantant errors. I have even included a link to the "We are invisible" pdf that one of you fine people have made up.
    K. Johnson
    -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
    triple clean and boots
    -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
    replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
    -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
    $500 including new rear tire.

Poorly written article, IMO. They need to proofread before they publish.

Besides that, the only error I see in their thoughts is in the last part where they say it is up to the responsible riders to teach the irresponsible ones. The whole point of riding is to be an individual, and not have to listen to others while on the road. I think anyone who rides is fully aware of the possible outcome if they disobey the traffic laws. No need for other riders to act like "mother hens" and drill it into them.

There are unsafe cage drivers too, and as Ivan can attest, it's often the responsibility of the cage driver when a bike goes down. However, we ARE invisible, and have to ride with that in mind. We are responsible for our own safety, but we are NOT responsible for the safety of the crazy riders out there who choose to ignore Newton's Laws.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Unprofessional

Sure looks like this came from a small town newspaper desperately pandering to it's demographic. Rick
      I May Be Crazy, But I Have A Good Time.

Northern Gypsy - 2010 Kawasaki Concours 14 ABS - Daily rider

Comment

no mention of how many died in 4 wheeled or bigger..... bet the stats are a lot higher
        '81 XS1100R
        4-2-1 exhaust Tranzac (Current)
        Everything else stock (as far as I know)
        Previous:
        Honda scrambler horse( had to start somewhere)
        Yamaha DT175
        Yamaha XT250
        Yamaha TT500
        Suzuki DR250
        Yamaha XVS1100
        Honda 750/4 K (basket case, current)

Comment

So in that frame of mind, if you drive a car, it is your responsibility to crack down on the speeders personally because the few reckless ones give the other drivers a bad name.

It seems that people would think about what they're saying BEFORE it goes into print so you don't look like such an idiot. I don't have the stats, so I may be just passing on B/S, but I have heard many times that accidents involving car/bike, it's the inattentiveness of the cager that's at fault, not the rare crothc rocket zipping by at nearly 200mph. Darwin usually takes care of those people in a one-on-one basis. While I don't ride in peoples' blind spots, that term is B/S in itself. If you'd do an actual head-check instead of looking in a mirror (Which is still better than a lot do) before lane changes, there are no "Blind" spots... it's simply lazy people not looking.

While there are very aggressive riders... me being one of them... I'm also very aware of my surroundings. I EXPECT people to be idiots (I'm proven right over and over) and ride accordingly.. not trusting anybody else.

It seems the local government realizes what the problem is by placing the signs up for CAGES to watch for motorcyclists, but a speeding bike is too good of a tax collection for authorities to pass up.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

According to THIS you are more likely to die in a car accident (1 in 18,585) than a motorcycle accident (1 in 99,568).

I have seen many studies that state that statistically, motorcyclists are better drivers. I guess the threat of loosing your life keeps you more aware.

Oh, and FWIW, I tried texting on my scoot once. Not only was it stupid, it was damn near impossible to do. Let alone eating a cheeseburger,smoking, putting on makeup and texting all while speeding through a school zone on black ice.

That article basically blames me for getting hurt. Sorry. Not true, I was doing everything possible to not get hurt. It wasn't the motorcycle that caused the accident.
            Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
              I have seen many studies that state that statistically, motorcyclists are better drivers. I guess the threat of loosing your life keeps you more aware.
              I would have to agree with those studies. I have noticed it in myself that I am a lot more attentive while driving my cage than I was before I started riding. I find myself doing a "head check" a lot more often than I used to, simply out of habit, since I ride a lot more than I drive these days.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

The writer sounds like one of the minions we had in the late '70s. You all know, 85 MPH Speedometers in all vehicles, 55 MPH speed limits, etc.
                They probably have not been on a bicycle in many years, and NEVER on a motorcycle. The part that REALLY got to me was them telling the drivers to NOT watch out for motorcycles. If ONE person who does that kills a motorcycle rider, the author should be charged with accessory to murder.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have heard many times that accidents involving car/bike, it's the inattentiveness of the cager that's at fault
                  OK, so who hasn't had a cage pull out in front of them? I think it's a testament to the skill and caution of bike riders that more of us don't go down. My all time favorite is the cager that looks you right in the eye, and then pulls in front of you anyway. And they all say the same thing after they've done the nasty - "I never saw him." By placing the onus on riders it can only serve to make things worse. You can bet the guy who wrote the article doesn't commute on two wheels.
                  I think I have a loose screw behind the handlebars.

'79 XS11 Standard, Jardine 4/1, Dyna DC1-1 Coils, 145 mains, 45 pilots, plastic floats - 25.7mm, XV920 fuel valves, inline fuel filters, speed bleeders, Mikes XS pods, spade-type fuse block, fork brace, progressive fork springs/shocks, manual petcocks, 750 FD, Venture cam chain tensioner, SS brake lines

Comment

If you ride, your life is YOUR responsibility

What the hell difference does it make whose fault it was, when you are DEAD?

Seriously, the only party concerned with fault is the insurance company.

If you take the whole "We are invisible" thing to heart, then you wont allow yourself to be in a position where you get mowed down.

Friend of mine got knocked off the road last year because a semi changed lanes into him. Broken leg, collar bone, wrist, ribs. He was wearing his gear.

My second thought, after telling him I was glad he was still on the sunny side of the dirt, was "Why were you riding in that space-time?". Sure, he had every right to be there. But how did that feel when he was tumbling along the shoulder, all wadded up in his Roadking? I'm sure he had nice smug smile on his face, knowing he was in the right.

The obligatory "Oh, My Bad" at the scene ain't gonna make anybody rise up and walk.

Ride like they are trying to kill you. Because they are. If you are going to bet your life that all the other people on the road are going to always do the right thing, then you will lose eventually.

$.02
                    XS1100SF
                    XS1100F

Comment

Yes the article is from a small town paper. A small town with a large demographic of riders. We haven't had any accidents involving motorcycles here that I am aware of, just tons of close calls. Close calls that involve the cager driving away without even recognising you, your horn or your finger.

I am a technology lover, but I agree that when behind the wheel, it should be all attention on the road. Technology is aiding in the deaths of motorcyclists.
                      K. Johnson
                      -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
                      triple clean and boots
                      -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
                      replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
                      -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
                      $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

Such Language!

I've read the article. (Thanks!)

In this article the writer uses the written language to attack/blame motorcyclists. The intent is not to inform, enlighten, advise or engage the readers in a genuine discussion of "safety".

Written attacks are like verbal attacks. The actual attack is not in the words used but rather in the subtext and "pre-suppositions" included in the message which any natural speaker of the language would just "know". For example, "Even John could get an A in that class." The two presuppositions here are that John is no great shakes as a student and that the class isn't difficult. In verbal self defense the trick is to not respond to the bait which is what the attacker wants, but rather respond to the "presuppositions."

The writer of the article is using "phoney leveler/blamer" mode to launch this attack. Kinda important to know this as the textbook says to know you're under attack, what kind of attack it is, what the correct response is, and how to follow through.

" I find it very interesting that one group of licensed drivers or another... repeatedly attempts to blame another group of drivers for the accidents/fatalities of the open road. The open road here in the USA is clearly defined as open to all individuals with all manner of vehicles and their various designs/axle counts/number of wheels. It is clear that in each and every instance where mishaps occur that the responsibility for the unfortunate event, where mechanical failure is ruled out as cause, that the individual in control of the vehicle made a decision or performed a maneuver which led to the disaster. Of course these individuals who exercise poor judgement and/or poor driving skills apparently own or operate all manner of locomotion on the open road according to the complete road accident statistics. These drivers comprise their very own group and the author of the article would have served the public at large more completely if the correct group was admonished. Yet the author chose to single out motorcyclists for blame. Interesting example of yellow journalism straight from the textbook. Embarrassing and shameful, but interesting to me."

Comment

Working...
                        X