No announcement yet.

Saftey Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn!! I'm sorry to hear about your rock-n-roll experience, but glad your alive and not too damaged I have been wondering how you and Kurt have been doing as I haven't been around much myself lately.
    I saw an XS on CL a week ar two ago that I thought was yours and thought maybe you were getting out. Glad to hear I thought wrong. I was looking forward to another rally at your place. I enjoyed the one in 08 and was looking forward to being able to do it again.
    I hope you heal quick and have no lasting pains. Enjoy the meds if you can
    1979XS100SF
    2007 Dyna wide glide
    Too many dodge trucks to list!

Comment

Denny, what were you wearing as far as pants? I've been contemplating some "draggin' jeans"-type pants as I ride daily, but not with the, uh, panache that you and others are able to muster. Still, gravity in my area is about the same as in Montana.
      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Denny, what were you wearing as far as pants?
        I wear mesh gear by FieldSheer. This is two piece (jacket & pants) setup that has full padding shins to shoulders. I like this because it is the base of my safety wear. I layer up in nylon over clothing as the weather gets colder or wet. I would have had serious hip and knee abrasions and possibly fracture if I had not been wearing this gear.
        DZ
        Vyger, 'F'
        "The Special", 'SF'
        '08 FJR1300

Comment

My Helmet

On further inspection I discovered my Shoe X-Eleven help suffered a significant crack along the opposite side of the impact point. This helmet is obviously junk and I am completely satisfied with its sacrifice. I hit very hard on my shoulder and head. The helmet has a pavement pattern stamped into it where I landed and a bunch of scratches all along the right side where I slide on my helmet. I am already saving up to buy a new one. Money well spent IMHO.
          DZ
          Vyger, 'F'
          "The Special", 'SF'
          '08 FJR1300

Comment

DennyZ...
            I'm with ya on the FieldSheer pants! Love mine. Hate you had to be the guniea pig and test 'em out... but glad to know they work!

I've also got the full set of FieldSheer rain gear. I discovered they're also great as a top layer during the winter! They cut the cold great! Stayed nice & toasty in the Co. mountains back in June...

Sorry to hear your helmet's toast, but thank goodness you had it on!
            Helmets are replaceable, heads aren't!
            Hope you're doing better, and your bike's on the road to recovery.
            Take care & Ride Safe!
            Bob
            '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
            "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Just wanted to "Chime" in here and say "thanks" for this thread. Although I don't have any "Mesh". I do wear a "Brooks" riding Leather and heavy leather boots when I ride.

I've been wondering about something lighter with protection,for the hot days when I just don't ride because it's too hot to wear leather. It sounds like the kevlar mesh is the way to go.

I was going to my dad's house the other day to help get his Venture put back together. He asked if I was riding the bike and I told him "NO WAY! It's way too hot". It was in the high 80's to low 90's and he lives about 45 miles away. He laughed and asked if I was a "Pansy" rider. I told him "I choose to wear leather when I ride" He laughed again and said "that leather won't prevent a broken arm". I told him "better a broken arm that will stop hurting after a few days than road rash that hurts for much longer. And scars that I would probably carry the rest of my life".

He has rode for almost 50 years and I can only remember him wearing his leather when it was chilly or he was riding at night.

He's been lucky. He has never had to lay a bike down on the pavement. Although last year he ended up in an un-planted cornfield, do to gravel on the road in a blind curve. The bike never went down till it got stuck in the mud and stopped him.

He hasn't rode at all this season. I think the cornfield shook him up a bit and I know he won't ride on the sunny days wearing leather. He might just wear the kevlar if it comes in short sleeves. LOL Doubt it!!

On my way there, I must have seen over 30 bikes and the only protection I saw were helmets. Even small children riding on the back with only helmets.
              And they are mandatory here in Michigan.

I'll bet the first time they are hit with a nice size bug at 70mph, they won't wanna ride with mom or dad anymore.

I'm going to check into the mesh for me and the wife.
              Thanks Again
              Rob
              82 XJ1100
              Stock..With a few cosmetic changes.
              Current Project..Dad's 81 1100 Special

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww272/RiderXJ/

Comment

It is regularly over 100 here in the central valley and I always wear my Joe Rocket Santa Fe mesh jacket. In the winter I zip in the liner and add a nylon jacket over that to stay warm. It is the only way to go in the summer.
                "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
                X