Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Laser Printer All-in-one

Hey Folks,

I have an HP 3055 all in one laser printer/copier/ scanner. It stopped working as a scanner due to program issue son my PC. So I uninstalled through the add/remove program on my Windows XP ME. Tried to reinstall and the program says there is a previous version uninstall. Bombs out on reinstall.

I have been through removing all HP files from Windows/system32/drvstore directory, removed all HP INF files from Windows. Run CrapCleaner to include registry cleaner. Hp told me about a "scrubber" file on the CD to remove old files, ran that and still same result. They even emailed the latest version of the install software and no improvement. Here is the sequence of attempting to install their software:

When I run the autorun program it comes up and goes through "Checking the
    System" then it moves to "Installing" and I get a pop-up that tells me "Software Has Already Been Successfully Installed". When it comes to the screen saying it was successfully installed it gives me an option of adding a device or uninstalling. I chose uninstall. This bring sup a sreen that says "Important Uninstall Information" With a note to "Please review the uninstall information below before continuing" and below it states "No supported devices are installed on this system, but there are still files that need to be removed. Please click Continue to remove these files (they are no longer needed)." This brings up a screen that says "Cleanup Progress", "Removing unnecessary components" and it shows current
    progress bar and overall progress bar. It starts going through the process and just like everytime I tried this for four months now it gets to step 9/13 61% in the overall progress bar with the current progress bar indicating "Digital Still Camera" at which point I get the pop up telling me the "Install Consumer Experience Uninstaller has encountered a
    problem and needs to close." And ask me to send a report. After which the
    program ends and closes out.

Seems to me I need to find whatever files it is seeing to tell it there is a previous version installed and remove those so it just installs from scratch like I never had it on before.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

You could try and download the Microsoft Cleanup Utility and run it.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

I had to set my computer back to an older date recently and had to reload the virus scan again. It was doing something similar to what you are saying. I made sure and manually went in to my temporary files under my user name as well as the administrator and deleted all the files regarding that product. Also maually went into the program files and deleted those. Then I had to go into my registry editor and go through there and delete the files in there. You can do that by going to start/run/ and type in regedit. It may take some time.. but I finally got it to work by doing this.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If you have restore points turned on, and have a restore point prior to when you originally started having problems, try to do a system resore. If it doesn't work, just undo it.
        Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
        '82 XJ1100
        '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

You can also just install the "new" device. Sometimes it will overwrite older files. The other option is the junk the Sony POS. I've not had ANY luck with Sony computers in the past. They do NOT do a clean install of the OS, and almost ALL of the Vio machines I've had to try and fix are because of this. The bad part is the "repair" disk they give you has the same problems, so doing a restore just puts the problem back in.
          You can try and find an XP OS disk, and use it to repair the OS.
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

With many HP printers you have to know what files it installed and go in and manually delete them before you can reinstall. If it's an older printer, HP won't give you any support and you will have to figure out the files on your own.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Firstly, I have never had anything but trouble with HP hardware. Anything I have ever owned from HP seems like it is on a timer and when a certain date passes, it just stops working, and nothing will fix it.

As far as the uninstall not working well, I always use Driver Cleaner 3 (think that is the right number). It searches for all those left over files and such that lazy programmers don't include in their uninstal scripts. Try it and see if it will work. FWIW, I always use it when upgrading a video driver. It saves a lot of headaches.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I'm using an old HP lazerjet 4 plus that I got for free when someone I know was going to toss it. I put about $125 in new parts in it and I've been using it for about 4 years without a lick of trouble. I'm worried the fuser will pop one of these days when I have a butt load of work to do so I bought my wife a deskjet and I could use it in an emergency.

I've found over the years the professional line of HP stuff is a whole world better than their consumer grade stuff.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Quart of petrol and a match

Comment

Try this:

Google "Revo Ininstaller." I had some obnoctious programs that would not go away and finally use Revo and it worked like a charm. (Of course that what everyone says). Oh, It's FREE!!! Is that bad??
                    Jack
                    J.D."Jack" Smith
                    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                    1978E straight job
                    "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Thought we had it on a couple of these like the Revo Uninstaller. But still just doing the same old crap. HP replied to tell me to do the uninstalls, then do a "Clean Reboot" and try to install. Tried all their stuff and STILL no joy in mudville. Got another message in to them. IT has soemthing to do with the software for the Digital Still Camera pice of their program. That is where it locks up trying to uninstall everytime.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                      X