Who's got the dirtiest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's got the dirtiest...

... set of carbs you've ever seen? I was diggin around last week and saw the carbs to my Dad's '78E sitting over in the corner so I dug them out and took the bowl off. They have been sitting around for 12 years or longer and this is what I found.

Talk about the worst smell ever! Ive never smelled anything that caustic in my life, made paint thinner seem like nail polish remover. I tried to take the main jet off and it snapped right off... Think their is any help for them at this point, seafoam bath? Anyone seen anything worse than these, got a picture?? ...no wonder it didnt run right lol.
    Last edited by WMarshy; 08-04-2009, 12:33 PM.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

it ran....?
    Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

That would be a good candidate for a soda blaster.
      http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-o.../soda_blaster/

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Great Tip!!

Geezer,
        That's a great tip and a good solution to our common problems about getting our bikes clean and ready for whatever.
        Thanks
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Soak the whole carby .(without bowls or slides if there free) in carb cleaner before attempting to remove any jets, rinse well then soak in pb blaster then
          with a perfect fitting screwdriver slowly remove the jets,you might need to work the jet back and forth(like using a tap and die) and hopefully should make life a little easier. The butterfly seals will need replacing also, looks like a fun project.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
            That would be a good candidate for a soda blaster.
            http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-o.../soda_blaster/

Geezer
            Wow!! That's incredible!! The carbs that guy cleaned look brand new after that! Even if it only works on the outer stuff, that is a really neat tool. I think I'm gonna link to that guy's page on my website now.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

That is a sweet little trick... Think it would work good with some nice dry sand? Home made sand blaster... hhmmm
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                That is a sweet little trick... Think it would work good with some nice dry sand? Home made sand blaster... hhmmm
                Yeah, it would work, but then you have a mess of sand to clean up. Unless you have a blasting cabinet. The nice thing about using Soda is that you can just water-wash the debris away and no one cares! The dust that gets on your clothes comes out in the laundry, and you are left smelling fresh and clean!
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  Yeah, it would work, but then you have a mess of sand to clean up. Unless you have a blasting cabinet. The nice thing about using Soda is that you can just water-wash the debris away and no one cares! The dust that gets on your clothes comes out in the laundry, and you are left smelling fresh and clean!

You also come out white as a ghost until you shower...

Geezer

Comment

LOL good point, I was thinking out in the driveway or somethin... I wonder what other media you could use in this thing. Could probably buy a bag of the real media and use that too, although you would be losing a lot of it without an enclosure it still might be cheaper than taking a part to get it blasted... maybe…
                    '79 XS11 F
                    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                    Stock, no title.

Comment

I was thinking about using it with crushed walnut shells to clean the cases on my bike. I'm planing to degrease the engine really well, plug off all the air intakes then blast away. A garden hose will wash away the remains.

Be sure and use a respirator mask when doing any open air media blasting. The 15 bucks you spend on one will be more than worth the damage you don't do to your lungs...

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                        I was thinking about using it with crushed walnut shells to clean the cases on my bike. I'm planing to degrease the engine really well, plug off all the air intakes then blast away. A garden hose will wash away the remains.
                        I use crushed walnut shells under my macaw, to collect the massive mess he makes. It comes in a 20lb bag for $11 or so. It might work, but the grains are rather large. I wonder how well it would do. Only problem would be the mess afterward, as they don't exactly "wash away" like soda would. It would make just as much mess as sand! Ecologically friendly, I suppose, but it still doesn't dissolve.

Sugar might be an option though! Except it would make everything sticky afterward.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

I figured with walnut shell, I'd wash out out the driveway and into the storm drain since it wouldn't hurt anything. You can also buy more coarse grain soda. I have a link somewhere to for it but you can find it with a Google search.

I also use a fine ground walnut shell media in my cartridge case tumbler. It's available but depending on the source, it can be expensive. I'm looking to buy a small bast cabinet soon and I will probably only use it with walnut shell and soda.

Tony

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                          I use crushed walnut shells under my macaw, to collect the massive mess he makes. It comes in a 20lb bag for $11 or so. It might work, but the grains are rather large. I wonder how well it would do. Only problem would be the mess afterward, as they don't exactly "wash away" like soda would. It would make just as much mess as sand! Ecologically friendly, I suppose, but it still doesn't dissolve.

Sugar might be an option though! Except it would make everything sticky afterward.

Comment

Working...
                          X