Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here we go again...

Just picked up another one....
    An '81 special, no seat or side covers, '79 carbs, needs headlight ring and brackets, right rear signal light lens, rusty forks, disassembled airbox, needs tires, tank needs to be painted...not rusty inside...
    On the positive side, it started, and after it warmed up I did a compression check which yielded 150 psi on all four, the PO went throught the electrical system and cleaned/replaced everything that needed attention, new front MC, brakes don't stick, has a spade fuse block (not TC's), might be too big..sticks out too far, good frame.... and the best part....drum roll, please....$125.00
    I know, I know..... pictures will be forthcoming.
    This is a 'for later' project,
    I'm re-doing my '80G right now. It's down to the frame, engine, and rear end. Touching up the frame, painting the engine, clearcoated the forks, top of the triple tree and the handle bar clamp, re-doing the rims and installing drilled front rotors. It's getting a new black handlebar and small hard bags with custom mount, original luggage rack with sliding backrest, SOFCA and oil cooler, the TC fuse block, FIAM horns, and a Jardine SS 4X2 side cut exhaust. Pics will be here when it's finished.... or maybe earlier.
    And, btw, the special is going to have to wait until I do the XJ up right.
    Da#n, that was long.....sorry.
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Way to go Cobia! Man... $125 for a running bike... cool.
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

I haven't decided what to do with it yet. Been wanting to do a Mad Max kind of thing, but resale value may suffer. I'd like a bada$$ cafe racer ride. Trouble with those is that if you hook up while on the bar circuit, you have nowhere to saddle up the honey!! Maybe she'll have Royce or an MB to make up for that...LOL!!! Big time wishful thinking, although in this neighborhood... yeah, yeah, wishful thinking.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Cripes, sounds Like almost everything is happening in K.C. or back east, sans the recent Washington score....
        RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Yeah, that K.C. group keeps growing by leaps and bounds. But you're closer to our parts dealer extraordinare..... Andreas.
          You'll get tired of the earthquakes and fires pretty soon and move east!!!
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
            I'll take earthquakes over tornadoes and hail storms any day!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

We don't get tornadoes or hail storms in FL very often at all....
              ONLY HURRICANES!!!!
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

We get a BIG quake about every 100 years. You get BIG storms at LEAST once a year. I LIKE living on the proper coast, except for needing a wetsuit to keep warm in the water.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

If you watch the weather channel they always sow the weather map of California and give you the temp in San Francisco. 79Deg. 82deg. Over here in the valley it'll be a hundered a two!

I'm not squawking because it is in the low 80's right now and the ground isn't moving.

I've got inlaws in So Cal That got burnt out 7 years ago and nearly got hit again last year. Seven years ago they had 45 minutes notice to get out, that is how fast it was burning. They left as the fire was burning over the hill.
                  RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                    Yeah, that K.C. group keeps growing by leaps and bounds. But you're closer to our parts dealer extraordinare..... Andreas.
                    Haven't had much fire action around here, and really haven't had any earthquake action that was any more vigorous here than a very mild shaking if you happened to be sitting very still (or watching the aquarium like I was). It may get hot here during parts of the summer, but overall it's not bad, with the exception of about 20 days of rain harder than I was willing to ride in on a workday, I rode all year. And with a little rain gear I plan on riding all this year as well. Just gotta fix the crap plug wires on brutus, trying to decide if I'm going to do the wire replacement procedure for the stock coils or replace the coils. I'm leaning towards the new coils from MikesXS, but I may just get new wire and do the replacement thing since they seem to be working just fine except for when they get really wet.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                    X