Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up a free 81 XS1100!

Hi,

New to the site. I answered a craigslist add the other day for a free bike. The son is going in the military and the mother wanted the bike gone. My dad had a fully faired XS1100 when I was a kid so I replied as soon as I saw the ad. Turns out the bike was about 10 blocks from my house. The bike is complete. The tank had a new paint job until my 6 year old got to it. It came with a clymer manual and a new front tube in a box. The carbs have been rebuilt and cleaned. I hope to start putting it together in the next few days.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by damon916; 08-02-2009, 09:47 PM. Reason: pics
    1981 XS1100

GREAT find!

Someone was just posting that they had seen a free XS listed... Are you in the KC area?

Welcome aboard!

and don't be too surprised if the green eyed monster rears its ugly head now... Many of us dream of finding a deal like this one...
    lol
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

Nice!!!

You have officially been bitten obsession,compulsion, addiction are just a few of the symptoms "Good Job Lucky Dog" Right Place Right time is Sweet and so is your bike Welcome
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Have fun with those carbs! Is it just me or is that tank mounted a little funny??
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

wow...look at how nice the exhaust is!..worth a mint. Nice find & welcome.
          Guy

'78E

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Comment

Is it just me or is that tank mounted a little funny??
            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Yeah, Cbug... tank looks like it's altered a bit, the seats different, and it's had the grab bar and seat trim removed... kinda makes it looked bobbed a bit!

I bet when he comes back from the military... he may not be too happy w/ Momma...
              '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
              "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Ohhh, almost forgot...

Welcome to the forum, Damon 916! Great score....

When you get her goin'... Ride safe! Watch out for the other yaaahoos out there... and remember... we're the invisible ones to them!

I didn't catch how much prior riding experience you've had... but these can get away from you if you're not used to them! They're not near what the new bikes today are... but they are heavy, and pack some torque...

You'll see when you get running right... pretty strong. Lot of fun!

A rider safety course might be suggested if you haven't ridden much or haven't ever taken one... JAT! Every little bit might help keep a guy out of trouble, ya know? Again... Welcome!
                Regards,
                Bob
                Last edited by XJOK2PLAY; 08-02-2009, 10:32 PM.
                '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Welcome,

Some guys just live in the right neighborhoods...

Great looking bike.

The price will take the sting out of buying any parts!!!

Rodger
                  RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Hey nice bike, congrats on the find. These bikes are so easy to repair/ maintain, you are goin to love it.
                    Welcome

Comment

Wow! Just... wow! Welcome to the forum, Damon, that's a really nice bike!

Regards,

Scott
                      -- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Thanks, everyone. The tank and seat are just resting on there. I pulled them off and set them on the lawn. Not long after that I looked over and my son had the seat sitting on the freshly painted tank and was riding it like a horse. He's going to help?! me sand it down and paint it gray to match the side covers. I'm taking a quick break from putting the carb assembly back together. As to my experience riding; I have been riding for 15 or so years. Started on a chopped KZ400 then a 77 XS650, a 1982 Virago, followed by my Dad's 91 Springer after he passed away. I remember his 1100 being scary fast. He did wheelies on it with the full fairing (tape deck and all). I'm looking forward to this.
                        1981 XS1100

Comment

BTW I'm in Wenatchee, WA. Hopefully somebody on here snagged the one in KC.
                          1981 XS1100

Comment

Great find. Welcome to the site. Did someone say free bike in KC. Damn, I probably missed it.
                            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Howdy

Welcome to our family (read Addams)!

Congrats on the "Budget Special" (sounds like a name to me.)

One thing these folks haven't told ya is how tough these metric monsters are. Check out my latest post. Went toe-toe to with a full dress Gold Wing and survived.

My only advise is to use all your resources here and TAKE YOUR TIME in getting it in running condition. I understand that ya may want to get on the road, but check everything before you head out. A missing $2 bolt can cost thousands in hospital bills.

Welcome again and enjoy the ride. None better in my opinion.
                              Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
                              1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
                              1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

Working...
                              X