trainzz derailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trainzz derailer

Typing with one hand as the wrist on the other arm is broken. Bike has a tweaked front end. Was under hard baking this morning to avoid another rider when I was clipped by a Gold Wing. Managed to straighten the forks enough to ride the remaining 73 miles home. Went to the emergency room and found out I had a fractured wrist on my throttle hand. Got home from the hospital, went to open the garage door and the top panel folded up in the center. Terri was on the road trying to get home from the kids house in the NE part of the state.
    but she got home ok.

Damage report:

Thunderpig- lower left case over alternator has a hole punched in it. Headlight bracket bend but fixable. Rear left turn signal toast when the bike went down. From forks look like all I need to do is loosen then straighten. Fork tube and triple tree look ok.

Me- various scrapes and bruises from falling on my fat butt on the highway. wrist fracture on right arm. Have to see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to see if they need to pin the fracture. Estimate it will be a couple of weeks before I can ride again if I don't get surgery. So I am hopefully going to get the bike up and running in 2-3 weeks.

If anyone has a lower left case for an '80 special, I can scrape together a few pennies . PM me . I have another front end on the parts bike if I can't straighten the tweaked on on Pig. But that may have to wait until I head and accumulate the tools needed.

Some days it doesn't pay to break out of the cell block.
    Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
    1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
    1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Good Heavenly days Lee

There are better ways to add excitement to your life, ya know...

So sorry to hear of your misfortune but SO glad it wasn't any worse!

and the garage door? man that was just adding insult to injury...

Hang in there Bud
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

Comment

That sucks, at least your okay. So............ did the Goldwing stop and help you at least???
      My 4th of July weekend was very similar. In-laws dog died on the 1st so we let them borrow our dogs, I'll get back to that one later. The 3rd I missed an important service call so boss gave me a "verbal". Later that night a/c in the house went out, got up at 6am on the 4th to start tearing it apart. Saw it was the capacitor, called what seemed like 50 numbers before I finally talked to someone that would sell me the part. Later that day my wife tripped and broke her arm, so no fireworks for us. And on the 5th we got a phone call at 1:15am from her mom saying she lost one of our dogs. After about an hour driving around the hood of Grand Prairie with a spotlight, we went back to her parents house and found her buried in a 3 foot pile of clothes, boxes of junk and magazines. Ever seen Clean House???
      http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Holy Boxcars, Lee!

Are some of the idiots getting a hold of some tainted water up there in Kansas these days or what!?!? Everybody was trying to talk me into going up there last weekend. and I was so bummed the XJ wouldn't cooperate...
        But now I dunno...

First Ivan, now you! Man... I'm glad you survived and didn't get hurt worse!
        Sorry to hear about your wrist.

Can't believe that happened w/ the garage door, too! That sucks!!!

The only guy I know that has a Special lives in Co. I don't think he'd have a cover... but there is a real good bike salvage about 10 miles from where he lives. If it would help ya, I could give him a shout and ask him to check for one?
        When you can, you might take down a detailed list of the parts you need and PM me with them... and I'll relay to him, ok? Maybe we'll get lucky...

Please take care of yourself, Lee.

Just got home from Stillwater. Got the stator replaced today on the XJ. Worked great, and went well. Left side turn signals now work properly! Got a few other things on the bike I've been wanting to get done taken care of today, too. Took it out for about a 20 mile ride... all is well again with my world... she ran great.

Sorry to hear this happened to you Lee. Was it the GoldWing's fault or what?
        Take it easy...
        '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
        "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Thumb throttle? JAT

"Estimate it will be a couple of weeks before I can ride again if I don't get surgery." Hey trainzz still all breathin' and s%*@ Not only Us but someone "UPSTAIRS" likes You Too Releived to hear it wasn't worse. GWS
          1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
          1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
          1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
          1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
          1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Whoah! HTH did a Wing get involved? That's not a good day but since you're alive and breathing and typing and stuff it's okay to call you a clumsy .... and have a beer for you since you're all busted up and probably can't hold on to one by yourself for a while. Hey, you wouldn't want it to get warm, would you?
            <innocent look>

Glad you're okay!

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Glad to hear you are ok for the most part.
              Were you riding in a pack?I know here, a lot of times when I ride with a group of people,a lot of guys like to ride pretty close.It makes me nervous.I still remember drivers ed,and I have forgotten about a lot of things I did in the 70's.Our instructor hammered into us about the 2 second rule.I think it makes some people mad when I leave that much room,I know its staggered but I still leave a good gap.

Isn't the alternator cover the same on the standards and specials?I thought they were.
              80 SG XS1100
              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Glad you're doing ok, considering what COULD have happened. Gotta stay away from other bikes while they are moving!! How the the Wing faire? Did he go down too? Keep us updated on the repair process (both for the bike and for you).

Oh, and HOW did you nail the alternator cover AND the rear LEFT turn signal?? Or is the signal what hit the Wing?
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

I gotta say Lee is one tough SOB. Riding home with a broken wrist on the throttle hand, that's manly stuff there.

All that and he still took time to come talk to me tonight when I wasn't handling things too well.

Damn dude, you just redefined tough.
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Yup... all the left xs sidecovers are the same. XJ's will work also, but it will have that YICS thing on it. The alternator is on the right side though.

Lee, I have an old XS cover somewhere around here, but you'll probably find a much nicer one through Russ. I can send you this one though if you want it.. and I can find it?? lol.

Sorry to hear about your accident. I wish I was there so I could rush by you and go check your bike to see if IT was OK. .

And 2-3 weeks to ride on a break? Easy there big fella.. Remember that last birthday? You ain't gonna heal like an 18 y.o. young man.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

That sucks Lee. Glad to hear that you weren't more seriously injured. Get in touch with Russ, he will have the parts you need.
                      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                      '82 XJ1100
                      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Clarification

I was still a little shock-ey when I posted, so let me try to explain. We were leaving Cassady rally when a rider at the head of my group lost his do-rag (sound familiar?). The rider behind him is a new rider, riding two up with his lady slammed on his brakes to retrieve it. I was on the inside near the center line and when he braked, he drifted over towards me. I locked mine down and it looked like I would miss. At this point, let me add the important factor. We were on the down hill side so those behind us couldn't see all this happening. My buddy Scott on his meanstreak 1600 tops the hill @ 65-70 and can't get it shut down. He squalled by in full lock up brakes on my right side. I slide over so he misses me. Unfortunately, my friend Jeff and his wife on their 80 1100 gold wing had taken the left lane escape route.

I can tell you that the sound of two bikes colliding at 35 mph is somewhere between a metal door slamming in a small room and a shotgun blast 12 inches from your ear. The engine crash bar on the wing hit my road peg on the left side causing my hand grip on the left side to barely miss his wife and leave a 8 inch crease in his trunk hard bag. My handle bar cracked my right wrist as my bike went down in the center of the highway. The damage to my bike was a hole in my lower left engine case. The left rear turn signal was from the bike hitting the pavement. And the jury is still out as to whether the forks are tweaked or if they can be adjusted back in line. AS this is beyond my capabilities, the local Yamaha shop will hear from me when I can ride it down there. BTW, Jeff rode his wing to a stop and no one besides me went down.

Ironically, the guy who lost his rag never knew what happened behind him. He sure was surprised when he caught up with us in town and we told him what had happened. The look on his face when I handed him his little cap was priceless.

As to being tough for riding home with a busted bike and a busted arm, you have to see it from my perspective. If I had used my roadside assistance and had the bike towed home, I would have been forced to ride b!tch on a Harley Ultra home. Like that is any choice.

I am taking off in an hour to see the surgeon. I think I'll take my pickup....and wear a seat belt.
                        Lee aka trainzz

I am my inner child!!

I have no idea how you managed to make that connection within your brain, but I applaud whatever cellular mutation just took place.

1980 XS11 Special-"Thunder Pig"
                        1980 XS11 Special-"Crazy Trainz" (project bike)
                        1979 Xs1100 Standard ( parts,parts,parts)

Comment

Originally posted by Trainzz View Post
                          As to being tough for riding home with a busted bike and a busted arm, you have to see it from my perspective. If I had used my roadside assistance and had the bike towed home, I would have been forced to ride b!tch on a Harley Ultra home. Like that is any choice.
                          You have chosen wisely...

At least this way, you now hold the title of "Whoa! What a manly man!"
                          Rather than... well... the alternative...

Best o' luck with the Doc
                          81 SH Something Special
                          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                          80 LG Black Magic
                          78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                          For those on FB

Comment

I can tell you that the sound of two bikes colliding at 35 mph is somewhere between a metal door slamming in a small room and a shotgun blast 12 inches from your ear.
                            Unfortunately, I actually know the sound that you are referring to (so does Russ79). Glad to see that everyone is (mostly) alright. Bikes can be fixed pretty easily.
                            Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                            '82 XJ1100
                            '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

there's something to be thankful for, Lee

the fact that you didn't have one of a kind Samsonite luggage on your bike...

(sorry Harry... I couldn't resist)

81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                              80 LG Black Magic
                              78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                              For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                              X