Paint problem on my cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint problem on my cage

Can the pro painters here give me a hand on the paint problem on my cage. I bought a car that the passenger side quarter panel, rear bumper, and part of the passenger rear door has been repainted and there are a lot of little bumps in the paint. I think these bumps are dust particles. I have been told there is a way to shave off, or rub off with clay, these bumps. I really haven't a clue on what to do, and equally important , how to do the repairs. Any help out there for me?
    Jack
    J.D."Jack" Smith
    1980G&S "Halfbreed"
    1978E straight job
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

You could try an auto detailer in your area. There's one here that does "Magic Clay Bar" that's suppose to make the paint super smooth.
    Ray

'79 XS1100 Special - An XS Odyssey <<-- Click it, you know you want to!
    '07 FJR1300

Comment

Check this site

http://www.autobodystore.com/ HTH
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Another thing to worry about

Originally posted by xs11jack View Post
        Can the pro painters here give me a hand on the paint problem on my cage. I bought a car that the passenger side quarter panel, rear bumper, and part of the passenger rear door has been repainted and there are a lot of little bumps in the paint. I think these bumps are dust particles. I have been told there is a way to shave off, or rub off with clay, these bumps. I really haven't a clue on what to do, and equally important , how to do the repairs. Any help out there for me?
        Jack
        Hi Jack,
        Schming's link will give you all the DIY info you need but ask yourself:-
        Does it look OK from across the street?
        If so, it's only a car, so why am I bothered?
        Besides, with partial paint jobs on used cars, although the new paint is now the same colour as the original paint, in a year or so it won't be as the new paint will fade at a different rate than the original.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

XS11JACK...

I painted many vehicles in my earlier years...

One thing I can tell you about the problem you're describing... it IS a real problem, and it was caused by either a lack of knowledge or attention, or a lack of professionalism, lack of a quality facility (clean environment w/ plenty of ventilation, or they just were in too big of a hurry.

With that said, if trash got on the metal, then painted over, and you try to do ANYTHING to knock it down to smooth it out, your panels will begin to look like they have a serious case of acne fast! (Cause it will remove the paint as it knocks the trash down to the level surface.)

The proper fix is to color / wet sand the panels... reprep, clean thoroughly w/ tack cloth seconds before new paint is re-applied in a well ventilated & filtered controlled environment... aka a reputable body shop or a good paint booth.

There is one member here that may know of some other tricks to short cut the dilema faster & cheaper than I do... "Paintman". You might PM him??

Good luck.
          '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
          "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate your advise. At my age, 67, I am hoping that this toyota will be the last car I have to buy, so I kinda want it to look nice for a while. But, if the price is too high, I will leave the paint the way it is and live with it.
            Jack
            J.D."Jack" Smith
            1980G&S "Halfbreed"
            1978E straight job
            "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Working...
            X