No announcement yet.

One small step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was just 11 y/o, but I don't remember where I saw it....probably in school if it happened during the day on the eastern seaboard, otherwise it was at home, yep, on a B&W TV, only "rich" people had color tv..I don't even remember if Color TV's were out by then?

I do remember having the Saturn V model kit, along with the Apollo 11 Lunar Module landing ships model kits. I was into building models back then. I would sit in my room with the door closed for hours.... model glue vapors weren't bad for you were they?

I also had the Easy Rider Chopper model, had made a chopper out of my stingray bike with sawed off extra fork tubes! Guess I haven't changed that much after all!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I remember watching it all day on a B/W tv but I don't remember how old I was. Back then I figured we would have a moon station by now...

Geezer
      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
        I remember watching it all day on a B/W tv but I don't remember how old I was. Back then I figured we would have a moon station by now...

Geezer
        Ya really. Do you remember that TV show, "Space 1999" with Martin Landau? I guess that makes us at least 10 yrs past due.

Don
        currently own;
        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Do you remember that TV show, "Space 1999" with Martin Landau? I guess that makes us at least 10 yrs past due.
          Apparently... Disco was meant to still be alive and well then also. Look at the pants and boots... lol.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'm sure glad that era is past but I still want my moon station and flying cars they promised by now.

Geeser

Originally posted by trbig View Post
            Apparently... Disco was meant to still be alive and well then also. Look at the pants and boots... lol.
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

There would be nothing cooler than Tod on his XS that has the antigrav conversion kickin around with a foot and a half fro and bell bottoms.

That almost out does Russ and his speedo....

Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I can't help you on the 'fro, but after a little too long between haircuts, it does start to resemble a pom pom or a walking Q-tip.

I remember snow skiing in bell bottom jeans when I was just a lad. They would freeze in that perfect bell shape and beat on your legs back and forth.. (Too poor for a snow suit.. shadup!)

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

What's this black and white tv stuff, I thought that with all the drugs back then everything was in color........ Here is the color version if you want to see what you were missing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4cjP...eature=related
                  http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Nasa

What many people do not realize is that most of the technology we have today was derived from the space program.
                    78 XS1100E Standard
                    Coca Cola Red
                    Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                    http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

The old PDP-11 computer was almost exactly the same thing as the LSI-11 computer that ran the command module for Apollo. They used that same computer in the Bridgeport Boss 5, which was one of the first CNC Bridgeport machines.

The amazing fact in all of it is; that it was only sixty years between Kittyhawk and Tranquility Base. There were people alive then that could have conceivably witnessed both craft take off.
                      XS1100SF
                      XS1100F

Comment

When I was a medic in the mid 90's, we made a lot of nursing home runs. I hauled lots of people that were over 100 years old.. meaning they were born in the late 1800's at that time. Most of them were little old ladies that were still there mentally, and I got to talk with them a bit about life then vs now.

There was a lot of history and stories bundled up in those blankets on the cot. They usually didn't have many people to talk to.. they outlived their kids, and most of them, their grandkids, so they enjoyed getting to talk, and I enjoyed getting to listen.

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

I guess I'm going to the wrong nursing homes then, all I hear about are squirrel ghosts, voices and babies that run under the bed. I do see a lot of their pictures and it is kind of sad seeing them. Military, jobs, vacations, etc... seeing all the things they did and how they are now. Don't really talk too much to them because they usually seem so out of it.
                          http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Working...
                          X