One small step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One small step

I remember watching them on the Moon from a hospital bed, getting my mashed up leg sorted out.
    I was 13.

Stupid motorcycles.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

Didn't you know that they faked all of that?

Just joking.

I wasn't even a twinkle in my daddy's eye at that point.
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

My parents were 21 at that point... I know THEY remember it, but it's all just a bunch of fuzzy video to me

Still amazes me that all the technology used to do that could fit in a wristwatch today.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I was a little older than your parents. Watched it on a black & white TV with rabbit ears. It was fuzzy then too. Considering the technology, it was a miracle they did it as many times as they did without killing some people.

Bob
        #1 ’79 XS11 Special
        #2 ’79 XS11 Special
        '97 V-Max
        '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

I was about 12 at the time, I remember that we had our first console set (with rabbit ears still) and it was still black and white. That was around the same time I used to sneak out at night to watch capt kirk on tv, as my parent wouldn't let me watch it, so I had to watch peeking around the corner of the hall making sure they didn't see me (found out later that they knew I was doing it, but figured if I wanted to watch it that bad they would look the other way).
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I can remember watching it as well on the black and white. While my Grandfather was yelling at all us kids, seems like it was on Sunday night right after Bonanza!
            Richard

Comment

Ah, yes, I remember watching this on our black and white TV too. I was 15 years old.

What I find real interesting this many years after is how many people can instantly name Neil Armstrong as the first man to set foot on the moon, how many fewer can name the second guy, and how rare it is to find somone who can name the guy who stayed behind in the command module.

I ponder what it must be like for Armstrong to go through the rest of his life comparing everything he does to that day, and dealing with the possibility that he may never do anything more with his life that will even come close to measuring up to that one instant. Buzz Aldrin - as great as his feat was, what must it be like to always be the second guy, the one whose name a lot of people think they know, but they just can't remember. And Michael Collins - how many people can even come up with his name nowdays without google.

Yes, it truly was an amazing time, and I am glad to be able to say "I remember it".
              Ken Talbot

Comment

I read somewhere that Neil Armstrong absolutely refuses to give out any kind of autographs. The way I understand it, it doesn't have to do with having a huge ego or anything- he just doesn't want the people to turn around and sell it on Ebay ('cause you know that's what half the people would do).

Also, Buzz Aldrin actually took the whole "second man on the moon" thing pretty hard- had quite the problem with alcohol and depression after he got back.

Still, though, I'm still completely amazed with what those few men accomplished. I didn't exist when any of the landings took place, but those guys have nothing but respect from me.

(I'm not an expert on the space program, but my older brother is- that's how I got those first two tidbits of info. So don't shoot me if I'm wrong.)
                Currently XS-less.

Comment

I watched that movie "The Right Stuff", does that count?

Oh and I saw Chuck Yeager at an airshow when I was a kid. Apparently he doesn't like youngsters clamped on his leg screaming "you're my hero!"

Well, that and I went to Space Camp in the fifth grade.

Well, damnit if I were alive at the Time I would have watched it with eager anticipation, and cheered adn cried and all that.

Unfortunately, I do remember watching the Challenger disaster, happened two days before my 10th (i think) birthday.
                  Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                    Didn't you know that they faked all of that?

Just joking.

I wasn't even a twinkle in my daddy's eye at that point.

I realize you are joking but just thought I'd add...I enjoyed watching the TV show "Mythbusters" the other night when they blew apart myth by myth several of the conspiracy theorists' accusations.

I was born in '64. I remember watching with my sister as the capsules would splash down into the ocean. Cooool!

Don
                    currently own;
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

I heard on Letterman that NASA has lost all of the original video of the moon landing. He made the statement something to the effect of... "What?? It's not like they're a bunch of rocket scientists or anything!"

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Moon Landing

Remember it well at 15. Black and White was all we had and no air conditioning (in Louisiana). Remember watching it on CBS with Walter Chronkite ... " And that's the way it is" !! Ahh the good ole days!!
                        78 XS1100E Standard
                        Coca Cola Red
                        Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                        http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

What is even dumber is they didn't think it was important and taped over it. It's like taping a game over your wedding video but in this case you're not sleeping with the person that is the most pissed about it.

Geezer

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                          I heard on Letterman that NASA has lost all of the original video of the moon landing. He made the statement something to the effect of... "What?? It's not like they're a bunch of rocket scientists or anything!"

Tod
                          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                            Unfortunately, I do remember watching the Challenger disaster, happened two days before my 10th (i think) birthday.
                            That's one of those "remember what you were doing when it happened" moments. I was in class in college waiting to take a test and since there was a TV in the classroom we were watching the launch before starting the test. The test was postponed/cancelled as nobody was in any condition at that point to take the test.

This was at Tacoma Community College in Tacoma Washington. I don't remember the room number, but it was in the computer components class of the computer repair program I was in at the time.
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

never forget it...

I was 17 and living in Tucson with my family...we all sat around the B/W tv and watched it...my Dad had a tear in his eye...it seems like yesterday...what many people seem to forget was the whole decade leading up to 1969...the 3 astronauts that died in the electrical fire in the capsule , plus 3 others that had died as well dont remember their circumstances...plus all the previous missions before Apollo 11. It was an exciting time of my life...
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X