Roadside Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadside Assistance

Another thread brought up the roadside assistance subject.
    I think Geico said they could not offer collision on my bike, because it's old, and that is the only way you get the roadside thing.

So, I looked at AMA which offers it with a membership at $39/year.

Who here has what, and how do you like it?

Right now, all I have is my "get it home" toolkit, which I cleaverly left at the hotel last time I broke.
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

I have a AAA membership, three years ago, when my trans locked up, they sent a tow, pulled it up on a flatbed and hauled it home for me, went very well. I've been a AAA member for a few years now, my mother in law renews the membership every year for my birthday, my kids use it more than I do, but at least it's there when I need it. have a nice day and ride safe
    I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

I also have AAA. When the transmission locked up on me last Fathers day, they DIDN'T help with the tow. It took a second call to find someone helpful, and cost me $120 for a six mile tow and overnight stay for the bike. I have the AAA top tier tow plan, and I have had it for years. They DID put my Zodiac on a flatbed when the spring on the trailer broke and bent the axle, but that was about three years ago as well. Check CLOSELY to see if they will tow!!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I have progressive, and they offer Roadside assistance as long as I have Collision on the policy. They didn't mention anything about the age of the bike being a factor. I have not had to use it yet, but I keep the card they sent in my wallet in case I ever do. In my past experience with Progressive, their service is great, and mixed with the Consierge Claims Service, it's a great package. I do pay a bit for it though ($28.44/mo).
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I got towing (with full coverage, $2000 value) on Kong with Foremost. Cost $125 a year. Insurance is high here on the coast.
          Just got it, haven't had to use it, so don't know about the service. A friend had a $500 tow with Progressive and got reimbursed 100%.
          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

My plan is to call my girlfriend and tell her to bring my pickup truck.

don
            currently own;
            1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
            2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Got my Roadside Assistance plan through my cellphone provider. Costs me about $40/year if I recall correctly. Have never had to use it and don't rememeber if it covers bikes or not. I believe it did as otherwise I don't think I would have bothered.
              The Old Tamer
              1981 XS1100SH (The Black Dragon)

If there are more than three bolts holding it on there, it is most likely a very important part!

Comment

Got AAA too. Never had any problems with them about roadside assistance on any vehicles I have owned. Never had to call for a pickup on the bike, yet.
                My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Mo Tow

I got Mo Tow, now free with AMA. They did provide a lift home when I had a flat.
                  You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                  Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                  Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system
                  Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Here in Canada we have to specify the correct level of coverage to get motorcycle towing from CAA.

I think it's called the 'RV' package, or something to that effect.
                    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I was going to start a thread on the same subject. Looking on the internet I found Motorcycle Riders Association that offers roadside assistance with membership. I was wondering if anyone had that. The annual membership cost $50. (As it turns out that is bike membership because they charge an extra $25 for each bike). They give you a number to call and will send someone out that is set up to handle motorcycles. There is no charge for the first 35 miles. After that, they say you will be charged at a discount rate from what the towing contractor normally charges. The women I talked, to at MRA, also said that they will call you, and tell you what the charge is going to be, before they send out the towing contractor. Here is their link http://www.mymra.com/Roadside-Benefits.htm

I never thought of the AMA. I was a member for about 14 years back in the 60’s and 70’s. You had to be a member to ride in AMA sanctioned races. Seems to be mixed feels on just how good they are. Do they have a policy that you can read, so you know what you are getting for sure? MRA don’t, just a brochure that they send you once you join.

Bob
                      #1 ’79 XS11 Special
                      #2 ’79 XS11 Special
                      '97 V-Max
                      '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

This is what the AMA website says

With AMA Roadside Assistance, you get:

■Coverage for bikes, cars, pickups, motorhomes and trailers registered to you, your spouse, and dependent children under the age of 24, living at home or away at college.
                        ■Coverage in all 50 states, plus Puerto Rico and Canada.
                        ■Towing up to 35 miles.
                        ■All dispatch and hook-up fees.
                        ■Flat tire assistance.
                        ■Mechanical first aid: minor adjustments (excluding parts) to repair the vehicle.
                        ■Emergency fuel delivery.
                        ■No exclusions for older motorcycles.
                        ■Up to five dispatched service calls per year.
                        ■Towing a disabled motorcycle or other vehicle to a shop or the member's home.
                        ■Emergency Trip Interruption Service: Up to $100 a day for three days ($300) in reimbursement for meals and lodging if a member's car or motorcycle is disabled in an accident, and/or while the member's vehicle is being repaired far from home.
                        ■Toll-free assistance available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, from two national call centers.
                        ■AMA Roadside Assistance pays first. No need to pay and wait for reimbursement.
                        ■Free trip-routing service.
                        ■Free limited legal services.
                        ■Free online rewards mall.

For $39/yr, but you have to have automatic renewal with a creditcard. Otherwise, it's $35 in addition to your membership.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/roadride/motow.asp
                        XS1100SF
                        XS1100F

Comment

In addition

If you join you can get a $10 credit towards your renewal if you refer a new member. They must mention your AMA number when they join for you to get the $10.

Use this one
                          Last edited by planedick; 07-22-2009, 06:41 AM. Reason: Add form
                          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
                          Tkat fork brace
                          Hardly mufflers
                          late model carbs
                          Newer style fuses
                          Oil pressure guage
                          Custom security system

Comment

The AMA sounds better than the MRA and cheaper too. Specially if you have multiple bikes.

Originally posted by DiverRay
                            When the transmission locked up on me last Fathers day, they DIDN'T help with the tow.
                            Ray, did you complain to the AMA later? If so, what did they say?

Bob
                            #1 ’79 XS11 Special
                            #2 ’79 XS11 Special
                            '97 V-Max
                            '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

And then...

There's the discounts at all bestwestern hotel chain, motel 6 and others and same for BikeBandit, parts'nmore.........

Diver Ray, did you call them? I didn't know you had MoTow then which was different than the AMA now and it was seperate from the AMA although it was an option with your membership in the AMA for an extra $39
                              Last edited by planedick; 07-22-2009, 05:05 PM.

Drilled airbox
                              Tkat fork brace
                              Hardly mufflers
                              late model carbs
                              Newer style fuses
                              Oil pressure guage
                              Custom security system

Comment

Working...