Strange crash bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange crash bars

I have seen some different types of crash bars before but this one takes the prize.

From this photo it looks like he needs a bigger crash bar.

Larry
    Inventor of the YICS Eliminator. Want one? Get it here.
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...399#post183399

If you're not riding, you're not living!
    82 XJ1100
    80 XS1100G (Project bike)
    64 Yamaha YA-6
    77 Suzuki TS-185

79 XS1100SF Built this one for a friend.
    See it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBYT4C9_6Ac

Originally posted by Yahman View Post
    I have seen some different types of crash bars before but this one takes the prize. - - - Larry
    Hi Larry,
    thing is, that bike don't have a frame where the usual style of crash bar would need to be attached. That one bolts on where it can and I suppose the loop shape is so you can get at stuff on the bike without first removing the crash bar.
    Two questions though,
    The hiway pegs with the rubber buffers on their ends are oddly placed
    and judging by the single glove, is that Michael Jackson's last ride?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I was wondering about the pegs as well. Maybe for doing tricks on it.
      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
      '82 XJ1100
      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Those things poking out the side are known down under as OGGY Knobs, when fairings are fitted. that thing would have left factory with one, meant to protect precious plastic and go fast graphics from ******** induced gravel rash. seems that one went down hard enough to destroy plastics. Fugly without (or with).

Comment

Stunters put those on their bikes so when they're playin grabass with the front wheel off the ground trying to do some kind of odd burnout and drop it, it doesn't bugger up the body work so much. I saw a whole thing about them on "superbikes" once. the one in the rear is (like the one that wraps around the bottom) there to protect the body and in it's case, the tail light, never seen them that color though, to each his own I guess. have a nice day and ride safe
          I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Mystery pegs....

Hi Folks,
            Those are called "Frame Sliders" and their purpose was correctly identified. They are suposed to keep the bike far enough off the ground so that the plastic and graphics don't get buggered up as it slides down the road during a spill.
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
              Hi Folks,
              Those are called "Frame Sliders" and their purpose was correctly identified. They are suposed to keep the bike far enough off the ground so that the plastic and graphics don't get buggered up as it slides down the road during a spill.
              Ahh!! I always wondered what Frame Sliders where! I see ads all the time, selling sport bikes with frame sliders installed. I figured it was some kind of frame length adjustment thingy...
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Do you suppose that the guys that find the stunt bike thing fun are over-ripe skateboarders?
                I can understand going fast. Racing seems more like a competition than an act of vanity.
                I know this is going to bring on a onslaught of comments about how racing is a form of vainity, and it is that, no doubt.
                I just have never understood "stunt" bike stuff.

Rodger
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I think the skateboarder thing might have some merrit. Some people just enjoy puting themselves in dangerous positions, and the fact that other people "ooh" and "aahh" over it makes them want to do it even more. Most people enjoy positive attention, and some just get their attention in more dangerous ways than others.

Racing is just like any professional sport where you are out in front of an audience, getting paid to do what you consider "playing". It's an adrenaline rush, and there are some people who just happen to have pointed ther lives in a direction where they get paid to let other people watch them get that rush. It's not really about vanity, but the attention and "power" that audiences tend to give the racers/sports players sometimes goes to their heads, and they become vain.
                  Last edited by CatatonicBug; 07-10-2009, 03:47 PM.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                    .... It's not really about vanity, but the attention and "power" that audiences tend to give the racers/sports players sometimes goes to their heads, and they become vain
                    And sometimes that "attention getting" vanity goes horribly wrong. Slightly off topic but weve just had an episode of "showing off" that cost 3 teenagers thier lives. The slammed into a concrete wall in a souped up honda civic after loosing control from what police estimate to be a 170km'h drag race with another car through our city a week ago. The 19 year old driver was a friend of my daughter, as was one of his 16 year old passengers. There were four in the car, three of them only 16 years old, miraculously one lived. Broken, but alive. Jesse, the driver thought he was 10 foot tall and bullet proof when it came to driving, and sadly this is something that most teenagers think when they get behind the wheel. IMHO I think we as a society, and I generalise when using the term we, place too much emphasis on speed and showing off in cars and bikes etc and have glorified it too the point that it's become normal for our kids to want to do it, and it's killng them, in droves. Sorry for ranting, but I had met Jesse on several occassions. I liked him, He was a good kid and his death is still a bit raw, but i'd hate to think that there are no lessons learned from his death, and that of his friends.
                    1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
                    2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

I have read something that covers my question. "Showing off". I think there in lies the difference between a racecar driver or motorcycle racer that makes a living (or tries to) on the track and some kid in a hopped up plastic car strutting for his or her friends. Both are fast but that is where it ends.
                      Lord knows I did stupid things in my 65 Impala. Once or twice was enough to make me realize it was a poor thing to tempt fate.

b.walker5,
                      A couple years ago two groups of kids got in a street race in Lodi, Ca. where I live. Trouble was the road went from four lanes to two... The "winner" lost control and hit a tree about 15 feet in front of a home, at something close to 90 mph, if I remember right, tearing the car in two pieces. The front end of the car ending up about a 150 feet up the road. All of the "winners" were the ultimate loosers that night.

When I was in High school and many years before there was a rural airport west of Lodi that held drag races every Tuesday or Thurday night. Can't quite remember it has been so long ago. Back then that was the place to prove yourself. If you didn't whip somebody there you weren't spit.
                      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Working...
                      X